Joined 5654 days ago

979 posts - 1688 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Dutch, French, Esperanto, German, Spanish

Message 289 of 355
22 August 2012 at 3:48pm | IP Logged 
lwtproject wrote:
tommus wrote:
MAKE IT (FLTR) WORK DIRECTLY IN A BROWSER!!!!!

It's not possible due to certain restrictions in browsers (e.g. no read/write access to local files). I would have programmed LWT that way if it were feasible....

As an add-on you were bound to Firefox or Chrome, or one has to program different add-ons for different browsers. Too much work!

My suggestion focuses on making LWT more likely to be used, and more enjoyable to use for regular browsing. I understand the difficulties to operate within a browser. But "browsing" or reading your favourite L2 web sites in plain text, after stripping out the plain text) just doesn't contribute to constant use of LWT.

Further suggestion: It is very easy to "Save Page" in a browser. Could there be a bare bones "LWT browser" that could read the saved HTML pages with the current LWT functionality?

In other words, instead of directly reading your favourite L2 pages (such as daily news), you save a number of the pages you want to read. Then by right clicking on these saved HTML pages, you could directly open each of them in an LWT basic browser.

That would greatly improve my LWT usage. Do others think that would work well for them?

1 person has voted this message useful

Michel1020
Tetraglot
Belgium
Joined 4805 days ago

365 posts - 559 votes 
Speaks: French*, English, Spanish, Dutch

Message 290 of 355
22 August 2012 at 6:23pm | IP Logged 
You could open a webpage - disable the style - save the page as a text - cut the parts that are not the text you want to read and open the result in lwt. Too long ? Do you know learning languages is a long process ?

Maybe it is possible to add an option in lwt - to open a webpage in the reading box of lwt. However if lwt does that - you are not ready yet because where you read a text from a webpage - lwt will read a text full of tags - a webpage could have colors that inerfer with lwt coloring and there will be parts of the texts that have no interest for your learning.

Edited by Michel1020 on 22 August 2012 at 6:26pm

Jinx
Triglot
Germany
reverbnation.co
Joined 5481 days ago

1085 posts - 1879 votes 
Speaks: English*, German, French
Studies: Catalan, Dutch, Esperanto, Croatian, Serbian, Norwegian, Mandarin, Italian, Spanish, Yiddish

Message 291 of 355
22 August 2012 at 8:44pm | IP Logged 
lwtproject wrote:
Jinx wrote:
I just started using LWT and really like it, but for some reason my preferred German dictionary (dict.cc) always comes up as a pop-up, rather than opening in the bottom right frame (which I would prefer). Is there a way to fix this, or is it just a quirk of the dict.cc website? There doesn't seem to be anything about pop-ups vs. frames in the "settings" section.

Some web dictionaries (like dict.cc) do not allow to be opened within a frame set. They "break out" of the frame set and use the whole browser window. To overcome this, an asterisk can be put in front of the dictionary URL in the language settings: *http://de-en.dict.cc/?s=### (look into the language settings!). With an asterisk in front, the web dictionary opens in a separate window, and you are able to study the text without problems. If you don't like this, you have to find a different web dictionary that does not have this frame set breakout behavior...

I see, thanks for the information. So I'm guessing there's no way to tell which dictionaries will accept frames and which won't until you've tried them? It's not a big deal, I just wanted to make sure I wasn't doing something wrong. :)

ETA: One more question – sorry for treating this thread like a tech-help area, but it's the quickest way to get information, it seems. I added Croatian as a new language on LWT, but for some reason every time a special Croatian character comes up in a word (ć, č, š, ž, đ, and their capital equivalents), that word gets split directly after the special character. So common words such as "će" become two words: "ć" and "e". I tried adding all the special characters to the "RegExp Word Characters" line in the language settings – maybe I did it wrong? I just added them onto the end of the list of characters already listed there, so the total information entered in that line looked like this: "a-zA-ZÀ-ÖØ-öø-ȳćčšžđĆČŠŽĐ". Is that correct, or should I do it differently? Thanks in advance for any assistance.

Edited by Jinx on 23 August 2012 at 6:06am

tommus
CanadaRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 5654 days ago

979 posts - 1688 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Dutch, French, Esperanto, German, Spanish

Message 292 of 355
23 August 2012 at 12:11am | IP Logged 
Michel1020 wrote:
You could open a webpage - disable the style - save the page as a text - cut the parts that are not the text you want to read and open the result in lwt. Too long ?

Yes. All those extra steps cost time and effort that could much better be used in reading and understanding. And more importantly, if you have to do all those steps for every article and web page you read, well, you simply will not do nearly as many, if any at all.

Michel1020 wrote:
Do you know learning languages is a long process ?

Yes. That is why I am looking for ways to make it a shorter process, mostly devoid of laborious, mind-numbing manual manipulation that saps your energy and wears you down. Look at where we have come with the pop-up instant translations. Surely nobody would advocate exchanging that for look-up with a paper bilingual dictionary.

LWT is such a wonderful tool, it would be terrific to use it much more extensively, like for all your L2 browsing, not just for selected copy-and-paste articles.

lwtproject
Pentaglot
Netherlands
https://learning-wit
Joined 4680 days ago

149 posts - 264 votes 
Speaks: French, Dutch*, German, English, Mandarin
Studies: Italian

Message 293 of 355
23 August 2012 at 8:09am | IP Logged 
Jinx wrote:
I just added them onto the end of the list of characters already listed there, so the total information entered in that line looked like this: "a-zA-ZÀ-ÖØ-öø-ȳćčšžđĆČŠŽĐ". Is that correct, or should I do it differently?

That is absolutely correct. You can either enter a list of characters or character ranges x-y, but in the case of a range you must look up in a unicode table what characters are in that range. You can mix individual characters and ranges, too, like in your case.

Edited by lwtproject on 23 August 2012 at 8:10am

Jinx
Triglot
Germany
reverbnation.co
Joined 5481 days ago

1085 posts - 1879 votes 
Speaks: English*, German, French
Studies: Catalan, Dutch, Esperanto, Croatian, Serbian, Norwegian, Mandarin, Italian, Spanish, Yiddish

Message 294 of 355
27 August 2012 at 2:17am | IP Logged 
lwtproject wrote:
Jinx wrote:
I just added them onto the end of the list of characters already listed there, so the total information entered in that line looked like this: "a-zA-ZÀ-ÖØ-öø-ȳćčšžđĆČŠŽĐ". Is that correct, or should I do it differently?

That is absolutely correct. You can either enter a list of characters or character ranges x-y, but in the case of a range you must look up in a unicode table what characters are in that range. You can mix individual characters and ranges, too, like in your case.

Thanks again for your quick response, lwtproject. So if I entered the characters correctly, and the program is theoretically able to recognize the Croatian language, I guess the problem must lie in the FluentIn3Months interface I'm using. That's too bad. I'll head over to the forum there and see if anyone else has figured out a way around this.

ZombieKing
Bilingual Diglot
Canada
Joined 4315 days ago

247 posts - 324 votes 
Speaks: English*, Mandarin*

Message 295 of 355
27 August 2012 at 9:48am | IP Logged 
I for the life of me could not get learning with texts to work...

For those who suck with computers, but like Lingq and like the idea of LWT, there is a website called lingro.com which is kind of like those programs. If you study Chinese or Japanese, then you probably know Perapera, which gives you the pronunciation and meaning of any Chinese/Japanese you scroll over. This is basically the same thing, except it just works with the big European languages.

It makes any word clickable, and when you click it the translation comes up. You can also import files into lingro. I'd still prefer to use LWT though cause I like the idea of being able to keep track of the number of words I know :P

ZombieKing
Bilingual Diglot
Canada
Joined 4315 days ago

247 posts - 324 votes 
Speaks: English*, Mandarin*

Message 296 of 355
27 August 2012 at 9:50am | IP Logged 
tommus wrote:
Michel1020 wrote:
You could open a webpage - disable the style - save the page as a text - cut the parts that are not the text you want to read and open the result in lwt. Too long ?

Yes. All those extra steps cost time and effort that could much better be used in reading and understanding. And more importantly, if you have to do all those steps for every article and web page you read, well, you simply will not do nearly as many, if any at all.

Michel1020 wrote:
Do you know learning languages is a long process ?

Yes. That is why I am looking for ways to make it a shorter process, mostly devoid of laborious, mind-numbing manual manipulation that saps your energy and wears you down. Look at where we have come with the pop-up instant translations. Surely nobody would advocate exchanging that for look-up with a paper bilingual dictionary.

LWT is such a wonderful tool, it would be terrific to use it much more extensively, like for all your L2 browsing, not just for selected copy-and-paste articles.

I think this is what you're looking for. If you scroll down to the Bookmarklets section of this webpage, you can add a link to your bookmarks, and when you press that link, it makes the webpage you're on clickable. As in, the translation of the word you pressed will pop up.

:)

http://lingro.com/docs/browser-tools.html

2 persons have voted this message useful

This discussion contains 355 messages over 45 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version