United StatesRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 5150 days ago

739 posts - 1312 votes 
Speaks: English*, French
Studies: Spanish, Irish

Message 217 of 227
10 December 2014 at 8:24pm | IP Logged 
Josquin wrote:
By the way, I finished Teach Yourself Irish yesterday and it turns out that the past habitual has almost the same endings as the conditional, at least in the first conjugation. But of course, it's much less common than the conditional.

I had just made the same realization while doing the final units in Duolingo. I was trying to find out what, if any, differences there are between the pronunciations of d'ólfadh and d'óladh and I guess the conditional has a bit of an "h" sound but I don't really hear it.

Congrats on finishing! I'm trying to decide on a exercise/drill heavy course or method to really pound the verbs in. Would TY be good for that?
1 person has voted this message useful

Josquin
Heptaglot
Germany
Joined 4603 days ago

2266 posts - 3992 votes 
Speaks: German*, English, French, Latin, Italian, Russian, Swedish
Studies: Japanese, Irish, Portuguese, Persian

Message 218 of 227
11 December 2014 at 12:00pm | IP Logged 
sctroyenne wrote:
I was trying to find out what, if any, differences there are between the pronunciations of d'ólfadh and d'óladh and I guess the conditional has a bit of an "h" sound but I don't really hear it.

Yes, the f in the conditional endings is supposed to be pronounced as an h, but I don't really hear it either. Also, some consonants get devoiced in front of the f, so this might be a little hint. Anyway, considering the similar forms it's not surprising the conditional and the past habitual have merged into one tense in Scottish Gaelic.

Quote:
Congrats on finishing! I'm trying to decide on a exercise/drill heavy course or method to really pound the verbs in. Would TY be good for that?

Thank you very much! I wouldn't recommend TY in order to practise grammar. There are very few exercises in each unit and most of them consist of "fill in the blanks". Maybe, Nancy Stenson's Basic Irish would suit you better? There's also Intermediate Irish by the same author.
2 persons have voted this message useful

jeff_lindqvist
Diglot
SwedenRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 6668 days ago

4250 posts - 5710 votes 
Speaks: Swedish*, English
Studies: German, Spanish, Russian, Dutch, Mandarin, Esperanto, Irish, French
Personal Language Map

Message 219 of 227
11 December 2014 at 6:50pm | IP Logged 
I've found both Nancy Stenson volumes very useful. Each chapter has a lot of exercises (and there's a key as well).
2 persons have voted this message useful

Josquin
Heptaglot
Germany
Joined 4603 days ago

2266 posts - 3992 votes 

Message 220 of 227
14 December 2014 at 4:09pm | IP Logged 
SUMMARY TAC 2014

I can’t believe it’s already time for the annual wrap-up again! It seems to me we only started yesterday. Well, be that as it may. A lot has happened in the last twelve months. I learned a lot – not only about languages, but also about myself – and I managed to make progress in my target languages.

Well, I studied much less than I wanted to, but writing a thesis and managing my private life took its toll. Nevertheless, I’m looking back on a great year in three teams with a lot of great fellow members.

Also, for the first time in my life, I have been the captain of a TAC team. That is Team Катюша, of course! This was a great experience, too, although it nearly cost me my membership in this forum. Thanks to a lot of good friends and the divine intervention of our admin I was raised from the dead, so I could discard Lassus, my second identity that I was forced to create.

Neglecting this incident, it was great to be the captain of a motivated team that kept going till the end. I would be glad to repeat this experience next year!

Русский

I left the textbook stage behind me and moved on to native materials in Russian. At first, I worked with my bilingual reader, then I read Дама с собачкой by Чехов and started watching Кухня, and then I started reading (or L-R’ing) Игрок by Достоевский.

I can feel that I have made great progress in Russian, which is partly due to regular speaking practice with my Kyrgyz roommate, so I decided to upgrade my Russian to “speaks” status. Nevertheless, my spoken Russian still leaves a lot to be desired, so I will have to work on my active skills in 2015.

However, I simply enjoy working through the classics of Russian literature with the help of a translation and an audiobook. It’s a great feeling to be able to understand these great pieces of literature in the language they were originally composed in.

Gaeilge

I also managed to make progress in Irish. I bought Living Language Irish, Gaeilge gan Stró 1 and 2, and Teach Yourself Irish. After initial frustration with resources in the beginning of 2014, I finally found a good introduction to the basics of Irish, i.e. Teach Yourself. I worked through it in the course of the year and finished it a week ago. I also worked through Gaeilge gan Stró 1.

I think my Irish is in the A2 range right now. In 2015, I’ll continue studying Irish with the resources I already have and I hope I can work through Learning Irish by Mícheál Ó Siadhail. It’s a bit dry and theoretic, but nevertheless the most comprehensive textbook that’s available for Irish.

I also hope I can start on native materials in 2015. I’d love to have a go at An Hobad or some other children’s book. A summer course at Oideas Gael would be a dream, but given my current financial situation it probably won’t come true this year.

日本語

I also progressed a lot in Japanese. I completed Genki 1 and the dialogue-grammar section of Genki 2. I still need to work through the reading sections of the latter. After that, I might go on with An Integrated Approach to Intermediate Japanese or Tobira. I bought both in September, but as my interest in Japanese has decreased since then, I haven’t used them yet.

I’m probably at an A2 in Japanese, although there are huge holes in my vocabulary. I don’t know a lot of kanji either, maybe the basic 100 or 150. I’m not making Japanese a high priority in 2015, but if my interest comes back, I’ll know where to start.

Português

This was a long-time dabbling fling in 2014. I worked through most of Langenscheidt’s Portugiesisch mit System, but haven’t finished it yet. My passive understanding is okay, my active skills are less impressive. When fabriciocarraro and Expugnator asked me during the last Skype session how my Portuguese was, all I could say was: "Eu não falo português."

I don’t know if I’ll go on with Portuguese in 2015. Maybe, I’ll just keep dabbling in it, but I probably won’t get serious about it.

Wanderlust

I toyed a little bit around with Korean and Hungarian. Noticing I already had pretty much on my table with the three languages I’m more or less seriously studying, I didn’t get very far with them though. There will be more dabbling in 2015, probably in Ancient Greek, but we’ll see how much I'll get done.

For the TAC 2015, I will resume writing in my old log, which I started as the Russian and Icelandic Log in 2012 and which then became my TAC log in 2013. I had to leave it and create this one because of technical problems, but as there is a solution for the editing bug now, I’ll go back to where the journey once begun.

Thanks for a great year and see you soon!
4 persons have voted this message useful

Emme
Triglot
Italy
Joined 5106 days ago

980 posts - 1594 votes 
Speaks: Italian*, English, German
Studies: Russian, Swedish, French

Message 221 of 227
14 December 2014 at 6:58pm | IP Logged 
Congratulations, Josquin, on all your achievements this year!

In particular, I’ve loved watching your progress in Russian! Well done on upgrading to “Speaks” status. You’re a great example of how it’s done: following your log for the past couple of years has been a fantastic reminder of what can be accomplished in relatively little time. Now, I only need to find the stamina to replicate your experience!

All the best for a great 2015!

Teango
Triglot
Winner TAC 2010 & 2012
United States
teango.wordpress.comRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 5315 days ago

2210 posts - 3734 votes 
Speaks: English*, German, Russian
Studies: Hawaiian, French, Toki Pona

Message 222 of 227
15 December 2014 at 4:43am | IP Logged 
Comhghairdeas on a really impressive year, brother! Not only have you made great leaps forward in your chosen languages (and a special toast to your Russian "speaks" status by the way!), but more than that, you've been a dynamic driving force in the Russian and Celtic teams and for the HTLAL TAC community as a whole. I'm really pleased to read you've taken the initiative in partnership with other passionate members here to officially commence the sign-up for our next Challenge in 2015, and I look forward to being a part of it all next year with you at the TAC helm! :)

Ogrim
Heptaglot
France
Joined 4398 days ago

991 posts - 1896 votes 
Speaks: Norwegian*, English, Spanish, French, Romansh, German, Italian
Studies: Russian, Catalan, Latin, Greek, Romanian

Message 223 of 227
15 December 2014 at 9:19am | IP Logged 
Hi Josquin, heartfelt congratulations from me as well. Although I've followed team Катюша only from the sideline, it has been an inspiration for me as well. The fact that you have moved Russian to "speaks" shows that it can be done, and I hope to reach that stage myself at the end of 2015.

I am still not sure whether I will join the Russian team in 2015, but whatever I do I will continue to follow your team and individual log next year as well.

Josquin
Heptaglot
Germany
Joined 4603 days ago

2266 posts - 3992 votes 

Message 224 of 227
15 December 2014 at 12:49pm | IP Logged 
Thank you, guys!

It has been a pleasure studying together with you in 2014. I hope to repeat this experience in 2015! All the best to you, as well!

This discussion contains 227 messages over 29 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version