https://learning-wit
Joined 4673 days ago

149 posts - 264 votes 
Speaks: French, Dutch*, German, English, Mandarin
Studies: Italian

Message 265 of 355
13 March 2012 at 10:55am | IP Logged 
nutem wrote:
However, one feature that it lacks for me at the moment (or I just haven't discovered how to cope
with this yet) is linking several words together - that is, different verb, noun, etc. forms to their origin. For example:
different forms of German adjective with endings: -e -er -er -en could be linked to their base form and they all
would be updated simultaneously, rather than each one as another word.

You can link similar words manually, e.g. via tags.
1 person has voted this message useful

dleewo
Groupie
United States
Joined 5599 days ago

95 posts - 131 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: German, Mandarin

Message 266 of 355
14 March 2012 at 8:22pm | IP Logged 
I know this doesn't work too well with the iPad (it works, but the experience isn't the
same as on the desktop) because of the html frames

Has anyone tried this with other tablets (Android, Kindle Fire, etc) and if so, does it
work like it does on the desktop?

Derek

2 persons have voted this message useful

Ibryam000
Diglot
France
Joined 4446 days ago

37 posts - 50 votes
Speaks: French*, English
Studies: Bulgarian, Spanish

Message 267 of 355
28 March 2012 at 2:40am | IP Logged 
Is it possible to delete several words at once (or better: modify the language) ? I've add about 100 words in the wrong language and it is so boring to delete them one by one...
EDIT: I've figured it out, thank you.

Edited by Ibryam000 on 28 March 2012 at 9:24pm

hrhenry
Octoglot
United States
languagehopper.blogs
Joined 4911 days ago

1871 posts - 3642 votes 
Speaks: English*, SpanishC2, ItalianC2, Norwegian, Catalan, Galician, Turkish, Portuguese
Studies: Polish, Indonesian, Ojibwe

Message 268 of 355
28 March 2012 at 3:18am | IP Logged 
dleewo wrote:
I know this doesn't work too well with the iPad (it works, but the experience isn't the

Has anyone tried this with other tablets (Android, Kindle Fire, etc) and if so, does it
work like it does on the desktop?

Derek

I've tried it on a 7" Android tablet. It works, but it's not a pleasant experience. There's just not enough screen real estate. Also, I have problems with the dictionary frame showing up on first showing. I have to reload the page for it to show up. I used the standard browser that ships with Android. I haven't gotten around to trying Dolphin or another browser.

R.
==

Aquila
Triglot
Netherlands
Joined 5262 days ago

104 posts - 128 votes 
Speaks: Dutch*, English, German
Studies: French

Message 269 of 355
16 April 2012 at 4:02pm | IP Logged 
I just use LWT since a few weeks and I have to say i'm very happy to discover this program and i'm surpised
and impressed by it's effectiveness. I used to read texts with the iBooks app (on the iPad), to look up the
words I don't know in different dictionary's. When I found the correct translation, I marked the word(s) in the
text to make a note with the translation. This was not a bad way to learn vocabulary for me, but it was very
slow and it was much work to make flashcards for every word in Anki.

Now that I use LWT, it's so much more easier to look up the translations and to put everything in Anki. It was
not easy to install the program, altough not impossible for someone who doesn't know very much of
computers (like me) if you follow the instructions step by step. Any any case, it is definitely worth the effort to
try it.

The program could be improved on several aspects, like a solution for all the scrolling for example, an easier
way to install the program or a possibility to add a fourth dictionary, but i'm very satisfied with LWT and I
would recommend this program to everyone who learns a foreign language.

dleewo wrote:

I read the texts mostly on my iPad and it works well, but only with short texts. I usually copy a news article or
a Wikipedia article. The scrolling gets very annoying in the case with longer texts.

lwtproject
Pentaglot
Netherlands
https://learning-wit
Joined 4673 days ago

149 posts - 264 votes 
Speaks: French, Dutch*, German, English, Mandarin
Studies: Italian

Message 270 of 355
16 April 2012 at 4:57pm | IP Logged 
Aquila wrote:
I just use LWT since a few weeks and I have to say i'm very happy to discover this program and i'm
surprised and impressed by it's effectiveness. .... Now that I use LWT, it's so much more easier to look up the
translations and to put everything in Anki ....

Thank you for your kind words and suggestions!

Aquila
Triglot
Netherlands
Joined 5262 days ago

104 posts - 128 votes 
Speaks: Dutch*, English, German
Studies: French

Message 271 of 355
16 April 2012 at 5:26pm | IP Logged 
lwtproject wrote:

Thank you for your kind words and suggestions!

Thank you for all your effort to develop this program.
Keep up the good work!

erikspen
United States
erikspen.wordpress.c
Joined 4346 days ago

16 posts - 27 votes

Message 272 of 355
28 May 2012 at 4:16am | IP Logged 
Importing text frequently? Still manually highlighting and copy & paste into LWT?

Well, I've found that Clearly (plugin made by Evernote) helps. It's strips away the crud on a page to view only the article. So, you can just Ctrl-A to copy the article.

Helps just a little. A LWT-specific plugin would be better, obviously. Anyone made one?

4 persons have voted this message useful

This discussion contains 355 messages over 45 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version