Tetraglot
FranceRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 4417 days ago

414 posts - 582 votes 
Speaks: French*, EnglishB2, EnglishC2, Spanish, Japanese
Studies: Korean, Norwegian, Mandarin

Message 145 of 168
05 February 2014 at 10:41pm | IP Logged 
Welcome Back G-bod!! Good to see you back and stopping to hide from the fact that
you're still studying hard Japanese as always!

I guess I won't be able to leave Japanese on the side if I want to keep up with you! I
don't remember but do you have any plan of taking the JLPT N1 this december or will you
wait for later on?

っつか、 今月のチャレンジーは何だ? アイデアある人いるの? 俺は歌の歌詞を学ぼうと思って
たけどどう? もちろん、 レベルが高い人がいるので特に難しい曲を学 べれるし ひとつだけじ

なくていろんな曲を学べれるから みんなができるチャレンジーだと思う! (難しい曲を探して
る人はいたら Zone the darkness
どどう?)
Btw, what's the challenge this month? Is there anybody with an idea? I was thinking of
learning the lyrics of a song, how about it? Of course, since some people have a high
level here, it's also possible to learn a difficult song or more than one song, so I
think it's a possible challenge for everybody! (If someone's looking for some
"difficult" song, How about [link above] ?)

Edited by yuhakko on 05 February 2014 at 10:42pm

1 person has voted this message useful

Woodsei
Bilingual Diglot
Winner TAC 2012
United States
justpaste.it/Woodsei
Joined 4582 days ago

614 posts - 782 votes 
Speaks: English*, Arabic (Egyptian)*
Studies: Russian, Japanese, Hungarian

Message 146 of 168
06 February 2014 at 6:57am | IP Logged 
Welcome back, g-bod! I was delighted to find out you're back on the team. I have a ways
to go with catching up on everyone else's logs.

I was thinking, anybody up for a consistency thread for the team? Anyone could post
anything daily, be it a word, sentence, paragraph, or anything. Might be good for
encouragement, obviously consistency and making Japanese a daily habit regardless of
the actual time spent on it, and learning new things together. I tend to slack off, but
I really made it a resolution to stick to my guns this year with Japanese. I can't give
it up if I tried.

That said, I will have my 自己紹介 up by tomorrow, even though it's already February.

So let me know what you guys think.

Woodsei
Bilingual Diglot
Winner TAC 2012
United States
justpaste.it/Woodsei
Joined 4582 days ago

614 posts - 782 votes 

Message 147 of 168
06 February 2014 at 7:04am | IP Logged 
@yuhakko: I like the lyrics idea, but it might be difficult for beginners. I can follow
songs almost fully by now, but when I was starting out, it was really hard. Maybe learn
just the chorus lines for beginners, and more for intermediate and advanced learners?

Or maybe transcribe a short podcast/radio drama/anime/song/etc. Doesn't have to be a full
episode, and you could set a number of lines as a limit, like with the self-intro
challenge. 3 for beginners, 6+ for intermediates, 9+ for advanced learners. The obvious
benefit is listening comprehension and word parsing. The less obvious ones are of course
vocab/grammar. Or maybe they're obvious, I don't know. What do you think?

g-bod
Diglot
United KingdomRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 5767 days ago

1485 posts - 2002 votes 
Speaks: English*, Japanese
Studies: French, German

Message 148 of 168
06 February 2014 at 9:50am | IP Logged 
It's very easy to find song lyrics online, which I think makes the challenge accessible to
any level. Transcription is tougher (maybe a better challenge to do in a few months time).

@yuhakko I haven't made any plans to aim for N1 yet. If I make good progress this year I
might go for it in December, but I think 2015 is more likely!

Woodsei
Bilingual Diglot
Winner TAC 2012
United States
justpaste.it/Woodsei
Joined 4582 days ago

614 posts - 782 votes 

Message 149 of 168
06 February 2014 at 2:18pm | IP Logged 
I guess I wasn't worried about the accessibility so much (lots of lyrics and songs out
there!); rather, the amount of unknowns (vocab/kanji/etc)that beginners may have not yet
covered. But we can always go for an easy song! It's worth a shot!

vonPeterhof
Tetraglot
Russian FederationRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 4557 days ago

715 posts - 1527 votes 
Speaks: Russian*, EnglishC2, Japanese, German
Studies: Kazakh, Korean, Norwegian, Turkish

Message 150 of 168
06 February 2014 at 7:35pm | IP Logged 
I like both of the ideas for this month's challenge. I don't learn song lyrics as often as I used to, but I still keep a list of how many songs I've learned, fully or partially, and try to refresh them in my memory from time to time. I don't think I've ever tried transcribing before, but it sounds interesting and useful. Although with learning lyrics it would probably be a bit more difficult to actually show your work, as opposed to just describing it in your log. Will everyone have to upload a recording of themselves singing the song or reciting the lyrics? With transcribing you can just copy what you wrote down into your log, or write there to begin with.

kujichagulia
Japan
Joined 4632 days ago

1031 posts - 1571 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Japanese, Portuguese

Message 151 of 168
07 February 2014 at 1:37am | IP Logged 
Like vonPeterhof, I like both challenges, but... to be honest (and I know I'm the only one here that feels this way), I haven't found any music out of Japan I really like. I've tried listening to J-pop, J-hip hop, J-rock, enka... nothing sticks, yet. I haven't given up, but I haven't been successful after 11 years. So you guys would probably do much better in the lyrics challenge than I. :)

A special challenge for me: how about you guys find me a song, then I'll learn the lyrics and sing it? Yeah, I know.... how selfish. :P

fabriciocarraro
Hexaglot
Winner TAC 2012
Brazil
russoparabrasileirosRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 4500 days ago

989 posts - 1454 votes 
Speaks: Portuguese*, EnglishB2, Italian, Spanish, Russian, French
Studies: Dutch, German, Japanese

Message 152 of 168
07 February 2014 at 1:38am | IP Logged 
kujichagulia wrote:
Like vonPeterhof, I like both challenges, but... to be honest (and I know I'm the only one here that feels this way), I haven't found any music out of Japan I really like. I've tried listening to J-pop, J-hip hop, J-rock, enka... nothing sticks, yet. I haven't given up, but I haven't been successful after 11 years. So you guys would probably do much better in the lyrics challenge than I. :)

A special challenge for me: how about you guys find me a song, then I'll learn the lyrics and sing it? Yeah, I know.... how selfish. :P

What kind of music do you like in general? Give us some examples of artists you enjoy =)

This discussion contains 168 messages over 21 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version