Bilingual Triglot
United Kingdom
Joined 4454 days ago

1185 posts - 1513 votes 
Speaks: English*, Italian*, French
Studies: Japanese

Message 33 of 91
17 February 2015 at 9:04pm | IP Logged 
I think this is the first joke I've noticed in a J-drama when watching without subtitles:

Quote:

ショパンはパンじゃないよ。

It's not a very good joke (even though it's repeated multiple times in various forms) but
as it's my very first, I thought I'd like to make some kind of note!

4 persons have voted this message useful

dampingwire
Bilingual Triglot
United Kingdom
Joined 4454 days ago

1185 posts - 1513 votes 

Message 34 of 91
07 March 2015 at 9:34pm | IP Logged 
This is a copy of my post of 01 March 2015 at 9:48pm from the old server.

Time to review my goals for February.

1. I'm going to read at least 200 pages for the Super Challenge.
Nope. Not even close. I read 202 pages in January and my year-to-dat count is 272, so I've managed
72 pages in February. I let other things take priority in the past month but for March it's time to get back
into reading.

2. I'll aim to reach the end of 新完全マスター N3 文法 by the end of the month. As a
stretch goal, I'd like to get the exercises done too.
I managed to do this. In fact I'm only 7 sets of exercises away from meeting the stretch goal.
(I'm deliberately leaving the multi-chapter recaps and the final mock test for later, so they don't count).

3. I'm going to shadow all of JPOD101 Upper Intermediate season 2.
Done.

4. Anki: Vocabulary and Kanji decks: I'll just keep these going. I'm going to try to
activate 400 words to the Kanji deck.
   I'm not, however, going to go back over my log and work out whether I've managed to
do this as it's too hard. If I set
   this goal again next month, then I'll record some stats at the beginning of the
month to make tracking easier!
I did activate a fair few words, but I've not tracked how many. As of tonight there are 4916 new
and not suspended entries in the Kanji deck.

5. RTK: I'll continue to keep this up to date.
Done.

6. Continue listening to dialogue tracks.
Done.

7. I'm going to watch at 3 hours of drama/anime for the Super Challenge each week.
Done.

Overall that's not bad. I missed the reading target and I do need to do something about that in march,
especially as reading is something I feel I need to improve on before I try the JLPT N2. I'll probably slow
down the shadowing too. I learned some song lyrics for the February TAC challenge, and I found that quite
helpful. I think I want to try something similar with the shadowing just to to to drive the speech into my head
more firmly.

Edited by dampingwire on 08 March 2015 at 1:51pm

1 person has voted this message useful

dampingwire
Bilingual Triglot
United Kingdom
Joined 4454 days ago

1185 posts - 1513 votes 

Message 35 of 91
07 March 2015 at 9:35pm | IP Logged 
This is a copy of my post of 02 March 2015 at 11:29pm from the old server.

It's time to record my goals for March.

1. I'm going to read at least 200 pages for the Super Challenge. I didn't do very well last month, but I'm going to try
harder this month. Before March started I'd read 272 pages this month. I'm going to require that at least 100 of these
pages not be from graded readers or AHIJ. (I do want to go through those again at some point to keep that vocabulary
fresh, but I'll do that once I've read 100 pages out of harder material ... just to keep it easy to track the statistics).

2. 新完全マスター N2 文法 has about 45 units of work in it. Some are longer than others, but as a rough estimate that will do.
I'd like to have been through the book by the end of June, which means I need to cover about 11 units per month. However,
that's probably going to take too much time, especially as I'm going to prioritise reading. So my target this month will
be to see if I can reach as far as Chapter 7.

3. I've found the shadowing both helpful and satisfying. I have also found the TAC February challenge (memorising song
lyrics very useful too). I don't think I'm going to be able to memorise each lesson, but I'd like to spend more time
shadowing each individual lesson. So I'm going to shadow JPOD101 Upper Intermediate season 3 lessons 1-12.

4. Anki: Vocabulary and Kanji decks: I'll just keep these going. I'm going to try to activate 200 words in the Kanji
deck. At the beginning of the month there were 4916 new items in that deck. I'll update that figure as I add further
entries.

5. RTK: I'll continue to keep this up to date.

6. Continue listening to dialogue tracks.

7. I'm going to watch at 3 hours of drama/anime. I've already met the 100 films requirement for the Super Challenge, but i
think this is helping my listening comprehension, so I'm going to keep it going.

Stretch goals.

8. If I can find the time I'd like to translate 8 further passages from 新完全マスター N2 読解. I'll certainly be doing 4 of
these as I tend to do one each week to go over in my tutorials. So that's really 4 over and above what I was expecting to
do anyway.

9. I'm not likely to have much spare time this month, but if I do find some, I'd like to cover some of 新完全マスター N2 聴解.
It has 94 pages, so if I can cover 20 each month I should be able to nearly finish it. So I'll set a stretch goal of 20
pages this month.

dampingwire
Bilingual Triglot
United Kingdom
Joined 4454 days ago

1185 posts - 1513 votes 

Message 36 of 91
08 March 2015 at 1:50pm | IP Logged 
Another post from the old server:

I've actually managed a decent amount of reading イタリア幻想曲 today, over 20 pages so far. If can keep this up I should be able to meet the reading goal for March. The SC
stats page thinks I've read 39 "books", which leaves me 61 to go. That's about
339 pages per month, not including March. So even if I manage to meet my 200 page/month goal I'll still not manage to complete the SC. Still, I've read ~2000 pages more than
I would have done without the SC.

I've decide to let my Anki Vocabulary deck lie fallow for a while. I'll try to catch up with it only once a week for now. In its place I'm going to push harder with the
kanji deck and to let anki more aggressively kill off the words that don't stick quickly. Hopefully I'll end up with more rapid vocabulary acquisition this way and I can
go back for the stragglers later on if I have time.

I'm currently mining 新完全マスター N3 文法 for vocabulary. I'll be doing the same for 新完全マスター N2 文法 as I go along.

dampingwire
Bilingual Triglot
United Kingdom
Joined 4454 days ago

1185 posts - 1513 votes 

Message 37 of 91
09 March 2015 at 12:34pm | IP Logged 
I'd fiddled in hosts on my work W7 box too!

Hopefully that's the last place I need to revert a change ...

dampingwire
Bilingual Triglot
United Kingdom
Joined 4454 days ago

1185 posts - 1513 votes 

Message 38 of 91
22 March 2015 at 6:48pm | IP Logged 
dampingwire wrote:
I'd fiddled in hosts on my work W7 box too!

Hopefully that's the last place I need to revert a change ...

I did wonder whether I'd really forgotten to update my journal since the end of last
month, so I went to check the old site and it does look as though it has vanished now.

dampingwire
Bilingual Triglot
United Kingdom
Joined 4454 days ago

1185 posts - 1513 votes 

Message 39 of 91
22 March 2015 at 10:56pm | IP Logged 
A brief progress report on my March goals (mostly so I don't need to count stuff up in a week's time!).

dampingwire wrote:

2. 新完全マスター N2 文法: So my target this month will be to see if I can reach as far as Chapter 7.

I reached Chapter 7 today. I've not done any of the exercises yet, as I don't think I required that.

Rather than go further into the book, I'll double back now and start doing the exercises.

dampingwire wrote:

4. Anki: Vocabulary and Kanji decks: I'll just keep these going. I'm going to try to activate 200 words in the Kanji deck.

I've activated 348 entries so far. So I've met this goal. More importantly, that means I should know almost all of the
vocabulary in the JPOD lessons up to UI S1. I still have ~265 vocabulary entries from KZM-N2G to activate, plus however many
new words are waiting from my vocabulary mining sweep of KZM-N3G. There are just over 3100 active entries in my Kanji deck at
the moment.

dampingwire
Bilingual Triglot
United Kingdom
Joined 4454 days ago

1185 posts - 1513 votes 

Message 40 of 91
29 March 2015 at 10:00pm | IP Logged 
I've not posted much lately but I have still been working at the Japanese. This week I've
tried hard to use every opportunity to work on reading. Hopefully I'll be able to finish
extensively reading my current novel, then I'll switch back to something simpler. I want
another pass through my graded readers (to see how the fairy-tale vocabulary is
sticking), look at Little Prince and one other very short children's book I have and then
dive back into Japanese Short Stories. This time I want to tackle that one with at least
some intensive reading.

This discussion contains 91 messages over 12 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 46 7 8 9 10 11 12  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version