Gerund
United States
Joined 4616 days ago

12 posts - 17 votes
Speaks: English*
Studies: Spanish, Swedish

Message 1 of 61
31 October 2011 at 12:26am | IP Logged 
"Hygge." This is the word that pulled me back to learning languages. For those who do
not know, Wikipedia describes "hygge" as "spending a calm, comfortable time with good
friends or loved ones, often while enjoying good food, snacks and something to drink.
Lighting candlelights is also often associated with "hygge". Christmas time, when loved
ones sit close together with candles lit on a cold rainy night, is a true moment of
'hygge.'" I'm sure native Danes might quibble with that, but it at least gives an idea.
While I remain an outsider to Danish culture, I am captivated by this concept,
especially as I view language-learning as a means to meet new friends.

I will save the details of my language journey for another post, but as I have returned
my focus to this noble pursuit, I have found my very favorite moments to be the
discovery of a word that defies translation into my native tongue. Not only is each
such instance intriguing, but they also leave me with the thrilling feeling that I am
one small step closer to understanding the human condition.

While I am studying Swedish for family reasons, words such as "hygge" (or another
favorite of mine, the Portuguese concept of "saudade") are why I find myself more
motivated than ever before to move beyond the beginner and intermediate levels in
multiple languages.

What are your favorite words that defy translation?

3 persons have voted this message useful

Mauritz
Octoglot
Sweden
Joined 4880 days ago

223 posts - 325 votes 
Speaks: Swedish*, EnglishC2, Italian, Spanish, Russian, Turkish, Esperanto, French
Studies: Old English, Yiddish, Arabic (Written), Mandarin, Korean, Portuguese, Welsh, Icelandic, Afrikaans

Message 2 of 61
31 October 2011 at 12:31am | IP Logged 
Lagom is an old Swedish classic, approximately meaning "just the right amount", but it
encompasses so much more.
1 person has voted this message useful

PaulLambeth
United Kingdom
Joined 5185 days ago

244 posts - 315 votes 
Studies: Icelandic, Hindi, Irish

Message 3 of 61
31 October 2011 at 12:36am | IP Logged 
Hygge! I have none that I can think of to add, but seeing the word hygge makes me happy. While trying to find out how to pronounce it (I'd have asked you for an IPA transcription if forvo.com didn't exist) I saw the translation into English as 'fun'. No way. Untranslatable indeed.

I'll keep an eye on this thread to see if there are any more nuggets of linguistic sweetness that I can memorise for the future. Great thread idea.
2 persons have voted this message useful

HMS
England
Joined 4919 days ago

143 posts - 256 votes 

Message 4 of 61
31 October 2011 at 12:47am | IP Logged 
Is hygge the same as the dutch 'gezellig'?

I think 'shadenfreude' is an awsome word.

Gerund
United States
Joined 4616 days ago

12 posts - 17 votes
Studies: Spanish, Swedish

Message 5 of 61
31 October 2011 at 12:53am | IP Logged 
Apparently, hygge is similar to "gezellig" and also to the German word, "gemütlichkeit."
I don't know enough Dutch or German to say whether there is any nuance distinguishing the
three.

I had not yet come across "lagom" in my Swedish studies, but it sounds exactly like what
I'm talking about! I will have to go look for some context to improve my understanding
there.

This is already very interesting. Are there any non-native English speakers out there who
have favorite English words that are difficult to translate? I've always wondered about
that...

PaulLambeth
United Kingdom
Joined 5185 days ago

244 posts - 315 votes 
Studies: Icelandic, Hindi, Irish

Message 6 of 61
31 October 2011 at 12:57am | IP Logged 
HMS wrote:
Is hygge the same as the dutch 'gezellig'?

I think 'shadenfreude' is an awsome word.

Schadenfreude's a useful word, although significantly less smile-inducing a concept than hygge. I'm disappointed in myself - or maybe I should be pleased that they make an effort to spread useful words to a mainly teenage fanbase - that I first learned Schadenfreude from Bloc Party's 'The Once And Future King' (but if I remember correctly he pronounced it 'Schadenfreud').

ciaran
Triglot
Wales
Joined 4587 days ago

2 posts - 8 votes
Speaks: English, Welsh*, French
Studies: German, Breton

Message 7 of 61
31 October 2011 at 1:33am | IP Logged 
How about the Welsh word 'hiraeth'. From Wikipedia:
"Hiraeth /hɪəraɪ̯θ/ is a Welsh word that has no direct English translation. However, the University of Wales, Lampeter
attempts to define it as homesickness tinged with grief or sadness over the lost or departed. It is a mix of longing,
yearning, nostalgia, wistfulness, and the earnest desire for the Wales of the past."

Or perhaps 'cwtch'. From Urban Dictionary:
"Snuggling and cuddling and loving and protecting and safeguarding and claiming, all rolled into one. There is an
element of intimacy, earnestness and ownership in this Welsh word (recently adopted into the OED) that the closest
English equivalents, "cuddle", "snuggle" and "hug" lack."
4 persons have voted this message useful

strikingstar
Bilingual Tetraglot
United States
Joined 4985 days ago

292 posts - 444 votes 
Speaks: English*, Mandarin*, Cantonese, Swahili
Studies: Spanish, Arabic (Written)

Message 8 of 61
31 October 2011 at 1:45am | IP Logged 
One of the first words I ever learnt in Swahili was "Shikamoo" (pronounced Shikamoe).

Literally translated, it means "I hold your feet". It's a respectful way of greeting
your elders. (The importance of greetings in East African culture cannot be
overstated.) Some people frown on its use because they view it as a throwback to the
days of slavery.

The standard response to "Shikamoo" is "Marahaba", usually said in a singsong manner.
"Marahaba" is an incredibly fun word to say out loud.

I heard this phrase very often in Tibet:
tashi delek.

Wiki wrote:
Tashi means auspicious and Delek (or Deleg, Deleh) means fine or well. It
is difficult and perhaps impossible to translate properly into English. Different
authors render it as "Blessings and good luck" or "May all auspicious signs come to
this environment".

Edited by strikingstar on 31 October 2011 at 2:07am

This discussion contains 61 messages over 8 pages: 2 3 4 5 6 7 8  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version