Bilingual Triglot
United Kingdom
Joined 4455 days ago

1185 posts - 1513 votes 
Speaks: English*, Italian*, French
Studies: Japanese

Message 25 of 91
31 January 2015 at 1:34am | IP Logged 
I've now worked through enough of the 新完全マスター N3 grammar exercises that I can look
back and see how much is sticking and how much I need to refresh my knowledge. The
exercises are highlighting those areas where I'm not sure of how to use the grammar
points, and that's helping me focus on specific areas.

I've still not found a good way to use Anki (or any other SRS) to help with internalising
grammar. So far, exposure and time seem to be the only ways that the more complex stuff
is sticking. That may also be how the simpler stuff is sticking too: after all, it crops
up everywhere, so there's constant reinforcement.

I guess I need to push harder to find more time for reading of some form or other.

1 person has voted this message useful

dampingwire
Bilingual Triglot
United Kingdom
Joined 4455 days ago

1185 posts - 1513 votes 

Message 26 of 91
01 February 2015 at 9:06pm | IP Logged 
I've been activating more words in my Kanji deck. In particular, I've been using the
custom study feature to activate specifically those words that I didn't know in my graded
readers. I've since been few a few of those again and I can see that working through the
words in Anki has certainly helped.

I've managed to get through the prologue of イタリア幻想曲, and I'm certainly going to
continue with that book, but I think the next thing I'm going to do is to activate the
new words from Japanese Short Stories and concentrate on a few of those to see if
I see the same helpful improvement there.

dampingwire
Bilingual Triglot
United Kingdom
Joined 4455 days ago

1185 posts - 1513 votes 

Message 27 of 91
04 February 2015 at 12:23am | IP Logged 
Time to review my January goals.

1. I'm going to read at least 200 pages for the Super Challenge. As with December, reading will be the priority.

Well the priorities waxed and waned throughout the month, but I met my target of 200 pages.

2. I'm going to intensively read more of Japanese Short Stories. It's taking me ~15m/page to do this, so
10 pages each week is a reasonable goal.

I'd forgotten about this target, but I did meet it.

3. Counting the intensive reading, I want to read 200 pages in January. The idea is to make sure that I
read quite a bit of Japanese, in terms of quantity. This is to supplement the quality reading that goal
#2 will hopefully give me.

I need to proof-read my goals: this is #1 repeated :-)

4. I'll aim to reach chapter "G" of 新完全マスター N2 文法 by the end of the month. A-D were quite a
stretch, but the next few seem to be less "intense".

Done. In fact I put more time into the N3 book than the N2 one, but my N2 goal was fairly easy.

5. I'm going to shadow 10 lessons of JPOD101 Upper Intermediate season 1. I found this quite helpful
last month and I'd like to keep up the good work.

Done.

6. Anki: Vocabulary and Kanji decks: I'll just keep these going.

Done. In fact I've re-introduced the sentence deck and I've been activating more entries in the
kanji deck.

7. RTK: I'll continue to keep this up to date.

Done. In fact I've added a vrey modest number of new kanji.

8. Continue listening to dialogue tracks.

Done.

9. I'm going to watch at 3 hours of drama/anime for the Super Challenge each week.

Done. Well I missed the minimum by 3 minutes one week, but overall, my average has been
well above 3 hours per week.

Overall I've met all the goals, but then they weren't that ambitious. I'm reaching the point where my graded
readers are now no longer a challenge, in fact I think re-reading them only helps me with retaining some "fairy
tale" type vocabulary. So I think I need to find something somewhere between those and light novels to provide
material I can get through without struggling too much.

I'm finding that doing the exercises in the N3 grammar book is helping to pin-point those grammar points that I
need to review and those that are reasonably well embedded in my head. I'll try to complete the N3 book by
February and then plough through the N2 book using the same method.

Emme
Triglot
Italy
Joined 5137 days ago

980 posts - 1594 votes 
Speaks: Italian*, English, German
Studies: Russian, Swedish, French

Message 28 of 91
04 February 2015 at 4:25pm | IP Logged 
Well done on meeting your goals for January. It looks like it was a pretty productive month.

By the way, I’ve finally read through your Another 日本語 Journal. What an inspiration! You’ve clearly worked hard and consistently on your Japanese and you absolutely deserve the amazing results you’re achieving.

Call me a skeptic and a pessimist, but I never thought that a self-learner (i.e. not someone living in the country or studying at university in the kind of environment and with the kind of pressure that makes language learning your priority in life) could aim at taking the N2 exam in just over three years. You’ve made me change my mind. Now, if only a little of your single-mindedness could rub off on me!    ;-)

Edited by Emme on 04 February 2015 at 4:26pm

kujichagulia
Japan
Joined 4637 days ago

1031 posts - 1571 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Japanese, Portuguese

Message 29 of 91
05 February 2015 at 4:29am | IP Logged 
Fantastic month! Congratulations! Eat some chocolate or something!

dampingwire
Bilingual Triglot
United Kingdom
Joined 4455 days ago

1185 posts - 1513 votes 

Message 30 of 91
05 February 2015 at 9:28pm | IP Logged 
Emme wrote:
Well done on meeting your goals for January. It looks like it was a pretty productive month.

Thanks. I set relatively achievable goals so I could start the year with a success!

Emme wrote:
Call me a skeptic and a pessimist, but I never thought that a self-learner (i.e. not someone
living in the country or studying at university in the kind of environment and with the kind of pressure
that makes language learning your priority in life) could aim at taking the N2 exam in just over three
years. You’ve made me change my mind.

Well it'll be at least 3-1/2 years or 4 years (depending on whether I go for July or December) before I
sit N2 ... passing is a different ball game :-)

3 years ago I certainly didn't realise quite how long the road would be. I think the main thing I've
learnt in those years is how long the remaining road is. Still, I have come much further along than I
could have imagined, so that's quite pleasing.

Emme wrote:
Now, if only a little of your single-mindedness could rub off on me!    ;-)

Judging by how much you got done in TAC 2014 I think you've got enough grit and determination already!

dampingwire
Bilingual Triglot
United Kingdom
Joined 4455 days ago

1185 posts - 1513 votes 

Message 31 of 91
05 February 2015 at 9:29pm | IP Logged 
kujichagulia wrote:
Fantastic month! Congratulations! Eat some chocolate or
something!

Thanks. Luckily I don't like chocolate, otherwise I'd be completely round and that would
put paid to the Japanese listening during the evening cycle ride. (Although I seem to be
chickening out of that quite often given the sub-zero temperatures and the lure of
HTLAL!)

dampingwire
Bilingual Triglot
United Kingdom
Joined 4455 days ago

1185 posts - 1513 votes 

Message 32 of 91
14 February 2015 at 10:22pm | IP Logged 
Having forgotten to update my activity log
for over three weeks
, I've also forgotten to record my goals for February.

I've had these goals since the first week and I have been working towards them, I just
forgot to add them to this log.

1. I'm going to read at least 200 pages for the Super Challenge.

2. I'll aim to reach the end of 新完全マスター N3 文法 by the end of the month. As a
stretch goal, I'd like to get the exercises done too.

3. I'm going to shadow all of JPOD101 Upper Intermediate season 2.

4. Anki: Vocabulary and Kanji decks: I'll just keep these going. I'm going to try to
activate 400 words to the Kanji deck.
   I'm not, however, going to go back over my log and work out whether I've managed to
do this as it's too hard. If I set
   this goal again next month, then I'll record some stats at the beginning of the
month to make tracking easier!

5. RTK: I'll continue to keep this up to date.

6. Continue listening to dialogue tracks.

7. I'm going to watch at 3 hours of drama/anime for the Super Challenge each week.

Edited by dampingwire on 14 February 2015 at 10:24pm

This discussion contains 91 messages over 12 pages: << Prev 1 2 35 6 7 8 9 10 11 12  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version