Joined 3750 days ago

86 posts - 159 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Norwegian, Latin, Ancient Greek

Message 345 of 355
27 January 2016 at 7:56pm | IP Logged 
Stefan wrote:
How do you rate words?

At the moment, I mark words I know passively as 'well known' because it makes it easier
to read when just the trickier ones are coloured. Then my idea was to sort all the words I
don't know (marked as 1) after frequency and then learn them one by one.

However, there are words I understand passively but probably wouldn't be able to come
up with when writing so I guess using the 1-5 rating makes sense. The question is how
you use it. The same goes for moving them from 2 to 3, etc. Any rules?

To each his or her own. So many colors distract me, and I figure I either know a word or I don't, that a word is either passive or active for me. So, after I import a new text, I immediately convert all 1's in that text to 3's (and only that text should have 1's anyway). The color for Number 3 distracts me less than the other available colors. When I am sure I know a word, I convert it from 3 to 5. I no longer mark words as "Well Known." Instead I mark them as 5, so the definition will still be there, just in case. When I come across a 5 whose definition I have forgotten, I move it back to 3.
1 person has voted this message useful

Mork the Fiddle
United States
Joined 3750 days ago

86 posts - 159 votes 

Message 346 of 355
27 January 2016 at 8:10pm | IP Logged 
This concerns the matter of backups. A month or two ago, tiring of the constant need to stop and enter a definition for a new word, I decided to try something different. I am studying Ancient Greek, which has a lot more word forms than most modern Western languages, let alone more than English, so there are a lot more definitions to enter. I found a somewhat modified source of the Ancient Greek words and definitions that Perseus uses, and uploaded them into the LWT database. The scheme worked, more or less, but there were over 900,000 words from the source. When LWT attempts to back up that many records, it hits a time-out at the 5-minute mark and cannot produce a backup file. Without going into the messy technical details*, I go to the database itself and use a MySQL tool to backup (aka download) the data.
Consequently, this is not a problem for me, and since I doubt anyone else intends to upload data stemming from the Perseus source file, this will probably not be a problem for anyone else.
Unless some aspiring polyglots use LWT to study 10 or 12 languages. Under those circumstances, taking all their vocabulary combined, they might hit the 900,000+ word/phrase mark.

* Except to say the problem does not lie with MySql, which can handle a lot more than 900,000 records.

lwtproject
Pentaglot
Netherlands
https://learning-wit
Joined 4673 days ago

149 posts - 264 votes 
Speaks: French, Dutch*, German, English, Mandarin
Studies: Italian

Message 347 of 355
08 February 2016 at 3:10pm | IP Logged 
Mork the Fiddle wrote:
Unless some aspiring polyglots use LWT to study 10 or 12 languages. Under those circumstances, taking all their vocabulary combined, they might hit the 900,000+ word/phrase mark.

In such a case, I would recommend that you create a database for each language and duplicate the LWT directory with a new version of connect.inc.php accordingly. Then you should also not have any problems with database backup, etc. If you have still problems, increase in "php.ini" the server parameters "post_max_size" and "upload_max_filesize" to 999M, and restart the web server.

4 persons have voted this message useful

Zireael
Triglot
Poland
Joined 4432 days ago

518 posts - 636 votes 
Speaks: Polish*, EnglishB2, Spanish
Studies: German, Sign Language, Tok Pisin, Arabic (Yemeni), Old English

Message 348 of 355
04 April 2016 at 12:55pm | IP Logged 
Aww, where was it my entire life?

Serpent wrote:
There's now a new version on github, since the original hasn't been updated for some time.

Should I install this or the official version? Also, how do I install it to D: drive?

Serpent
Octoglot
Russian Federation
serpent-849.livejour
Joined 6378 days ago

9753 posts - 15779 votes 
4 sounds
Speaks: Russian*, English, FinnishC1, Latin, German, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese
Studies: Danish, Romanian, Polish, Belarusian, Ukrainian, Croatian, Slovenian, Catalan, Czech, Galician, Dutch, Swedish

Message 349 of 355
05 April 2016 at 11:52pm | IP Logged 
Your choice :) As you can see, the original author has posted here since.
I don't actually use lwt myself so I can't help you. Feel free to ask on the new forum.

lwtproject
Pentaglot
Netherlands
https://learning-wit
Joined 4673 days ago

149 posts - 264 votes 
Speaks: French, Dutch*, German, English, Mandarin
Studies: Italian

Message 350 of 355
07 April 2016 at 5:58pm | IP Logged 
Zireael wrote:
Should I install this or the official version? Also, how do I install it to D: drive?

I recommend the official version - it is IMHO bug-free.
I have tried also the "improved" version on Github, but it seems quite buggy.

You must install LWT into the web directory that is specified in the server software documentation.
3 persons have voted this message useful

Mork the Fiddle
United States
Joined 3750 days ago

86 posts - 159 votes 

Message 351 of 355
07 April 2016 at 7:56pm | IP Logged 
lwtproject wrote:
Zireael wrote:

I have used the official version for three years or more, and I have never, repeat never, encountered a bug. In programmer's parlance, this is an extremely robust app.
2 persons have voted this message useful

Zireael
Triglot
Poland
Joined 4432 days ago

518 posts - 636 votes 
Speaks: Polish*, EnglishB2, Spanish
Studies: German, Sign Language, Tok Pisin, Arabic (Yemeni), Old English

Message 352 of 355
26 March 2017 at 9:09pm | IP Logged 
Mork the Fiddle wrote:
lwtproject wrote:
Zireael wrote:

I have used the official version for three years or more, and I have never, repeat never, encountered a bug. In programmer's parlance, this is an extremely robust app.

I've begun using it for Japanese and I'm seeing doubled characters. If I have メトル as a multi word term (because it treats every character as a word) I will often see the last character doubled (and marked as not known). It's really annoying. I had to stick to inserting spaces via MeCab to avoid this, but I would like to learn reading original texts...

This discussion contains 355 messages over 45 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version