439 messages over 55 pages: << Previous 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... 52 ... 54 55 Next >>
tarvos
Super Polyglot
Winner TAC 2012
China
likeapolyglot.wordpr
Joined 4498 days ago

5310 posts - 9399 votes 
Speaks: Dutch*, English, Swedish, French, Russian, German, Italian, Norwegian, Mandarin, Romanian, Afrikaans
Studies: Greek, Modern Hebrew, Spanish, Portuguese, Czech, Korean, Esperanto, Finnish

Message 409 of 439
25 April 2014 at 5:35pm | IP Logged 
I will be back in a few weeks, you can bombard
me with Romanian questions. I have definitely
levelled up.
1 person has voted this message useful

fabriciocarraro
Hexaglot
Winner TAC 2012
Brazil
russoparabrasileirosRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 4506 days ago

989 posts - 1454 votes 
Speaks: Portuguese*, EnglishB2, Italian, Spanish, Russian, French
Studies: Dutch, German, Japanese

Message 410 of 439
29 April 2014 at 4:16pm | IP Logged 
@tarvos Thanks man! =)

---

Sooo guys, I don't have as many news as last time, but one is quite relevant.
Tonight I'll go to the CouchSurfing meeting as always, so you already know that another update is coming this week!

Japanese - Add1Challenge

So, my Add1Challenge with Japanese is over.

I consider that I've achieved much more than I expected and that the challenge was a total success. My goal after the 90 days was being able to have at least a 5 minute conversation in Japanese with a native, but since the ending of the 1st month I'm having 1 hour chat-lessons on Skype with Italki teachers! I'm really really impressed!!
I also managed to study at least a little bit eveyday, and it helped a lot.

This video is an excerpt of one of my last lessons with Yuri. She's an awesome teacher, let me know if you guys are interested in having Japanese lessons with her.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-C4L9Wgmu08

My Japanese level actually got a little better than what you'll see in this video, because until the 9th week I was studying a loooot! Then, I got busy with other things and had less time to study, therefore I had already forgotten some things when this video was recorded, around the 12/13th week.
It was much more than I expected anyway.

Japanese - Great book!

This is just a tip for most beginners and "intermediates" in Japanese. A friend of mine lent me an awesome book for anyone learning Japanese. It's called Japanese Sentence Patters For Effective Communication by Taeko Kamiya. The title is self-explanatory. I found it a great resource, not as a main way to learn Japanese, but a book to complement your studies or to serve as a "grammar guide".

Chat + Whatsapp + SharedTalk

This past week was quite productive in terms of chatting in other languages. I managed to use some Italian, French, Russian, and Japanese with friends or new people on the quoted services above.

fabriciocarraro
Hexaglot
Winner TAC 2012
Brazil
Joined 4506 days ago

989 posts - 1454 votes 

Message 411 of 439
08 May 2014 at 11:27pm | IP Logged 
Time for a new update!

Unfortunately, no Italki lessons since that of the video on my last post.

Japanese - Remembering the Kanji

What a great book Remembering the Kanji by Heisig is! I didn't think I'd be able to recall so many Kanji in such a short period of time, but his "mnemonic" method works very well!
One think I don't really appreciate is that the Kanji don't have an order of "usefulness", so you'll find a looot of bizarre Kanji already in the first lessons, such as "gall bladder", "prosperous", "eminent", "ladle".... but now that I'm on lesson 5 I can see the point of it, since he builds new Kanji based on the previously learned ones and it really works. I might forget the Kanji, but I don't think I'll ever forget that the gall bladder "is the body part that works during the sunrise". =P
I'm also using the website "Koohii", which uses Heisig's book like an Anki deck, but lets people create and share their own "stories" to memorize the Kanji. Reading other people's stories help me a lot!
As of right now, I've studied 80 Kanji, of which I remember 66...and counting!

Japanese - Michel Thomas

I've decided to relisten to Michel Thomas Advanced course for Japanese, because there was a lot of things that I didn't quite catch back then, or that I want to review.
Starting off, I faced ながら and そのあいだ, which I had practically forgotten. It's an easy task, since I can do it on the subway or anywhere, but I'm sure it'll help me a lot.

Japanese - Dramas and Animes

I've just found great recommendations for Japanese dramas and animes!
First, this link....

http://www.fluentu.com/japanese/blog/learn-japanese-with-dra ma/

...has 10 apparently very interesting dramas! Also, someone told me to watch an anime called 秒速5センチメートル. Do any of you know it? The screenshots on Google Images are unbelievably beautiful.

French - Daniel Tammet

Do you guys know Daniel Tammet? He's that famous "savant" who recited the Pi until its 22500 decimal and "learned" Icelandic in one week to be interviewed on a TV show. My friend bought one of his books in French and lent me, and so far it's very interesting. His way of thinking is indeed remarkable. I'll let you guys know more when I finish it.

Last but not least, I might have found a new Russian teacher. Let's hope! =)

Edited by fabriciocarraro on 08 May 2014 at 11:28pm

Expugnator
Hexaglot
Brazil
Joined 4957 days ago

3335 posts - 4349 votes 
Speaks: Portuguese*, Norwegian, French, English, Italian, Papiamento
Studies: Mandarin, Georgian, Russian

Message 412 of 439
08 May 2014 at 11:31pm | IP Logged 
Have you subscribed to FluentU?

vonPeterhof
Tetraglot
Russian FederationRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 4563 days ago

715 posts - 1527 votes 
Speaks: Russian*, EnglishC2, Japanese, German
Studies: Kazakh, Korean, Norwegian, Turkish

Message 413 of 439
09 May 2014 at 12:17am | IP Logged 
fabriciocarraro wrote:
Also, someone told me to watch an anime called 秒速5センチメートル. Do any of
you know it?
I do, and I loved it. I've watched all the films by its director, Makoto Shinkai. In fact I've
attended a screening of his latest film, 言の葉の庭, with a Q&A session with him in the end (unfortunately I
couldn't think of a good question to ask him). Anyway, my cousin describes his style thus: "screw the plot,
let's draw clouds!" That's not to say that his films don't tell stories or that they value style over substance, just
that his works are a more visual and character-driven experience than a plot-driven one. In fact I find his most
plot-driven film, 星を追う子ども, to be his weakest - I know that the similarities to Miyazaki's style in this film
are meant to be an homage, but I still couldn't help but feel that it was a bit unoriginal. 秒速5センチメートル
is probably the best example of Shinkai's own style, and definitely the most well-known. If you're the type of
person who can cry at movies, you most likely will cry at this one. I'm not (the only thing that makes me cry
these days is this Russian song), but I still found it
very
poignant and beautiful. I definitely recommend it, as well as Shinkai's other works.

Wow, I ended up saying way more than I initially intended, and comparatively little about the actual film.. まあ
いっか ;)

Edited by vonPeterhof on 09 May 2014 at 12:18am

2 persons have voted this message useful

Solfrid Cristin
Heptaglot
Winner TAC 2011 & 2012
Norway
Joined 5125 days ago

4143 posts - 8864 votes 
Speaks: Norwegian*, Spanish, Swedish, French, English, German, Italian
Studies: Russian

Message 414 of 439
09 May 2014 at 7:09am | IP Logged 
@Fabricio: You are positively contagious in your enthusiasm. I feel really, really tempted to do Japanese now
:-)

Josquin
Heptaglot
Germany
Joined 4635 days ago

2266 posts - 3992 votes 
Speaks: German*, English, French, Latin, Italian, Russian, Swedish
Studies: Japanese, Irish, Portuguese, Persian

Message 415 of 439
09 May 2014 at 12:29pm | IP Logged 
Interesting you like Heisig. Unfortunately, his approach doesn't work for me, so I have to learn kanji the traditional way. Luckily, I seem to have a quite good visual memory. :)

I also read one of Daniel Tammet's books a while ago. He truly is a remarkable person. He also lived in Lithuania for some time and learned Lithuanian while staying there. Now, Icelandic and Lithuanian - that's really impressive to me!

Unfortunately, his learning techniques won't work for people who aren't synasthetes like him. I remember, to him, every number has its own unique shape and colour. For me, they're just numbers...

fabriciocarraro
Hexaglot
Winner TAC 2012
Brazil
Joined 4506 days ago

989 posts - 1454 votes 

Message 416 of 439
14 May 2014 at 11:02pm | IP Logged 
@Expugnator No! I don't even think they have Japanese, I just saw this article somewhere. Why, have you?

@vonPeterhof I've watched it. It's indeed amazing, at least the graphics! I must say that I agree with your cousin lol but it is indeed beautiful. Thanks for the tips anyway! =)

@Cristina Thanks Cristina! You definitely should! It's not that big of a monster as it might seem. In fact, I think it's way easier than Russian in most aspects (except reading and writing, of course).

@Josquin Really? Interesting! My visual memory is ok, but apparently not for Kanji hehehe I agree about Tammet, his techniques would never work for me. It's amazing to see that there are people like him in this world though =)

---------

Japanese - Kanji

Still progressing with Heisig's book. I've finished lesson 6, meaning I'm around Kanji #104. I intend to do lesson 7 tonight after my Japanese lesson with my Italki teacher.
All I can say is that I still struggle with some keywords and kanji's, but it's going well overall =)

Russian

Surprisingly, this has been an amazing week for Russian!
I was working on Monday, when a Russian friend of mine invited me to go to a bar with her husband and her parents, who are here in Brazil for the 1st time. It turned out to be amazing! I spoke almost the whole night in Russian with her father, and they complimented my Russian extensively. They said that they were very surprised with the fact that I have almost no accent when I speak, and that my wife must be crazy to say that I speak like a child. =P
Anyway, it was great!

CouchSurfing meeting

As always it's a topic here. Actually, my wife went there this week, so I couldn't really speak that many languages hehehe but close to the end I met a French friend and we he introduced me to his French friends, which was exactly what I needed, since I felt I'd started to forget my French.
I've also spoken a little in Russian with a Brazilian friend (don't ask...)

Edited by fabriciocarraro on 14 May 2014 at 11:02pm

This discussion contains 439 messages over 55 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version