Bilingual Triglot
United Kingdom
Joined 4455 days ago

1185 posts - 1513 votes 
Speaks: English*, Italian*, French
Studies: Japanese

Message 89 of 91
08 December 2015 at 11:09pm | IP Logged 
Well the JLPT on Sunday came and went. I think that the splurge of JLPT-centric work in the last three or four weeks helped turn it from an unmitigated disaster into
just a disaster :-)

I may have scraped by in the vocab/grammar section, but if so, it will surely have been a close thing. The reading section was tougher than I thought it would be. Of the
25 or so questions I could reasonably confidently answer 2. Mostly I knew what the answers meant. However, in most of the other cases I couldn't understand the passage
or the answers didn't seem to match the passage or none of the answers seemed to apply. The listening section was all over the place. I couldn't focus properly. I had a
bit of a stinking cold, so I was quite pleased that I didn't just cough so much that I would get thrown out. Sadly there are no points for that sort of heroic
achievement.

I've always used the JLPT as a means to keep me focussed on studying and as a level check. So now I know that I shouldn't consider trying again until my listening
comprehension has jumped considerably. It's already much better than at the beginning of the year, but it's simply just not good enough. I'm going to put much more time
into attentive listening: going over passages repeatedly until I can hear everything.

Similarly I need to up my reading speed and comprehension. That means much more reading. Before the test I dropped into JP Books, mostly so I could wait somewhere warm
for Adanami Shobou to open. I couldn't help browsing and ended up buying three books by Yoshimoto Banana (Kitchen, Onna ni tsuite and Tokage). By then it was time to try
Adanami and there I found another 13 books. Some were still sealed so I just bought those based on title and price. The others I picked if they were cheap and I could
read the first paragraph or so reasonably comfortably.

I'll still work through みんなの日本語中級 II in my tutorials and I'll also be sure to revise the grammar I've learned so far. However, my focus going forwards is going to
be listening comprehension and more precise (intensive) reading.
1 person has voted this message useful

dampingwire
Bilingual Triglot
United Kingdom
Joined 4455 days ago

1185 posts - 1513 votes 

Message 90 of 91
01 January 2016 at 3:15pm | IP Logged 
So another TAC finishes.

I did remember to set some general targets for TAC 2015, so here they are again along with a brief review.

dampingwire wrote:
to be able to follow the gist a newscast

Sometimes I can follow a brief newscast. Anything political loses me very quickly but if it's a general piece about a festival or something along
those lines then I can occasionally catch the general idea. I can't do this often enough to award myself a green, but at least that leaves me a target for
2016!

dampingwire wrote:
to be able to read NHK News

I still get thrown by place names and people's names, but otherwise I can often read a short piece (say two paragraphs) and grasp the main points.
That still leaves me a long way to go: I often need to look up vocabulary and even after all that I'm still stumped more often than I feel I should be. Still:
it feels like a considerable improvment on 2014.

dampingwire wrote:
to sit JLPT N2 (and hopefully, to pass)

Well I did sit JLPT N2 but I'm reasonably sure I didn't pass. If I did it was pure luck. I simply didn't understand enough of what was in front of
me. I see this as a glass half-full situation: at least I know what I need to aim for in 2016.

dampingwire wrote:
to be able to watch J-Drama without subtitles

I'm able to understand a lot more now than I could at the beginning of the year. However, I still have a long way to go before subtitles add
little or nothing to my viewing experience.

dampingwire
Bilingual Triglot
United Kingdom
Joined 4455 days ago

1185 posts - 1513 votes 

Message 91 of 91
05 January 2016 at 11:09pm | IP Logged 
I've update my list of things I've watched to include サキ and ふるさと再生 日本の昔ばな
し, both of which I completed in 2015. (Well, 昔ばなし is still producing new episodes,
but I've recorded that I've watched the 192 that were available in 2015).

My spreadsheet claims that I've managed 1849 hours of Japanese in 2015. I certainly
won't match that in 2016 as I'm going to be putting some effort into German too, but
hopefully I can find some way of learning smarter if not harder!

This discussion contains 91 messages over 12 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version