439 messages over 55 pages: << Previous 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... 31 ... 54 55 Next >>
tarvos
Super Polyglot
Winner TAC 2012
China
likeapolyglot.wordpr
Joined 4498 days ago

5310 posts - 9399 votes 
Speaks: Dutch*, English, Swedish, French, Russian, German, Italian, Norwegian, Mandarin, Romanian, Afrikaans
Studies: Greek, Modern Hebrew, Spanish, Portuguese, Czech, Korean, Esperanto, Finnish

Message 241 of 439
05 June 2013 at 4:20pm | IP Logged 
Bravo! Tu vas parler couramment très tôt hein, ce n'est pas si difficile à apprendre
(étant donné que tu parles trois langues romanes couramment déjà.

Edited by tarvos on 05 June 2013 at 4:21pm

2 persons have voted this message useful

Expugnator
Hexaglot
Brazil
Joined 4957 days ago

3335 posts - 4349 votes 
Speaks: Portuguese*, Norwegian, French, English, Italian, Papiamento
Studies: Mandarin, Georgian, Russian

Message 242 of 439
05 June 2013 at 7:22pm | IP Logged 
Congratulations on using your French, fabricio! I've never been to any of the CouchSurfing meetings here in BH, some friends of mine did and they liked it.

fabriciocarraro
Hexaglot
Winner TAC 2012
Brazil
russoparabrasileirosRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 4506 days ago

989 posts - 1454 votes 
Speaks: Portuguese*, EnglishB2, Italian, Spanish, Russian, French
Studies: Dutch, German, Japanese

Message 243 of 439
18 June 2013 at 6:52pm | IP Logged 
Thanks guys! =)

РУССКИЙ:

My wife's girlfriend went home, but not without making me feel doubtful about my Russian once more haha. I don't know really why, but I think that since I first felt overwhelmed around her, I started getting "dumber" when speaking Russian to her (or understanding, for that matter).
Next weekend we went out with another Russian girlfriend of my wife's and my Russian apparently went back to normal, so I guess it's just with that girl ahahaha

Also, some good came out of it. After seeing me mumbling about it, my wife agreed on speaking Russian to me, but we set a deal... she'll only speak Russian on the days I go to the gym (works like a motivation for me, it's great!). Let's see how it goes!

FRANÇAIS:

O Novo Francês Sem Esforço - Leçons 91-99:

WEEEE ARE THE CHAMPIONS, MY FRIEEEEEND!! Ahahaha I've finally finished an Assimil book! I mean, it was only the passive wave so far, but it's still reason to celebrate!

Well, what can I say after this? I'm starting to feel comfortable with French. As you've seen in my last French log, I was able to maintain a conversation in French with a girl from Quebec for about half an hour, and now I can read people's logs in Frech here and the news without much trouble. Of course, my native Portuguese and my Italian help me a lot with vocabulary, so if you come from another linguistic root, don't expect to have the same result (as well as I wouldn't expect to be this comfortable in Swedish in the same amount of time, probably an American or a German person would have advantage over me).

Anyway, I love Assimil and their lessons. This French book in Brazilian Portuguese is almost a direct translation of New French With Ease, and it's really great. It still has that Assimil "issue" of useless words, but it's overall an awesome method for those wanting to learn French.

The main question is: where to go now? Assimil supposedly has an advanced French course in English (according to lesson 99), so that might be an option. Of course I'll try to watch as many movies as I can, since I'm a confessed cinephile. Also, there are always a lot of French speakers at the CouchSurfing meeting I attend every week, so that's definitely gonna help a lot. I think I still have to work a lot on my listening skills, that means, understand daily French, since reading is not actually a problem right now.
I'll continue now with the active wave to the end of the book, and then I'll just figure it out I guess. If you guys have any advice, I'd appreciate it!

Edited by fabriciocarraro on 18 June 2013 at 6:53pm

1 person has voted this message useful

fabriciocarraro
Hexaglot
Winner TAC 2012
Brazil
Joined 4506 days ago

989 posts - 1454 votes 

Message 244 of 439
29 June 2013 at 1:38am | IP Logged 
So, I've finally met a fellow HTLAL forum member in person! Just like every week, I went to the CouchSurfing meeting here in São Paulo, and @Espejismo was there!

He's a very nice and fun guy to chat with, and we could also practice the languages we have in common! I guess it was a bit unfair, since he can be pointed as both Russian and American and we spoke for a long time in that languages, but we also used Portuguese for quite a while, in which he's doing great already!

After having many Skype sessions with our Russian teams and so many HTLAL members, it was great to finally meet someone in person!

About my languages:

ITALIANO

I've been chatting a lot in Italian lately, mostly on Livemocha, but also with my friends on FB.

FRANÇAIS

Not much, continuing the active lesson but at a slower rate this week. I'm trying to read an article on "L'Équipe" every now and then, to keep it warm.

РУССКИЙ

It was great with @Espejismo! So different than my wife's girlfriend. With him, I could understand virtually everything he said, except some words here and there, and we've had a long conversation in Russian, so that's gotta count some points!
After that and a chat with @Tarvos, I decided to change my Russian level to the Basic Fluency. Although I guess I should ask @Espejismo before doing it =P

ENGLISH

Weekly practice at the CouchSurfing meeting, plus forum, friends and work stuff.

DUTCH

Another 5 minutes conversation at the meeting, good to know I still can dabble in it! And I was shocked that at our group there, there were 2 Belgians (ok) and 3 Dutch-speaking Brazilians (!!!). It could not get more rare than that here in Brazil =P

I thinking now if it'd be better to add another language to the mix (say Arabic, or Swedish, or Norwegian, or Chinese, or Japanese, I DON'T KNOW!! So many options! =P) or just to continue developing my French, getting Dutch back on track and trying to master Russian.
3 persons have voted this message useful

fabriciocarraro
Hexaglot
Winner TAC 2012
Brazil
Joined 4506 days ago

989 posts - 1454 votes 

Message 245 of 439
04 July 2013 at 12:22pm | IP Logged 
So, I guess I've kind of decided how to continue my "journey". I got my hands on 2 new Assimils, "Using French" and "Le Suédois Sans Peine", but I think my priority will be finish my old friend "Dutch With Ease". I left it on lesson 50 something, so I'll review it for a little bit and then move on to the next lessons, this way I'll be able to review most things during the "active wave" part.

After that, or maybe during, I'm not sure yet, I'll start both Using French to continue my French studies and Le Suédois. Right now I'm only worried about Swedish pronunciation, which I guess will be a big problem for me. I'm kind of worried about vocabulary too, but since I have English and some Dutch, I hope it'll give me a head start. So, from now on I'll be officially learning Swedish as well! On and off for now until I finish with Dutch, but anyway! =)

Hekje
Diglot
United States
Joined 4494 days ago

842 posts - 1330 votes 
Speaks: English*, Dutch
Studies: French, Indonesian

Message 246 of 439
05 July 2013 at 1:53am | IP Logged 
It's great to see you continue to succeed with Dutch, fabriciocarraro. Veel succes! :-)

Emme
Triglot
Italy
Joined 5138 days ago

980 posts - 1594 votes 
Speaks: Italian*, English, German
Studies: Russian, Swedish, French

Message 247 of 439
08 July 2013 at 2:34pm | IP Logged 
fabriciocarraro wrote:
[...] So, from now on I'll be officially learning Swedish as well! [...]

Nice to see another team MIR member being won over by Swedish. I love it as a language and you’ll see that after the difficulty of Russian it will seem like a walk in the park!

Lycka till!

3 persons have voted this message useful

fabriciocarraro
Hexaglot
Winner TAC 2012
Brazil
Joined 4506 days ago

989 posts - 1454 votes 

Message 248 of 439
09 July 2013 at 11:44pm | IP Logged 
Thanks @Hekje and @Emma! Let's hope so =)

So life's apparently throwing Russian people at me non-stop. This weekend my wife's colleagues from work (she works remotely here in São Paulo, but the main office is in Moscow) came from Russia for a presentation, and she was "in charge" of showing them around and stuff like that, so I went to accompany them.

They were 2 girls, Анна and Настя, and they were both very nice. Настя has a Brazilian boyfriend in Moscow, so her Portuguese is excellent. So we went to the Зоопарк here, and I must admit that I was a little shy at the beginning, being my wife there too, but then we went to a restaurant with "Mineira" food (that's food from Minas Gerais, just delicious) and I got more comfortable! We went on in Russian for a couple of hours, then we stopped at another bar to have some Açaí (love it!!) and finally we took them back to the hotel.
It was a very nice day, winter but 26ºC, clear skies, good company and lots of Russian! Yay! =)
Tonight I'll be at the CouchSurfing meeting, so I hope to bring better news this week!
See ya!

This discussion contains 439 messages over 55 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version