russoparabrasileirosRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 4506 days ago

989 posts - 1454 votes 
Speaks: Portuguese*, EnglishB2, Italian, Spanish, Russian, French
Studies: Dutch, German, Japanese

Message 129 of 439
29 November 2012 at 4:35pm | IP Logged 
Марк wrote:
it's almost correct, but there are small drawbacks.

Could you point them out and explain why, Марк?
1 person has voted this message useful

fabriciocarraro
Hexaglot
Winner TAC 2012
Brazil
Joined 4506 days ago

989 posts - 1454 votes 

Message 130 of 439
29 November 2012 at 8:33pm | IP Logged 
Since it's time for our development posts, here is mine:

RUSSIAN:

Well well well, I'm a little disappointed with myself right now. Until like September my Russian level was increasing well, not at a very fast rate but still, it was evolving, even though I didn't have much time. Then, to be honest, I got lazy. I still kept practicing it chatting on Livemocha every now and then, but most of the time I was away from the language and I saw last week that it costed me a lot. That's why I came back with the essays exercise, I read a Russian text from my book yesterday and I intend to give it a boost in this final part of the year. Anyway, it was a good year but definitely worse than I expected, and that's all on me.

ITALIAN:

This year has been great for Italian actually. I managed to keep it alive A LOT, by watching movies, chatting with friends and random people on Livemocha, I read books in Italian. I didn't really study it much, but I learned better about the subjunctive, practiced the language a lot and I consider that, all in all, it was a very positive year.

DUTCH:

A good year. I got a lot of practice from Assimil, chatting on Livemocha, Facebook, with @tarvos on Skype, etc etc etc. Just like Russian, since September I haven't been giving it enough attention, but I'm still pretty much at the same level I was back then, just forgot some words, but I'm sure I'll remember them as soon as I re-read the Assimil lessons. Also, my listening and speaking skills continue shitty as always, since I never engaged a conversation in Dutch. But again, a positive year.

ENGLISH:

Not much to say. 238927398273 movies and TV series episodes watched, 8749380434 texts read, a lot of chats, some Skype audio conversations. English will always be a part of my life. I hope that I'll be able to improve my accent next year, if I go back to São Paulo, so I'll be able to attend the Couchsurfing meetings and others.

FRENCH:

Awesome! I started learning French just a few months ago, taking a "Quick French Class" at my university, and since November I started with Assimil as well for the Assimil Experiment and I'm already VERY happy with my developments! I can already chat about simple subjects on Livemocha without problems, just looking at Google Translate sometimes, and I can probably tell things about myself and have a *simple* real life conversation, not sure though, never tried =P Portuguese and Italian both help me A LOT with French vocabulary and grammar, so much that I think I can reach B1+/B2- very quickly if I keep pushing myself forward in the next months. Very positive year!

So, in short:

Russian: B1 > B2-
Italian: B2+/C1- > C1
Dutch: A1+/A2- > A2+/B1-
English: C1- > C1 (I'm not even close to you guys, like Cristina or Tarvos =P)
French: 0 > A2

I won't count the other languages as Greek and Swedish, because I didn't realy stuuudy them, it was just a fling.

Edited by fabriciocarraro on 02 January 2013 at 6:46pm

Solfrid Cristin
Heptaglot
Winner TAC 2011 & 2012
Norway
Joined 5125 days ago

4143 posts - 8864 votes 
Speaks: Norwegian*, Spanish, Swedish, French, English, German, Italian
Studies: Russian

Message 131 of 439
30 November 2012 at 10:36am | IP Logged 
Wow, that is actually an amazing progress! Keep up the good work! I would sell my own grandmother to be at a B2 in Russian. .-)

Edited by Solfrid Cristin on 30 November 2012 at 10:37am

tarvos
Super Polyglot
Winner TAC 2012
China
likeapolyglot.wordpr
Joined 4498 days ago

5310 posts - 9399 votes 
Speaks: Dutch*, English, Swedish, French, Russian, German, Italian, Norwegian, Mandarin, Romanian, Afrikaans
Studies: Greek, Modern Hebrew, Spanish, Portuguese, Czech, Korean, Esperanto, Finnish

Message 132 of 439
30 November 2012 at 12:05pm | IP Logged 
He speaks better Russian than I do.

Keep up the good work!

fabriciocarraro
Hexaglot
Winner TAC 2012
Brazil
Joined 4506 days ago

989 posts - 1454 votes 

Message 133 of 439
12 December 2012 at 1:38pm | IP Logged 
FRANÇAIS:

My "Quick French Course" at university finished last week, so from now on it's gonna be just Assimil.
I'm also getting some real practice on Livemocha and with some friends like @tarvos on Skype, so all I can say is I'm really proud of my French It's been about 2 months, even less if I count the Assimil Experiment, and I can already communicate without many problems =)

O Novo Francês Sem Esforço - Leçons 15-21:

I finally got to another revision lesson!
Just like last time, I'm still noticing that the first time I listen to the audio I usually get about 60-70% of what's being said, and after repeating it some times I can get easily to 80-90% (depending on the lesson).
Lesson 20 is called "Encore en peu de révision", and it's like a mix between all the previous lessons, so I understood 95% already on the first time I listened to it.
Revision lesson 21 was quite useless, nothing new.

I've found some false cognates as well, such as "fermer" (to close), when in Italian the verb "fermare" means "to stop". Also "stylo" for "pen".

All in all, the lessons are good, fun, obviously I still don't remember every word, but I can feel the progress.

À bientôt!

fabriciocarraro
Hexaglot
Winner TAC 2012
Brazil
Joined 4506 days ago

989 posts - 1454 votes 

Message 134 of 439
24 December 2012 at 3:01pm | IP Logged 
Привет всем!

Sorry for being away for so long guys! Work got crazy! The week before last week I worked from Thursday to Sunday evey day until 1 AM, then on Monday I had to travel to Florianópolis to present our software at a government bidding and stayed there until Wednesday, so I took the last few days to rest a little bit and get my strenght back.
The good thing was that Florianópolis is probably one of the best and most beautiful places in Brazil, with the most beautiful girls. We got to go to the beach once and it was just like....WOW! My wife would have been jealus =P

Anyway, the (VERY) good news is that I got to practice my spoken Russian! I skyped with a Russian friend that I met on Livemocha for about 30 minutes straight in Russian and understood pretty much all of it, above 85%! And she understood me very well too, thus we had an actual conversation in Russian! \o/ She also said my accent is great and that I should practice spoken Russian more often, in order to make less grammar mistakes (which are normal for a foreigner in Russian I guess). My wife doesn't like to talk to me in Russian, so I'll probably do it with friends like Anton (that attended our last Skype meeting) and her. Anyway, that was a huge confidence booster! I can't wait to go and talk again =)

Later, we tried some French (which she's fluent in) and we went on for another 15/20 minutes without much problems, even if my French still sucks ahahaha it was my 1st real life conversation and it was also great! We changed then to English and went on the rest of the conversation. Overall, it was awesome and I definitely intend to do it more often! She's also learning Dutch, so in the future we'll be able to practice it as well.

Марк
Russian Federation
Joined 4847 days ago

2096 posts - 2972 votes 
Speaks: Russian*

Message 135 of 439
24 December 2012 at 7:15pm | IP Logged 
fabriciocarraro wrote:
Привет всем!

(which are normal for a foreigner in Russian I guess)

As in any other language.

fabriciocarraro
Hexaglot
Winner TAC 2012
Brazil
Joined 4506 days ago

989 posts - 1454 votes 

Message 136 of 439
24 December 2012 at 8:08pm | IP Logged 
Indeed, I just pointed that out because IMHO Russian has a grammar structure harder to produce in real life speech than the other languages I learned so far, of course, taking Portuguese (and English) as reference. That means that I write Russian much better than I speak it, because when writing or chatting I have time to think, but when speaking I still can't decline all the nouns and adjectives that quickly in my head, and I sometimes just use the nominative form, even though it's wrong.

This discussion contains 439 messages over 55 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version