Bilingual Triglot
United Kingdom
Joined 4454 days ago

1185 posts - 1513 votes 
Speaks: English*, Italian*, French
Studies: Japanese

Message 41 of 91
02 April 2015 at 1:21am | IP Logged 
Time to post a quick review of my goals for march.

1. I'm going to read at least 200 pages for the Super Challenge. I didn't do very well last month, but I'm going to try
harder this month. Before March started I'd read 272 pages this month. I'm going to require that at least 100 of these
pages not be from graded readers or AHIJ. (I do want to go through those again at some point to keep that vocabulary
fresh, but I'll do that once I've read 100 pages out of harder material ... just to keep it easy to track the statistics).

My spreadsheet says 316 pages this month. All of that was from the one novel, イタリア幻想曲, so there was no "bulking up" from
the easier books. (I will be reading them one more time in April though, to try to refresh some of the vocabulary).

2. 新完全マスター N2 文法 has about 45 units of work in it. Some are longer than others, but as a rough estimate that will do.
I'd like to have been through the book by the end of June, which means I need to cover about 11 units per month. However,
that's probably going to take too much time, especially as I'm going to prioritise reading. So my target this month will
be to see if I can reach as far as Chapter 7.
Done.

3. I've found the shadowing both helpful and satisfying. I have also found the TAC February challenge (memorising song
lyrics very useful too). I don't think I'm going to be able to memorise each lesson, but I'd like to spend more time
shadowing each individual lesson. So I'm going to shadow JPOD101 Upper Intermediate season 3 lessons 1-12.
Done. I'll probably be reviewing S3 at a later date, but for now I've done enough work on the first half of the lessons.

4. Anki: Vocabulary and Kanji decks: I'll just keep these going. I'm going to try to activate 200 words in the Kanji
deck. At the beginning of the month there were 4916 new items in that deck. I'll update that figure as I add further
entries.
I did keep the Kanji deck going and I did activate more than the target. However, I let the vocabulary deck slide in favour
of much more reading. So only a partial success here.

5. RTK: I'll continue to keep this up to date.
Done.

6. Continue listening to dialogue tracks.
Done.

7. I'm going to watch at 3 hours of drama/anime. I've already met the 100 films requirement for the Super Challenge, but i
think this is helping my listening comprehension, so I'm going to keep it going.
I missed this target in the second week, although I did meet it in all the other weeks.

Stretch goals.

8. If I can find the time I'd like to translate 8 further passages from 新完全マスター N2 読解. I'll certainly be doing 4 of
these as I tend to do one each week to go over in my tutorials. So that's really 4 over and above what I was expecting to
do anyway.
Nope. No time.

9. I'm not likely to have much spare time this month, but if I do find some, I'd like to cover some of 新完全マスター N2 聴解.
It has 94 pages, so if I can cover 20 each month I should be able to nearly finish it. So I'll set a stretch goal of 20
pages this month.
Nope. It's still sitting on the shelf, untouched.

Overall, I'm quite pleased. I met most of the goals, although I do need to make sure that the video watching happens in future. I'll bring
the vocab deck back into shape over the next month or two, but I've already decided that, so far as Anki is concerned, the Kanji and
Sentence are far more important, and, so far as overall time is concerned, reading beats anki.

1 person has voted this message useful

dampingwire
Bilingual Triglot
United Kingdom
Joined 4454 days ago

1185 posts - 1513 votes 

Message 42 of 91
03 April 2015 at 11:52pm | IP Logged 
I should set some goals for April.

1. Again I'm going to aim to read 200 pages for the Super Challenge. I won't count anything from the graded readers towards
   this month's numbers, although I will count them for the SC. If I get around to trying out Little prince, I will count
   that, as I've not read it before.

2. I'll aim to reach chapter 15 of 新完全マスター N2 文法.

3. I'm going to finish shadowing JPOD101 Upper Intermediate season 3.

4. Anki: Kanji and Sentence decks: I'll just keep these going. I'm going to try to activate 200 words in the Kanji
   deck. As of this writing, there are 4645 new entries in the kanji deck. I will also activate some new sentences but
   I'm not going to set a target for that this month.

7. I'm going to watch at 3 hours of drama/anime each week.

8. I'm going to make a proper attempt at this month's team challenge :-)

dampingwire
Bilingual Triglot
United Kingdom
Joined 4454 days ago

1185 posts - 1513 votes 

Message 43 of 91
19 April 2015 at 10:55pm | IP Logged 
I think I've noticed a pattern with my reading. I get about half of it done at the
weekend. I think that's because I can get a few hours of reading done in the morning.

That would suggest that I should try reading for (say) 30m before I do the school run and
then head off to work. Of course that also means getting up 30m earlier in the morning,
which may prove to be the hardest part of the challenge ... !

dampingwire
Bilingual Triglot
United Kingdom
Joined 4454 days ago

1185 posts - 1513 votes 

Message 44 of 91
20 April 2015 at 11:54pm | IP Logged 
I just went to check when the last date I could apply for the JLPT was (so I could plan
when to try the mock
tests) and ...

Quote:

JLPT Online Application

The online application for the JLPT July 2015 is now closed. The next exam this year is
on 6 December. The
online application for the next December JLPT will be available in mid August 2015

Actually I don't mind too much as my listening comprehension almost certainly isn't
good enough yet.

Anyway, I'll make sure to sign up for December as soon as I see it open up in August.

Edited by dampingwire on 20 April 2015 at 11:54pm

dampingwire
Bilingual Triglot
United Kingdom
Joined 4454 days ago

1185 posts - 1513 votes 

Message 45 of 91
01 May 2015 at 9:09pm | IP Logged 
Time to evaluate my April goals.

1. Again I'm going to aim to read 200 pages for the Super Challenge. I won't count anything from the graded readers towards
   this month's numbers, although I will count them for the SC. If I get around to trying out Little prince, I will count
   that, as I've not read it before.
I managed nearly 300 pages this month.

2. I'll aim to reach chapter 15 of 新完全マスター N2 文法.
I reached chapter 15.

3. I'm going to finish shadowing JPOD101 Upper Intermediate season 3.
I ended up focussing on reading so I'm 5 lessons short of the goal.

4. Anki: Kanji and Sentence decks: I'll just keep these going. I'm going to try to activate 200 words in the Kanji
   deck. As of this writing, there are 4645 new entries in the kanji deck. I will also activate some new sentences but
   I'm not going to set a target for that this month.
I decided to activate entries in the Sentence deck rather than the Kanji deck. I managed nearly 300.

Done.

Done.

7. I'm going to watch at 3 hours of drama/anime each week.
Done.

8. I'm going to make a proper attempt at this month's team challenge :-)
Was there one? If so I missed it fly by.

Overall I met most of my goals. Reading really seems to be coming along so I need to keep that going, although I would like to
find more time in which to watch video.

dampingwire
Bilingual Triglot
United Kingdom
Joined 4454 days ago

1185 posts - 1513 votes 

Message 46 of 91
03 May 2015 at 2:41pm | IP Logged 
Goals for May.

1. I'm going to aim to read 250 pages for the Super Challenge. I am. however, also going to try some intensive reading this month too.
   So, alternatively, I'll consider this goal to have been met if I manage 300 minutes of reading over the month.

2. I'll aim to reach chapter 26 of 新完全マスター N2 文法.

3. I'm going to finish shadowing JPOD101 Upper Intermediate season 3 and then worth through the first 10 lessons of season 4.

4. Anki: Kanji and Sentence decks: I'll just keep these going. I'm going to activate 200 entries in total between these two decks.
   This way I cna pcik and choose according to whatever takes my fancy on any given day.

7. I'm going to watch an average 3 hours of drama/anime each week. I'd like to do more, but I know I won't be able to find the time.

dampingwire
Bilingual Triglot
United Kingdom
Joined 4454 days ago

1185 posts - 1513 votes 

Message 47 of 91
24 May 2015 at 12:03am | IP Logged 
The reading is going much better now. I was taking about 7 minutes per page with the
bilingual stories book. I switched to Yoshimoto Banana and found that I was taking
between 3 and 4 minutes per page. I reached the end of that one and now I'm on 嫌われ松子
の一生, which I'm getting through at an average of 4 minutes per page.

Overall my reading is very patchy: I'll do none for 3 or 4 days and then overdose on it
at the weekend. Today, for example, I've managed to sit down and read for over 3-1/2
hours. I'd rather spread it out a little more, but at least I'm managing to do some
reading.

I've not yet tried any intensive reading yet, but I'll have a go early next week I
think.

So if I can keep up an average of 100 pages per week I think I can complete the Super
Challenge after all. Obviously there will be some weeks when I just don't have the
time, but a quick calculation suggest that all I need now is ~75 pages per week to
reach the goal.

dampingwire
Bilingual Triglot
United Kingdom
Joined 4454 days ago

1185 posts - 1513 votes 

Message 48 of 91
28 May 2015 at 1:13am | IP Logged 
I'm now activating more words in my Anki Kanji deck. I'm using the custom study feature
to restrict these to words with a JPOD101 tag, which currently means mostly words from
the Upper Intermediate seasons 1-3. These are the ones that I've shadowed over the past
few months so I remember a fair proportion of the words anyway.

As usual with these things, some of the words stick very quickly, many have stuck
within a few days and some of them are clearly crying out for special attention. At the
moment I'm just ploughing through hoping to pick up the low-hanging fruit cheaply and
then I'll circle back and round up whatever hasn't already been suspended.

I don't know how people can consistently pick up 50 words per day. I've managed to
activate ~100 in the last week, but that's from a corpus that I've been listening to
for weeks and have shadowed at some point in the past few months.

I've also activated ~400 new sentences but they're an entirely different kettle of
fish. They have mostly been culled from JPOD101 lessons too, so many of them contain no
new words for me. They do contain new grammar constructs or help reinforce grammar
constructs that I need to know. I have noticed that getting through a round of the
sentence deck often takes longer than a round of the kanji deck. I'm forcing myself to
actively read each word in the sentence, rather than hitting the space bar as soon as I
remember what the sentence is going to say, so perhaps that's it.

This discussion contains 91 messages over 12 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 57 8 9 10 11 12  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version