Pentaglot
England
Joined 4970 days ago

241 posts - 430 votes 
Speaks: English*, French, Spanish, German, Italian
Studies: Russian, Japanese, Catalan, Luxembourgish

Message 89 of 464
23 January 2014 at 5:24am | IP Logged 
Opinions needed: as a beginner should I not worry about imperfective / perfective yet? As they are only supposed to affect the past and the future tenses, and I will be sticking to the present for at least several more weeks.

I heard it was good to learn the verbs in imp/perf pairs, but I don't want to do that yet. Right now I would prefer to know twice as many simple verbs that I can use. I guess it is important from the start to at least know which verbs are imperfective and therefore usable to me?

One pair I have seen a lot is говорить / сказать. Well, mainly говорить. Would it ever be possible/correct to use сказать in the present? No, right? Unless it's some weird margin case.

None of the grammar websites seem to be crystal clear on this.
1 person has voted this message useful

renaissancemedi
Bilingual Triglot
Greece
Joined 4139 days ago

941 posts - 1309 votes 
Speaks: Greek*, Ancient Greek*, EnglishC2
Studies: French, Russian, Turkish, Modern Hebrew

Message 90 of 464
23 January 2014 at 10:06am | IP Logged 
An update

Nice book, Assimil Russian Without Toil (1951). Pages easy on the eyes. Beautiful cursive, the most pleasing I've seen.

Josquin
Heptaglot
Germany
Joined 4625 days ago

2266 posts - 3992 votes 
Speaks: German*, English, French, Latin, Italian, Russian, Swedish
Studies: Japanese, Irish, Portuguese, Persian

Message 91 of 464
23 January 2014 at 12:37pm | IP Logged 
chokofingrz wrote:
Opinions needed: as a beginner should I not worry about imperfective / perfective yet? As they are only supposed to affect the past and the future tenses, and I will be sticking to the present for at least several more weeks.

I heard it was good to learn the verbs in imp/perf pairs, but I don't want to do that yet. Right now I would prefer to know twice as many simple verbs that I can use. I guess it is important from the start to at least know which verbs are imperfective and therefore usable to me?

One pair I have seen a lot is говорить / сказать. Well, mainly говорить. Would it ever be possible/correct to use сказать in the present? No, right? Unless it's some weird margin case.

None of the grammar websites seem to be crystal clear on this.

As long as you stick to the present tense, you only need imperfective verbs. That's right. Сказать can only be used in the past and the future tense. The only problem might be using infinitives.

If I remember correctly, I only learned imperfective verbs in the beginning as well. Aspect is normally introduced when you learn the past tense, so it's not important to learn the verbs as pairs right from the beginning IMHO.

You can always learn the perfective counterparts of the verbs you already know as soon as you learn how perfective verbs are derived from imperfective verbs (and vice versa). At least that's how I learned them.

mrwarper
Diglot
Winner TAC 2012
Spain
forum_posts.asp?TID=Registered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 5007 days ago

1493 posts - 2500 votes 
Speaks: Spanish*, EnglishC2
Studies: German, Russian, Japanese

Message 92 of 464
23 January 2014 at 1:38pm | IP Logged 
renaissancemedi wrote:
An update
Nice book, Assimil Russian Without Toil (1951). Pages easy on the eyes. Beautiful cursive, the most pleasing I've seen.

renaissancemedi, it's really not necessary to link here every update you make -- except for the occasional maverick who may be still lagging behind like me until recently, we're all supposed to subscribe to everyone else's log. I mean, if all you post here is *a link to your update* we then get two separate 'forum thread update' mails for it. If we check your log first, when coming here we already know what's there, and if we come here we have to go there to read it anyway...

That said, I need to thank you for your comment about the FSI courses and "attitude" -- they look exactly like my kind of materials and I forgot they have a German course ;)

Edited by mrwarper on 23 January 2014 at 1:38pm

renaissancemedi
Bilingual Triglot
Greece
Joined 4139 days ago

941 posts - 1309 votes 
Speaks: Greek*, Ancient Greek*, EnglishC2
Studies: French, Russian, Turkish, Modern Hebrew

Message 93 of 464
23 January 2014 at 2:51pm | IP Logged 
Got it ;)

fabriciocarraro
Hexaglot
Winner TAC 2012
Brazil
russoparabrasileirosRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 4496 days ago

989 posts - 1454 votes 
Speaks: Portuguese*, EnglishB2, Italian, Spanish, Russian, French
Studies: Dutch, German, Japanese

Message 94 of 464
23 January 2014 at 3:21pm | IP Logged 
chokofingrz wrote:

If you stick to the present, you just need the imperfective, indeed, but you won't be able to do that for long if you want to construct sentences with the past or the future.

I agree that the easiest way it to always learn the pairs, because it's gonna help you A LOT in the future. If you just learn the imperfectives, that's ok for now, but very soon you'll want to say things like "I watched a movie yesterday" and you're gonna need the perfective verb to do that.
I guess both ways are ok and work, but learning them in pairs worked much better for me than learning them separately.
2 persons have voted this message useful

Serpent
Octoglot
Russian Federation
serpent-849.livejour
Joined 6378 days ago

9753 posts - 15779 votes 
4 sounds
Speaks: Russian*, English, FinnishC1, Latin, German, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese
Studies: Danish, Romanian, Polish, Belarusian, Ukrainian, Croatian, Slovenian, Catalan, Czech, Galician, Dutch, Swedish

Message 95 of 464
23 January 2014 at 3:37pm | IP Logged 
Great post (and comments) about common mistranslations.
3 persons have voted this message useful

chokofingrz
Pentaglot
England
Joined 4970 days ago

241 posts - 430 votes 
Speaks: English*, French, Spanish, German, Italian
Studies: Russian, Japanese, Catalan, Luxembourgish

Message 96 of 464
23 January 2014 at 11:54pm | IP Logged 
Thanks for the help Josquin & fabricio.

Link of the day: 100 Resources to learn Russian. Haven't had time to plough through them all yet, but I like the way the compiler has given a level rating and short description for each link.

This discussion contains 464 messages over 58 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version