United Kingdom
Joined 4455 days ago

1185 posts - 1513 votes 
Speaks: English*, Italian*, French
Studies: Japanese

Message 81 of 91
23 October 2015 at 10:53pm | IP Logged 
I've been through the first 26 chapters of 新完全マスター N2 文法, this time completing
the exercises. That's the numbered chapters of Part 1 done. I'm now going to skip
forward to Part 3 as that's short but contains quite a lot of useful information
about putting things together at the sentence level.
1 person has voted this message useful

dampingwire
Bilingual Triglot
United Kingdom
Joined 4455 days ago

1185 posts - 1513 votes 

Message 82 of 91
30 October 2015 at 8:06pm | IP Logged 
I've sat two mock N2 tests that I found on the web somewhere. Neither of these is an official mock from the Japan
Foundation. I assume that they have been put together by a language school or university (although I see no
attribution on them).

I think I have my work cut out for me. Even though the second test felt "a little better", the results are about
the same.

1st test:

vocab/grammar: 17/44
shattered sentences: 0/5
reading: 5/26

2nd test:

vocab/grammar: 18/44
shattered sentences: 0/5
reading: 9/26

As it so happens I ran out of time in the second test (I was deliberately forcing myself to read more carefully).
So about 10 minutes from the end I started from the back and randomly ticked answers to make sure that nothing was
missed, and then resumed answering properly from where I'd left off. As it turns out, 3 of my "points" came from
the 6 guesses that I didn't have time to answer. So without those guesses my reading scores would both have been
~20%. My guesses actually scored at 50%. I know it's not the right thing to do, but perhaps my exam score would be
better if I just guessed all the reading questions and put more effort into the grammar/vocab questions :-)

I've yet to try either of the mock test listening components, so there's more fun to be had there, no doubt!

solaren
United States
Joined 3327 days ago

36 posts - 42 votes
Speaks: English*
Studies: Spanish, Japanese

Message 83 of 91
30 October 2015 at 9:39pm | IP Logged 
頑張って!

dampingwire
Bilingual Triglot
United Kingdom
Joined 4455 days ago

1185 posts - 1513 votes 

Message 84 of 91
31 October 2015 at 12:29am | IP Logged 
solaren wrote:
頑張って!

ありがとう!

Although I think I'll have my work cut out this time around!

dampingwire
Bilingual Triglot
United Kingdom
Joined 4455 days ago

1185 posts - 1513 votes 

Message 85 of 91
31 October 2015 at 5:23pm | IP Logged 
I think I need some targeted work before the JLPT.

So far as vocabulary goes, I'll make sure I get the last of the N2 vocabulary activated in Anki and also add anything that I find when
working through the various mock test I have. (I have three of those plus the official one on the JLPT website).

As I work through the mock tests I'll also make a note of any grammar points that crop up and I'll make sure that those are reasonably
firmly embedded in my head.

I'm going to work through all the reading questions with a dictionary and make sure that I understand each of them. There are 8 long
passages and 5 short ones in the first mock test. It has taken me 45m to go through one long passage in detail. I guess I'll get
through th short passages in 2 hours at most so that might make for a total time of 8 hours to work through the first paper.

Once I have been through both papers, I'll prepare a list of revision points to go over in my next tutorial. I have no tutorials for
the next two Mondays as she is in Japan, so that gives me enough time to work through both papers, I think.

I'll also try to fit in the two associated listening exams. I'll go through those afterwards too. Hopefully that will be pretty quick
as it looks like they come with a script. (I've just checked. I don't know what the script encoding is - Libre Writer doesn't like it
but emacs renders it reasonably well.)

If I have time I'm going to start to intensively listen to each UI S5 lesson, not just the dialogues. I have found in the past that
listening to a lesson really does reinforce vocabulary that I already know. Hopefully if I learn each lesson thoroughly then the
reinforcement will be even more thorough.

dampingwire
Bilingual Triglot
United Kingdom
Joined 4455 days ago

1185 posts - 1513 votes 

Message 86 of 91
01 November 2015 at 7:40pm | IP Logged 
I never got around to setting any targets for October and I won't be setting any for November either: this month is reserved for whatever seems the
most appropriate things to work on for the upcoming JLPT at the beginning of December.

Even without specific targets I did get through some things that I'd decided I wanted to get done in October.

I've pushed hard on my Kanji deck. I had previously introduced myself to all the (memrise) N2 vocabulary using my vocabulary deck, where I went from
English to Japanese. Although the kanji representation was present in that deck, it was never my focus. Now I've been cramming 50 words per day in
order to tackle the same work but from the Japanese -> meaning direction. I still call it my Kanji deck, because that is how it started out, but it
does also include kana words. So 50 a day would have been impossible if they were all new words, but as I already knew many of the meanings and quite
a few of the kanji anyway, I've been able to keep on top of it. Overall I activated 1370 words during October. In addition I activated 220 new
sentences. I still have ~180 N2 words to activate in that deck. I should be able to get that finished in the coming week. After that I'll add any new
words that I mine from the various mock test to which I have access.

In my tutorials I have now reached the end of みんなの日本語中級 I. I expect that we'll start on みんなの日本語中級 II sometime after the JLPT: I want to go
over the mock tests, or at least the parts I don't understand, and I expect that that will fill the 3 remaining tutorials.

I had started a second pass of 新完全マスター N2 聴解, and I still intend to get some work done on that, particularly those sections where it
concentrates on useful speech patterns and their meanings. However, that work will only be done when I don't have something more directly related to
the upcoming test. Similarly I've managed a second pass through 新完全マスター N2 文法 – Part 1 as far as Chapter 26, working through the exercises. What
I'll do now is build a list of grammar points based on looking at the mocks and then concentrate on those as required.

I completed the Super Challenge during October and carried on until the end of the book I was reading. Since then my reading has either been NHK News
on the web or mock tests or JPOD lesson transcripts and, of course, some mock tests. I'll probably pick up one of the books I've been reading again in
January and start on some intensive reading.

I haven't watched any new drama in October. I have been watching episodes of ふるさと再生 日本の昔ばなし, which I find to be a useful way of breaking up
blocks of other study. I am still watching ミス・パイロット intensively, but that's only happening occasionally as there just hasn't been enough time to
do more.

So overall October was a reasonably productive month. If nothing else I've learned that I need to do some focussed work for the JLPT!

dampingwire
Bilingual Triglot
United Kingdom
Joined 4455 days ago

1185 posts - 1513 votes 

Message 87 of 91
11 November 2015 at 8:35pm | IP Logged 
I tried the 2011 mock test:

vocab/grammar: 23/44
shattered sentences: 2/5
reading: 9/26

I went through both the vocabulary and the reading more slowly. It helped with the
vocabulary, which is now (perhaps) a borderline pass. However, the reading needs
much more work. Even when I knew roughly what the passage was about, I still didn't
have enough detailed knowledge to work out the right answer. So I need to get more
reading under my belt in the next few weeks.

I've also had a go at one of the listening tests and it didn't seem to go as badly
as I thought it would. However, I've yet to actually mark it :-)

Edited by dampingwire on 11 November 2015 at 11:55pm

dampingwire
Bilingual Triglot
United Kingdom
Joined 4455 days ago

1185 posts - 1513 votes 

Message 88 of 91
17 November 2015 at 12:04am | IP Logged 
I marked the listening test and I think I might have scraped a pass - just!

Had my first tutorial for three weeks tonight and we went over the vocabulary part of one of the mock
test papers. That proved helpful, but I need to start to put more work into the reading. I've been
working through 新完全マスター N2 読解 but I won't be able to cover that too in the remaining tutorials.
I guess I should have started working towards the exam a few months earlier :-)

This discussion contains 91 messages over 12 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version