Michel1020
Tetraglot
Belgium
Joined 4797 days ago

365 posts - 559 votes 
Speaks: French*, English, Spanish, Dutch

Message 57 of 355
20 July 2011 at 11:13am | IP Logged 
If I install the last version in a new directory - will I be able to use it on my existing database ? I would like to participate in testing but keeping my existing version for now.

It would be interesting to know how people use the LWT.

I did delete all languages but two - I keep the french for testing and create a Spanish for learning. I use it offline with local dictionaries (I have to copy and paste). When listening I prefer to use audacity or vlc. So far I did not use the "optionns for learning vocabulary". When hinting I put the words in category 1 or 2 - one is if the entry need to be edited and the other if the entry is ready. When I finished the hinting I sort my words on category and edit then move everything to the "ready" category. My texts are 150 to 400 words long.
1 person has voted this message useful

Arthaey
Groupie
United States
arthaey.com
Joined 4826 days ago

97 posts - 155 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Spanish

Message 58 of 355
21 July 2011 at 7:06am | IP Logged 
Michel1020 wrote:
It would be interesting to know how people use the LWT.

I set it up, but I don't have any interesting texts to input into it. I have some books that I'm learning with, but LWT doesn't support OCR yet. ;)

Any suggestions on where to get texts that are more interesting than all the "old stuff" on Project Gutenberg?

Splog
Diglot
Czech Republic
anthonylauder.c
Joined 5449 days ago

1062 posts - 3263 votes 
Speaks: English*, Czech
Studies: Mandarin

Message 59 of 355
21 July 2011 at 7:42am | IP Logged 
Arthaey wrote:
Michel1020 wrote:
It would be interesting to know how people use the
LWT.

I set it up, but I don't have any interesting texts to input into it. I have some books
that I'm learning with, but LWT doesn't support OCR yet. ;)

Any suggestions on where to get texts that are more interesting than all the "old stuff"
on Project Gutenberg?

For LWT I have taken texts and accompanying audio from scola.org - these are weekly news
summaries in dozens of languages. You do need a password and login, but previous threads
(do a search) have mentioned where to get them.

Michel1020
Tetraglot
Belgium
Joined 4797 days ago

365 posts - 559 votes 
Speaks: French*, English, Spanish, Dutch

Message 60 of 355
21 July 2011 at 10:21am | IP Logged 
Some Testings

Well I install the 9.2 in another directory and have access at my database - I am able to skip from one version to the other.

There are some big problem with version 9.2

First I got a warning that a file was missing - I had to modify the name of file connect_easyphp.inc.php to connect.inc.php. This change get me in.

So I tested the export. I went to my words Filter on French - the colomn language is on French but many Term/Romaniz are in Spanish.

I marked all terms and exported to anki and I got some French (not all my french terms) but there is a big problem with the first one. I got the word une that I hinted in Spanish as a form ot the Spanish verb unir. I got une for the word - the translation is the one I included in my Spanish hint and the example sentence is a french sentence where the french word une (one) is used.

I also noticed that the translations of my Spanish terms are shorted to the first line when I saw them with the French filter - they are completed when using the Spanish filter.

My french texts look ok - I do not have any Spanish there - only the Mon premier don du sang - and 2 short texts I included myself for testing the "à" case.

When exporting TSV it looks like I got all the displaied words Spanish and french including the une problem again.

I have the same problem with the version 0.7 the only export there worked as the anki export in version 0.92.

When watching the back-up file I saw it terminates with an insert.
I am not sure but is there no instruction to close a created table when all insert are in ?
I did not restore.

I am sorry - I hope this will help.

Editing :

I did not import any dbinstall, dbupgrade.0.4 or .0.5 when I did import the database the first time in version 0.6 I only imported dbinstall.

Editing 2 :

Back to Spanish filter

I got a list that look completed when exporting terms anki

When exporting terms tsv I get the following message at the first line -

<b>Notice</b>: Undefined variable: cnt in <b>C:\.....\utilities.inc.php</b> on line <b>788</b><br />

then after I get a list of 7 colomns where the fouth one is empty but I am not sure this empty colomn to be a problem..

Edited by Michel1020 on 21 July 2011 at 12:02pm

lwtproject
Pentaglot
Netherlands
https://learning-wit
Joined 4672 days ago

149 posts - 264 votes 
Speaks: French, Dutch*, German, English, Mandarin
Studies: Italian

Message 61 of 355
21 July 2011 at 12:45pm | IP Logged 
I just released Version 0.9.3.

After a lot of multi-platform/multi-server testing: several bug fixes and improvements. One severe bug that
crashed importing and checking of texts on XAMPP/Win removed (Thanks, Kendall!).
Within text, archive, and term queries, selected sort order will be retained (saved in database).
All other query settings are now retained per session.

Read more - click on link on the left below my username... (don't forget to refresh the page)

lwtproject
Pentaglot
Netherlands
Joined 4672 days ago

149 posts - 264 votes 

Message 62 of 355
21 July 2011 at 1:00pm | IP Logged 
Michel1020 wrote:
If I install the last version in a new directory - will I be able to use it on my
existing database ?   

Hi, Michel1020.

If you install the ZIP in sub-directory "lwt", you start with URL: http://...../lwt

If you install in sub-directory "abc", you start with URL: http://...../abc

So you can have many versions. Every version can connect to the same or different databases.

The database connection setup is always in connect.inc.php.

The default DB is always "learning-with-texts".

Just change the database name:
$dbname = "............";

. . . . .

You may have as many databases as you like:

To create a database with different name:

Change the beginning of dbinstall.sql:

*** FROM ***
DROP DATABASE IF EXISTS `learning-with-texts`;
CREATE DATABASE `learning-with-texts` DEFAULT CHARACTER SET utf8 COLLATE utf8_general_ci;
USE `learning-with-texts`;

*** TO ***
DROP DATABASE IF EXISTS `mynewdb`;
CREATE DATABASE `mynewdb` DEFAULT CHARACTER SET utf8 COLLATE utf8_general_ci;
USE `mynewdb`;

and import the script. It will create a new db named "mynewdb".

Now change connect.inc.php:

$dbname = "mynewdb";

Hope that helps.

lwtproject
Pentaglot
Netherlands
Joined 4672 days ago

149 posts - 264 votes 

Message 63 of 355
21 July 2011 at 1:03pm | IP Logged 
Michel1020 wrote:

First I got a warning that a file was missing - I had to modify the name of file connect_easyphp.inc.php to
connect.inc.php.

Please read the instructions carefully.
You are using BETA software, and there always many changes in the documentation and installation instructions
from release to release.

lwtproject
Pentaglot
Netherlands
Joined 4672 days ago

149 posts - 264 votes 

Message 64 of 355
21 July 2011 at 1:10pm | IP Logged 
Michel1020 wrote:
I just get some troubles.

I added a new french language for testing. I noticed only the last language created can be deleted.

I tried to add a first french text, La métamorphose from Kafka. I got a Words Total of zero and when trying to read
- I did not see any text. I thought maybe the text is too long - so I tried with one of the 46 pages - then with the
first paragraph - but the resutl did not change - Words Total zero and no reading possible. I also tried to add the
text in the preexisting French language but got the same result.

This problem occurred only with XAMPP/Win and has been fixed in 0.9.3. Sorry for that, but this bug was very hard
to find (and I am not using Windows normally).

This discussion contains 355 messages over 45 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 79 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version