103 posts - 157 votes 
Speaks: Italian*, EnglishC2, French, SpanishB2, Portuguese

Message 57 of 61
29 December 2011 at 8:24am | IP Logged 
vilas wrote:
Carisma wrote:
Ganas in Spanish. No, it's not a conjuction to the verb
ganar (although it could be).
It's part of the somewhat fixed expression "No tengo ganas", which roughly translates
as
"I don't feel like it". I don't know how English speakers live without an equivalent to
it! You can also use it as "Tengo ganas de..." (I feel like...), "Me gustaría ser
médico
pero no tengo las ganas para estudiar tanto" (I'd like to be a doctor but I don't feel
like studying so much), and Ricardo Arjona used it in a song he wrote for Ricky Martin
"Tengo ganas de no tener ganas".

"Gana" in sicilian means "desire" It is used a lot in the books of the famous writer
Andrea Camilleri that writes in a mixed italia-sicilian language .
"Avere gana di qualcosa " means "To feel like something"

We have the same kind of "gana(s)" in Sardinian as well, which is actually nothing
really surprising as the language is strongly influenced by Spanish: "no tengu gana
de/e..."

:)
1 person has voted this message useful

anjathilina
Diglot
United States
Joined 6416 days ago

33 posts - 106 votes 
Speaks: English*, Japanese
Studies: Spanish, Mandarin
Studies: Hindi

Message 58 of 61
29 December 2011 at 9:40pm | IP Logged 
Kevin Hsu wrote:
Leurre wrote:
Kartof wrote:
A word in Bulgarian that I find is
untranslatable is
няма
which means "he/she/it doesn't have" or "there isn't".
Certainly in English or Spanish there isn't one word to express a state of
dispossession
but there're probably
other languages that do. Does anyone know of any?

Korean has 없다, which means pretty much what you described.

Chinese has 沒有 which is the negative form of 有 which means to have/exist.

Japanese has ありません (arimasen) and the more informal ない (nai).

ReneeMona
Diglot
Netherlands
Joined 5147 days ago

864 posts - 1274 votes 
Speaks: Dutch*, EnglishC2
Studies: French

Message 59 of 61
30 December 2011 at 3:32pm | IP Logged 
Carisma wrote:
Ganas in Spanish. No, it's not a conjuction to the verb ganar (although it could be).
It's part of the somewhat fixed expression "No tengo ganas", which roughly translates as
"I don't feel like it". I don't know how English speakers live without an equivalent to
it! You can also use it as "Tengo ganas de..." (I feel like...), "Me gustaría ser médico
pero no tengo las ganas para estudiar tanto" (I'd like to be a doctor but I don't feel
like studying so much), and Ricardo Arjona used it in a song he wrote for Ricky Martin
"Tengo ganas de no tener ganas".

The same expression exists in Dutch (zin hebben om) and French (avoir envie de), though the French one has a broader meaning than the Dutch one. English "to feel like" usually translates it just fine.

vikramkr
Diglot
United StatesRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 5881 days ago

248 posts - 326 votes 
Speaks: English*, Portuguese

Message 60 of 61
05 January 2012 at 1:25am | IP Logged 
Saudade in Portuguese and kolay gelsin in Turkish.

kyssäkaali
Diglot
United States
Joined 5365 days ago

203 posts - 376 votes 
Speaks: English*, Finnish

Message 61 of 61
05 January 2012 at 4:18am | IP Logged 
Finnish "jaa" comes to mind. Kind of a way of answering a question or commenting something without actually answering/commenting. Although you can also say "jaa" and then afterwards answer the question / comment on the situation. :D A variant of this is "jaa-a":

A: Tuuks se meille?
B: Jaa-a, sen ku tietäis.

(A: Is he coming over?
B: Jaa-a. If only I knew.)

The "aa-a" sound by the way is hard for foreigners. :D It's a long [a] followed by a short [a], the first of which kind of rises and dips into the second.

Also I'm sure this is mentioned here, but the verb "jaksaa". It can be translated a zillion different ways, but means roughly "to have the willpower / strength / determination to do something.

A: Mee töihin.
B: Emmä jaksa.

(A: Get a job.
B: I don't [jaksa]).

In that example you could translate it ex. "I don't feel like it" or "I can't be bothered". But also if you're really full and can't eat anymore food, you say that you don't "jaksa". Gotta do something but can't be damned to get off your ass = "en jaksa". Playing a game but can't be bothered to finish it because you've been playing for so many hours that it's gotten dry and choreish = "en jaksa". Etc etc etc! I really can't believe I went 16 years without this verb in my life, it's so useful!

Also, others will definitely disagree, but English is also missing an equivalent for the noun "ikävä", which is usually translated as "longing" or "yearning", but the word itself covers so much more ground. You can yearn for someone:

"Mul on ikävä sua" = I miss you (literally "I have ikävä for you")

But things can also be or look "ikävä". A bad or unfortunate situation can be "ikävä", at which point the word is being used as an adjective. Also if someone for example falls off their bike and breaks the hell out of their arm, then the paramedic that rushes to the scene can comment to this individual that his/her arm looks "ikävä". This "pitiful" or "unfortunate" connotation also shows up in expressions like "ikävä kyllä" (unfortunately), "sepä ikävä" (what a pity!)" etc.

In an addition to all that, a verb derived from this word, "ikävystyttää", means "to bore".

Mua ikävystyttää = I'm bored.

Quite a word, that "ikävä"!

There's also lots of Finnish words related to drunkenness, rowdiness, etc. that lack English equivalents :D Among others:
örveltää - general verb for doing things while drunk, negative connotation
äpöstää - to eat food while drunk enough that table manners and silverware are forgotten
rääppiäiset - a gathering where you call your friends over the day after a party or social event to eat leftover cake/chips/soda/etc. together
hiprakka - the phase before actual true intoxication where the drinker smiles more and is more talkative, after which begins the stage where you build up to an actual state of intoxication (nousuhumala) followed by intoxication (humala) (humala and nousuhumala can also be considered the same stage)
laskuhumala - the stage that comes after intoxication (humala) when drinks begin to run out, the drinker starts to get tired and may end up in a bad mood, may start crying and cursing his shitty life, may kill himself etc. :-D nousuhumala means literally more or less "rising state of intoxication" and laskuhumala "falling state of intoxication"

ALSO: The word "sisu" gets thrown around a lot as intranslateable, and I've seen Finns fighting about how that's not true and that the word can be translated simply as "guts", as in "you've got guts" (="you're brave"). The untranslateble part comes from the fact that "sisu" carries a connotation of aside from bravery, also stubbornness, hardheadedness, even stupidity, refusal to give up the fight NO MATTER WHAT regardless of what happens, and it is for this reason that "sisu" is so tied to the Finnish "talvisota" -Winter War and overall to the Finnish spirit itself and truly is quite untranslateable.

This discussion contains 61 messages over 8 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version