Triglot
Bulgaria
Joined 5068 days ago

273 posts - 370 votes 
Speaks: Bulgarian*, English, Russian
Studies: Portuguese, German, Italian, Spanish, Norwegian, Finnish

Message 41 of 61
28 November 2011 at 1:03pm | IP Logged 
in Bulgarian А if pronounced with the right intonation means "Answer me the question I have just asked". Translated e.g.:
-What are you going to do about it?
-(no answer)
-Ah?
1 person has voted this message useful

Luai_lashire
Diglot
United States
luai-lashire.deviant
Joined 5640 days ago

384 posts - 560 votes 
Speaks: English*, Esperanto
Studies: Japanese, French

Message 42 of 61
28 November 2011 at 11:28pm | IP Logged 
Iversen wrote:
....originally even the proud French Frenchmen from France adopted the Danish term.

I love that you said this, Iversen, because it actually gives an example of yet another complication of this
situation. Earlier on, someone mentioned "beauf" as meaning a quintessentially French, conservative individual.
Well, in English, we would in fact call this person "A proud French Frenchman from France", and while it may not
convey exactly the same nuance, this phrasing (which is very popular when disparaging something) has its own
charm and emotion to it. What I like about learning languages is that it exposes me to so many subtleties and
nuances like these. Though the meaning may be very close, if you know both then you can finally find a way to
express that miniscule difference. But when a phrasing like this is already widely in use, then most of the time
we won't import new words just to cover that tiny gap. So that's why you can find something close, but not
exactly the same, in most languages. That difference just isn't important enough most of the time.
One of the fun things about studying other cultures is that often, there will be tiny differences that were
important enough to them to make many words about, that you have only one word for. The classic example of
the many Inuit words for snow comes to mind.

Ari
Heptaglot
Norway
Joined 6394 days ago

2314 posts - 5695 votes 
Speaks: Swedish*, English, French, Spanish, Portuguese, Mandarin, Cantonese
Studies: Czech, Latin, German

Message 43 of 61
29 November 2011 at 7:02am | IP Logged 
a3 wrote:
in Bulgarian А if pronounced with the right intonation means "Answer me the question I have just asked". Translated e.g.:
-(no answer)
-Ah?

The same is true in English, Swedish, Mandarin, French and Cantonese, though you might have to replace the vowel by "E" in some of the languages.

Ari
Heptaglot
Norway
Joined 6394 days ago

2314 posts - 5695 votes 
Speaks: Swedish*, English, French, Spanish, Portuguese, Mandarin, Cantonese
Studies: Czech, Latin, German

Message 44 of 61
29 November 2011 at 7:16am | IP Logged 
Luai_lashire wrote:
One of the fun things about studying other cultures is that often, there will be tiny differences that were important enough to them to make many words about, that you have only one word for. The classic example of the many Inuit words for snow comes to mind.

As classic as it is wrong, I'm afraid. Obligatory LanguageLog link. They (or at least some of them) do have thirty-two demonstrative pronouns, however, which is a lot more exciting, if you ask me.
2 persons have voted this message useful

a3
Triglot
Bulgaria
Joined 5068 days ago

273 posts - 370 votes 
Speaks: Bulgarian*, English, Russian
Studies: Portuguese, German, Italian, Spanish, Norwegian, Finnish

Message 45 of 61
29 November 2011 at 4:00pm | IP Logged 
Ari wrote:
a3 wrote:
-(no answer)
-Ah?

The same is true in English, Swedish, Mandarin, French and Cantonese, though you might have to replace the vowel by "E" in some of the languages.
Didnt know that, it turns out that this word is very spread. :D
Is it safe to assume that 9 out of 10 English speakers know that word?

WentworthsGal
United KingdomRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 4700 days ago

191 posts - 246 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Swedish, Spanish

Message 46 of 61
29 November 2011 at 4:48pm | IP Logged 
For me at least, in this country (England) I've found that it's just a lazy way of saying "what?" "pardon?". Pronounced like the English letter "A" as in a-b-c. I've found that it could often be written as "eh?" in fictional books etc, altho I can't guarantee that was the pronounciation the author had in mind. I guess another variation of the "a" sound is "huh?". I would say that "a" is more of a sound rather than an actual word itself, altho I'm sure others might say otherwise...

Dr. Daneeka
Triglot
United States
Joined 4919 days ago

6 posts - 9 votes
Speaks: English*, Spanish, French
Studies: Mandarin

Message 47 of 61
27 December 2011 at 9:32pm | IP Logged 
I'm surprised that no one's brought up the often used Persian word تعارف (taarof), a term which has no English equivalent. It's kind of hard to explain; it refers to that polite self-sacrifice that one does so that someone else can enjoy something. It also, in a broader sense, refers to the unspoken code of manners and politeness that is associated with Iranian culture.

Humdereel
Octoglot
Groupie
United States
Joined 4790 days ago

90 posts - 349 votes 
Speaks: English, Spanish*, Arabic (Levantine), Arabic (Egyptian), Arabic (Written), Turkish, Persian, Urdu
Studies: Russian

Message 48 of 61
27 December 2011 at 11:44pm | IP Logged 
Dr. Daneeka wrote:
I'm surprised that no one's brought up the often used Persian word تعارف (taarof), a term which has no English equivalent. It's kind of hard to explain; it refers to that polite self-sacrifice that one does so that someone else can enjoy something. It also, in a broader sense, refers to the unspoken code of manners and politeness that is associated with Iranian culture.

I've been reading this thread but for some reason "taarof" never came to me. It's been used by some of my Persian-speaking friends quite often, and I remember using it once.

Cool to see it brought up.

This discussion contains 61 messages over 8 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 57 8  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version