Joined 4506 days ago

989 posts - 1454 votes 
Speaks: Portuguese*, EnglishB2, Italian, Spanish, Russian, French
Studies: Dutch, German, Japanese

Message 193 of 439
08 April 2013 at 4:47pm | IP Logged 
So, things are going well guys =)

РУССКИЙ:

This weekend we celebrated my wife's birthday with her girlfriends and their respective husbands/boyfriends. At some point, one of her girlfriends practically obbliged me to speak Russian with her ahaha and it went quite well for about 10/15 minutes, then we moved back to Portuguese. One of the Russians there was a teacher, and he complimented my level, just said that I need more practice (which is completely true).
Unfortunately now that I'm working it got harder to schedule lessons with my Italki teacher, since when I get back home it's already 23h30 in Spain where she lives. Actual private teachers here are crazy expensive, so I think I'll have to move the classes to weekends or just drop it for a while... =/

FRANÇAIS:

Salut tout le monde!

Essayant de continuer à écrire souvent en français, je veux vous parler de mon nouveau travail. Après avoir fini l'université, je suis retourné avec ma femme chez mes parents. Nous avons commencé à chercher un appartement et des nouveaux travails pour nous, maintenant à São Paulo.

Un de mes amis m'a dit de envoyer un résumé à son entreprise, parce que ils avaient besoin d'un nouveau développeur. Je l'ai fait et ils m'ont appelé pour un entretien d'embauche. En fait, après la première, j'ai eu un autre entretien. Les entrevues se sont bien passé, et après une ou deux semaines ils m'ont appelé pour commencer à travailler immédiatement! \o/

Il y a trois semaines que j'y ai commencé et jusqu'ici tout va bien =)

Edited by fabriciocarraro on 08 April 2013 at 6:23pm

1 person has voted this message useful

fabriciocarraro
Hexaglot
Winner TAC 2012
Brazil
russoparabrasileirosRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 4506 days ago

989 posts - 1454 votes 

Message 194 of 439
11 April 2013 at 4:17pm | IP Logged 
So, on Tuesday I went to another CouchSurfing meeting here in São Paulo (I'm becoming a regular =P), and it went very well!
I spoke mostly Portuguese and English, but I was able to speak in Italian for a while (yay!) and exchange some sentences in French. That made me realize how hideous and messed up my French actually is (haha). I never really talk to myself in French because I'm taking my Assimil lessons at work mostly, so this was one of my first actual conversations, maybe the first one since our last Team MIR Skype meeting (that was a looong time ago).
Anyway, I sensed that I tend to overdo the French accent, and that mixed with my regular Brazilian accent resulted on something that I would describe as a drunk chimp with a phrasebook =P

Anyway, I'm making progress with Assimil in French, one lesson every week day and yesterday I started creating a new French deck with Anki. I didn't have patience for Anki before on my PC, but since I have a smartphone now it could be more useful.

Note to future self: I hope you've learned the proper diacritic signs for words in French.

fabriciocarraro
Hexaglot
Winner TAC 2012
Brazil
Joined 4506 days ago

989 posts - 1454 votes 

Message 195 of 439
15 April 2013 at 9:26pm | IP Logged 
FRANÇAIS:

I didn't practice it much outside Assimil, only a chat with a Canadian friend for about 20 minutes, but nothing relevant.

O Novo Francês Sem Esforço - Leçons 43-49:

Finally! I'm about to start the active way of Assimil =) I'm excited about it!
So, this last block was definitely not as funny as the previous, but on the other hand it was full of new vocabulaty and idiomatic expressions, which made me struggle more with almost every lesson.
My listening comprehension at the first time decreased considerably, from 60% to even 25-30% in one of the lessons.
Some things that I noticed:

- For me it's impossible to pronounce the verb "accueillir" and its conjugations.
- A LOOOOT of new idioms were presented, which is good, but hard to remember.

Apart from that, the review lesson was very short and easy, talking about the participle and passé composé, but veeeery superficially.

fabriciocarraro
Hexaglot
Winner TAC 2012
Brazil
Joined 4506 days ago

989 posts - 1454 votes 

Message 196 of 439
16 April 2013 at 5:25pm | IP Logged 
I have a question, guys.

How should I go over the Active Phase of Assimil?

First try to read the L1 transcription and translate it into L2?
First listen to the audio and then read/translate the L1 transcription?
First read the L2 text, then try to translate the L1 transcription?

What's the suggested approach? I'm not sure.

Thanks!

tarvos
Super Polyglot
Winner TAC 2012
China
likeapolyglot.wordpr
Joined 4498 days ago

5310 posts - 9399 votes 
Speaks: Dutch*, English, Swedish, French, Russian, German, Italian, Norwegian, Mandarin, Romanian, Afrikaans
Studies: Greek, Modern Hebrew, Spanish, Portuguese, Czech, Korean, Esperanto, Finnish

Message 197 of 439
16 April 2013 at 6:22pm | IP Logged 
I translate directly. But you can use any of the three methods, just try it out and see
what suits you best. I usually dispense with the audio, if I want audio I will talk to
people or use native materials, I can't stand listening to those recordings more than the
requisite four times.
2 persons have voted this message useful

fabriciocarraro
Hexaglot
Winner TAC 2012
Brazil
Joined 4506 days ago

989 posts - 1454 votes 

Message 198 of 439
17 April 2013 at 3:42pm | IP Logged 
@Tarvos Merci! I think I'll be doing that from now on then.

So, another CouchSurfing meeting went by, and it was awesome!! Finally I was able to spend some time in a French conversation, and it went better than I expected =) Of course I couldn't understand everything (also because it was noisy), but I got most of it and definitely got the idea of what they were saying. Even better, I could answer back! I bet it was in a terribad French, but hey, it's a start =)

Other than that, I talked in Italian for quite a while, a looot in English, and little bit in Spanish and Russian. I think that so far this was the meeting where I spoke the biggest amount of languages among those that I'm able to.

I also met an Arab teacher who lives here and gives Arabic lessons for free! That made me think "Why not?". I was already getting excited about Arabic after watching the TV show "Homeland", so I might be learning Arabic soon. =)

Solfrid Cristin
Heptaglot
Winner TAC 2011 & 2012
Norway
Joined 5125 days ago

4143 posts - 8864 votes 
Speaks: Norwegian*, Spanish, Swedish, French, English, German, Italian
Studies: Russian

Message 199 of 439
18 April 2013 at 10:38am | IP Logged 
Wow. So much has happened! Congratulations on your new job! I am so happy for you!

I could not help smiling when you said you had problems pronouncing "accueillir". My father was a French teacher, and when the pupils talked in class his favourite punishment would be to make them stand in front of the whole class and conjugate "choisir" in the conditional tense. That would usually make even the most chatty persons shut up and pay attention after he had done that a couple of times in each class :-)

2 persons have voted this message useful

Марк
Russian Federation
Joined 4847 days ago

2096 posts - 2972 votes 
Speaks: Russian*

Message 200 of 439
18 April 2013 at 7:08pm | IP Logged 
Solfrid Cristin wrote:
Wow. So much has happened! Congratulations on your new job! I
am so happy for you!

I could not help smiling when you said you had problems pronouncing "accueillir". My
father was a French teacher, and when the pupils talked in class his favourite
punishment would be to make them stand in front of the whole class and conjugate
"choisir" in the conditional tense. That would usually make even the most chatty
persons shut up and pay attention after he had done that a couple of times in each
class :-)

If I remember correctly, the forms are:
Je choisirais, tu choisirais, il choisirait, nous choisirions, vous choisiriez, ils
choisiraient. What is difficult to pronounce here?

This discussion contains 439 messages over 55 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version