Heptaglot
Germany
Joined 4603 days ago

2266 posts - 3992 votes 
Speaks: German*, English, French, Latin, Italian, Russian, Swedish
Studies: Japanese, Irish, Portuguese, Persian

Message 161 of 168
19 December 2014 at 5:45pm | IP Logged 
Here's my end-of-the-year summary for this year's TAC. Hope to see a lot of you on the next East Asian team!

お疲れ様でした!
1 person has voted this message useful

Woodsei
Bilingual Diglot
Winner TAC 2012
United States
justpaste.it/Woodsei
Joined 4556 days ago

614 posts - 782 votes 
Speaks: English*, Arabic (Egyptian)*
Studies: Russian, Japanese, Hungarian

Message 162 of 168
23 December 2014 at 7:48am | IP Logged 
Here's my summary for 2014.

I was not a good TAC'er this year. Not even remotely. Apart from a few disjointed
attempts at reading in Russian and Japanese, I have almost abandoned the two, and my
log reflects this. It's not for lack of motivation, though certainly it's because a
lot of sudden changes took place over a short period of time, and their impact left me
drained. But I have really sized up the situation, and the time I realistically have,
and have been steadily working to establish a routine over the past few months. I'm
glad to say it's working, so I'm definitely optimistic that 2015 will be THE year for
Russian and Japanese. I love my two dear friends, and I miss the time spent doing
actual learning, not to mention participating with everyone on the forum.

I will not be joining the Russian team for 2015, choosing to keep my focus on only one
team (East Asian) but I will still be working a bit on Russian. I'll
also definitely update regularly on my progress.

I'll post this same summary on my log. I'm not sure yet whether to start a new one, or
keep the old one. I like the idea of a clean slate, but I hate to abandon my log,
especially in its current state of going south, and pretty darn fast. It feel like I'm
closing down a failure of a project. So, I'll think it over the next few days. In the
meantime, good luck, folks! See you all on the 2015 East Asian team!

mrwarper
Diglot
Winner TAC 2012
Spain
forum_posts.asp?TID=Registered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 4985 days ago

1493 posts - 2500 votes 
Speaks: Spanish*, EnglishC2
Studies: German, Russian, Japanese

Message 163 of 168
12 January 2015 at 8:20pm | IP Logged 
Well, my 2014 summary starts here (a rather long summary for a most unproductive year), but the part that may be relevant to Japanese I'll paste here for your convenience:

Of these, I didn't manage to get to 2 hours of speaking in Japanese. Exchanges of pleasantries I can manage, anything I attempt beyond that makes me quickly fall back to Spanish, English or whatever, because my vocabulary is so limited I'm (theoretically) better at connecting stuff than I am at actually uttering sentences to be connected. Fortunately, my main goal when meeting my friend was talking to him, not necessarily doing so in Japanese.

Right after coming back from Madrid I tried to watch a Kurosawa movie I had previously seen with another friend years ago and I couldn't understand more than a few words here and there, way less than I seemed to recall. I guess what you lose first is whatever stuff is most lightly connected (or unconnected) to anything else.

So, Japanese was a total* failure, but again no surprises.

The only thing I regret is having neglected the team thread as well, especially because I was co-captain/helmsman. Not that it was very active anyway, but rather than going with the saying "the sorrow of the many is a fool's consolation", I'll take it is a lesson to not partake in any future teams until I actually activate my studies beforehand so there's an actual chance of positive contribution from my part.

Sorry everyone. I hope 切腹 is not expected from me, though ; (
2 persons have voted this message useful

Monox D. I-Fly
Indonesia
monoxdifly.iopc.us
Joined 4894 days ago

762 posts - 664 votes 
Speaks: Indonesian*

Message 164 of 168
22 September 2016 at 4:44pm | IP Logged 
mrwarper wrote:

Ummm... What does 切腹 mean and how to read it? 切 means "cut", right?

Woodsei
Bilingual Diglot
Winner TAC 2012
United States
justpaste.it/Woodsei
Joined 4556 days ago

614 posts - 782 votes 

Message 165 of 168
22 September 2016 at 6:22pm | IP Logged 
Monox D. I-Fly wrote:
mrwarper wrote:

It means ritual suicide or disembowelment by cutting one's own belly; what the samurai
would do to themselves for various reasons, one being loyalty, other, honor; yet another
execution, in times of war. I think mrwarper was being figurative here. "せつ” means to
cut.The word in question is read "せっぷく。” Hope this helps.

Monox D. I-Fly
Indonesia
monoxdifly.iopc.us
Joined 4894 days ago

762 posts - 664 votes 

Message 166 of 168
26 September 2016 at 5:33pm | IP Logged 
Woodsei wrote:
Monox D. I-Fly wrote:
mrwarper wrote:

It means ritual suicide or disembowelment by cutting one's own belly; what the samurai
would do to themselves for various reasons, one being loyalty, other, honor; yet another
execution, in times of war. I think mrwarper was being figurative here. "せつ” means to

"Seppuku", eh? Yeah, it did help. However, I am also curious about the Kanji 切 itself. If it means "cut", why is it also in the Kanji for "setsuna" which means "precious"?

Woodsei
Bilingual Diglot
Winner TAC 2012
United States
justpaste.it/Woodsei
Joined 4556 days ago

614 posts - 782 votes 

Message 167 of 168
26 September 2016 at 10:29pm | IP Logged 
Monox D. I-Fly wrote:
Woodsei wrote:
Monox D. I-Fly wrote:
mrwarper wrote:

would do to themselves for various reasons, one being loyalty, other, honor; yet
another
execution, in times of war. I think mrwarper was being figurative here. "せつ” means
to

"Seppuku", eh? Yeah, it did help. However, I am also curious about the Kanji 切
itself. If it means "cut", why is it also in the Kanji for "setsuna" which means
"precious"?

So, while the kanji itself means cut, it also means sharp, or acute. When you think of
it as an adjectival noun, this acuteness could be implemented in precious or ardent,
etc. As if it means sharply precious, in other words. I don't know how to explain it,
and I'm sorry I'm not doing a good job here, but what I'm trying to say, that this
sharpness is contextual, as it could breed cutting, but it could also breed sharp
intensity of feeling, like preciousness, kindness, etc.
Maybe that's why it's used in the above kanji for seppuku. The samurai is in essence
cutting his own precious life short.

Edited by Woodsei on 26 September 2016 at 10:30pm

Monox D. I-Fly
Indonesia
monoxdifly.iopc.us
Joined 4894 days ago

762 posts - 664 votes 

Message 168 of 168
27 September 2016 at 1:03am | IP Logged 
Woodsei wrote:
So, while the kanji itself means cut, it also means sharp, or acute. When you think of
it as an adjectival noun, this acuteness could be implemented in precious or ardent,
etc. As if it means sharply precious, in other words. I don't know how to explain it,
and I'm sorry I'm not doing a good job here, but what I'm trying to say, that this
sharpness is contextual, as it could breed cutting, but it could also breed sharp
intensity of feeling, like preciousness, kindness, etc.
Maybe that's why it's used in the above kanji for seppuku. The samurai is in essence
cutting his own precious life short.

OK, I get it. What about "setsunai"? Does that mean "unsharp" or "not precious"?

This discussion contains 168 messages over 21 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version