United Kingdom
Joined 4454 days ago

1185 posts - 1513 votes 
Speaks: English*, Italian*, French
Studies: Japanese

Message 49 of 91
01 June 2015 at 8:20pm | IP Logged 
Time to provide a goals-review for May.

1. I'm going to aim to read 250 pages for the Super Challenge. I am. however, also going to try some
intensive reading this month too.
   So, alternatively, I'll consider this goal to have been met if I manage 300 minutes of reading
over the month.
Done. I managed over 400 pages in the calendar month of May.

2. I'll aim to reach chapter 26 of 新完全マスター N2 文法.
Done

3. I'm going to finish shadowing JPOD101 Upper Intermediate season 3 and then worth through the
first 10 lessons of season 4.
Not even close. I only got as far as S4 #2, so less than halfway to the goal.

4. Anki: Kanji and Sentence decks: I'll just keep these going. I'm going to activate 200 entries in
total between these two decks.
   This way I cna pcik and choose according to whatever takes my fancy on any given day.
I activated 400 sentences and 180 words.

5. RTK: I'll continue to keep this up to date.
Done, although I've let it slip over the weekend due to various commitments.

6. Continue listening to dialogue tracks.
Done

7. I'm going to watch an average 3 hours of drama/anime each week. I'd like to do more, but I know I
won't be able to find the time.
I did meet the average of 3 hours per week, but one of the weeks I missed the
individual target.

Overall most of the goals were comfortably met. The reading has been going really well: I've not
become tired of sitting down and reading for an hour or so at a time. I've even found the time to
start some intensive reading. In the last week the reading was more spread out and not just
concentrated at the weekend.

The new sentences and words have been activated at a reasonable pace. I thought I'd end up
overloading but that's not happened. I find activating sentences is much easier than single words:
the extra context makes it easier to work out or remember any missing elements, so most sentences
ride off into the distance quite happily and don't keep repeating. This means that the pending
reviews soon tails off to under 100. That's just as well since each sentence review takes longer,
since I make myself read the whole sentence (every word) and not just go "Oh yes, I remember that
one ...".

The grammar has gone well too. I won't know how much I've retained until I do a second pass and do
the exercises, but I'm pleased with the progress. It helps that the JPOD UI series of lessons covers
a fair few of the N2 points that I'm going over now.

Now for the less successful bits.

The shadowing dropped by the wayside. I ran out of time and so I made the conscious decision to
prioritise reading and grammar. I didn't have time to do it all so I dropped the one with which I
had made the least progress.

I've left RTK alone since Friday when there was a family visit followed by a football tournament on
Saturday and some DIY on Sunday. I have ~330 reviews but I'll clear that up over the next few days.

The drama watching is still bumbling along at ~3 hours (or 4 episodes) per week. I'm not too worried
that I missed that on one week as the average still meets the target. It is a pretty low target
however.

I'll have to sit down now and decide what to prioritise for June.

1 person has voted this message useful

dampingwire
Bilingual Triglot
United Kingdom
Joined 4454 days ago

1185 posts - 1513 votes 

Message 50 of 91
02 June 2015 at 1:37am | IP Logged 
I'll set some preliminary goals for June. I may come back and tweak these in the next day or two.

1. I'm going to aim to read 300 pages for the Super Challenge. That's a bit of a jump from before,
   but I did manage over 400 pages, so it's realistic.

2. I'm going to shadowing JPOD101 Upper Intermediate season 4 up to and including Lesson 15.

3. Anki: Kanji and Sentence decks: between these two I'm going to activate 300 new entries.

4. RTK: I'll continue to keep this up to date.

5. Continue listening to dialogue tracks.

6. I'm going to watch at 3 hours of drama/anime each week.

Optional Goal:

7. I'm going to try A-D of the KZM N2 grammar book.

So this time I'm going to prioritise shadowing over grammar. The grammar section A-D is mostly review of points
already covered but now just collected together using different criteria. That said, each section consists of
10-15 grammar points. I don't really know how long it will take me to get through these properly, so I'm going
to make this clearly optional so that I'm not tempted to do this rather than more shadowing.

dampingwire
Bilingual Triglot
United Kingdom
Joined 4454 days ago

1185 posts - 1513 votes 

Message 51 of 91
19 June 2015 at 11:51pm | IP Logged 
I've decided to put more effort into RTK, at least for now. There are some kanji that I
repeatedly fail, learn, remember for a while and then fail again. There are others
where I consistently confuse one with another (like trying to remember which of 姻, 婚
and 姓 go with marriage, matrimony and surname).

So I'm going to spend more time analysing my reviews. I'll note each error and try to
categorise it (perhaps "remembered wrong kanji" or "missed a stroke or two" or
"completely forgot"). Then I'll try to use that information to concentrate on the
errors.

For this to work I'm going to need to make sure that I keep doing RTK daily: I can
probably spend the time doing the analysis if I have up to 30 kanji to review, since
I'll probably only get at most half a dozen wrong on a bad day, but if I miss a day or
two and have say 90 to review then I'm going to get bored.

I'm also going to go back to writing out each kanji each time, no matter how easy it
is. I've stopped doing that over the last few months and I think it's one of the
reasons my reviews aren't dying away to nearly nothing. Writing too will be much easier
if I keep to a small number of reviews on a daily basis rather than letting things
build up and then blitzing the reviews at the weekend.

So I'll start as I mean to go on and try writing out today's reviews.

dampingwire
Bilingual Triglot
United Kingdom
Joined 4454 days ago

1185 posts - 1513 votes 

Message 52 of 91
28 June 2015 at 8:09pm | IP Logged 
I finished extensively reading 嫌われ松子の一生 so now I've switched back to イタリア幻想曲
and my reading speed has dropped to about 7 min/page from the 4 min/page I was managing
before.

嫌われ松子の一生 is a grid of 40x16 (640 characters per page) and イタリア幻想曲 is 42x18,
which is 756 characters per page. That would account for an increase in time to 5m per
page.

I'd hope that the increase means I'm spending more time decoding because I can
understand more, but I'm not really sure.

I'm also going to start (finally) intensively reading うたから at least one day a week,
to see how slowly I have to go to fully decode everything.

dampingwire
Bilingual Triglot
United Kingdom
Joined 4454 days ago

1185 posts - 1513 votes 

Message 53 of 91
01 July 2015 at 1:43am | IP Logged 
I've been getting through more shadowing this month than in previous months.

I've found that printing out the kanji and English versions of the dialogue and having it in front
of me makes it, for some reason, easier to work through the text. It means I get to the point where
I understand the meaning much more quickly and so I spend more time repeatedly listening to the
dialogue and replaying the tricky sections. Previously I'd have the PDF open and skip from kanji to
English to electronic dictionary to VideoLAN.

Now I read the kanji and sometimes look over to the English if I need some help. I still stop and
look up unknown words but there aren't usually too many of those.

I have just found that in the PDF viewer I use (Evince) I can open a copy of a PDF and so have two
"views" available at once. (I can also easily do the same in emacs, but the scrolling is just too
slow for me there).

Even so, I think I'll stick to paper for the first pass as it does seem to be more efficient.

dampingwire
Bilingual Triglot
United Kingdom
Joined 4454 days ago

1185 posts - 1513 votes 

Message 54 of 91
01 July 2015 at 10:55pm | IP Logged 
It's too hot to study so while I wait for it to cool down, I'll assess my performance for June.

1. I'm going to aim to read 300 pages for the Super Challenge. That's a bit of a jump from before,
   but I did manage over 400 pages, so it's realistic.

I met this goal easily, managing ~455 pages. The reading is still going well.

2. I'm going to shadowing JPOD101 Upper Intermediate season 4 up to and including Lesson 15.
I met this goal easily too. In fact, I managed to get as far as lesson #23.

3. Anki: Kanji and Sentence decks: between these two I'm going to activate 300 new entries.
This goal I managed without problems, activating 300 new sentences and 310 new words.

Done.

Done.

I met this goal most weeks but failed once by 30m and once by 9m. I didn't even manage to keep up an average of
3hrs/week

Optional Goal:

7. I'm going to try A-D of the KZM N2 grammar book.
This was pretty straightforward.

I said I was going to prioritise shadowing and that's what happened. I've made good progress with all my goals except
watching drama. I think I need to go back to watching anime for those times when I can manage 20 minutes but don't have 45
minutes available for a full episode. I could try watching half an episode in those cases but I don't like to leave things at
a random point in an episode, so that's not worked when I've tried.

dampingwire
Bilingual Triglot
United Kingdom
Joined 4454 days ago

1185 posts - 1513 votes 

Message 55 of 91
05 July 2015 at 11:41pm | IP Logged 
I should set some goals for July before too much of it has passed.

1. Last month I aimed for 300 pages of reading. Rather than set a page target, this month
   I'm going to set a time target. I want to read for at least 8 hours in July. I want at
   least 4 hours to be intensive reading.

2. I'm going to shadowing JPOD101 Upper Intermediate season 5 up to and including Lesson 10.

3. Anki: Kanji and Sentence decks: I'm going to activate 300 new entries.

I'm deliberately reducing the number of goals to leave myself time to take on anything that seems useful at the time.

dampingwire
Bilingual Triglot
United Kingdom
Joined 4454 days ago

1185 posts - 1513 votes 

Message 56 of 91
25 July 2015 at 2:21am | IP Logged 
Well, HTLAL (seemingly) survives another crisis, so I'll try to catch up with some updates.

I've found a JLPT N2 series from nihongonomori, Takepan Japanese School.

I can mostly follow this one, well the first lesson so far (!), so that's quite encouraging.

This discussion contains 91 messages over 12 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 68 9 10 11 12  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version