Language Learning Forum : Esperanto Post Reply
72 messages over 9 pages: << Previous 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... 8 9
Sprachprofi
Nonaglot
Germany
learnlangs.comRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 6267 days ago

2608 posts - 4866 votes 
Speaks: German*, English, French, Esperanto, Greek, Mandarin, Latin, Dutch, Italian
Studies: Spanish, Arabic (Written), Swahili, Indonesian, Japanese, Modern Hebrew, Portuguese

Message 65 of 72
26 July 2010 at 11:54am | IP Logged 
Please don't put words in my mouth. I never said that only Esperanto speakers were open-
minded people, or that only they could have a lifestyle shaped by international
experiences. What I did say is that Esperanto authors have this kind of backdrop, and
that shapes the literature they write.

Quote:
It is maybe better to avoid talking about "people in the movement"? This word can
have some political overtones, and it may therefore give outsiders the wrong impression?

Sure, I just needed a word. Do you have a better one?
2 persons have voted this message useful

Romanist
United Kingdom
Joined 5079 days ago

261 posts - 366 votes 
Studies: Italian

Message 66 of 72
26 July 2010 at 12:00pm | IP Logged 
Sprachprofi wrote:

Quote:
It is maybe better to avoid talking about "people in the movement"? This word can have some political overtones, and it may therefore give outsiders the wrong impression?

Sure, I just needed a word. Do you have a better one?

I personally would have said: "people in the Esperanto Community".

If you talk about a "movement", this could be taken to imply a kind of political zeal or evangelism - which is (I assume) not what Esperanto is all about?

Edited by Romanist on 26 July 2010 at 12:12pm

1 person has voted this message useful

Sprachprofi
Nonaglot
Germany
Joined 6267 days ago

2608 posts - 4866 votes 
Speaks: German*, English, French, Esperanto, Greek, Mandarin, Latin, Dutch, Italian
Studies: Spanish, Arabic (Written), Swahili, Indonesian, Japanese, Modern Hebrew, Portuguese

Message 67 of 72
26 July 2010 at 6:27pm | IP Logged 
Yeah, "community" is indeed better. In Esperanto, many people, especially Raŭmists, avoid
the word "movado" (movement), while others define it in a much more broad sense than it
has in English. For example, "movadaj novaĵoj" are news about what is going on within the
community, news about the latest literature and CDs being published and so on.
3 persons have voted this message useful

vilas
Pentaglot
Italy
Joined 6757 days ago

531 posts - 722 votes 
Speaks: Spanish, Italian*, English, French, Portuguese

Message 68 of 72
26 July 2010 at 8:00pm | IP Logged 
Why do people hate esperanto?

Esperanto is an invented language spoken in particular conventions, clubs , associations where is possible to talk with other esperantistas.
In other places is most of the time useless.

Somebody like to play chess, or collect stamps , so they meet to enjoy their passion . Somebody else like to speak esperanto or klingon or another cryptic language . More or less is the same thing. The problem is when some esperantist become like a Jeovah Witnees and starts looking for proselytes...In this case people get upset. I prefer interlingua . at least helps me to improuve my knowledge of romance languages ......
5 persons have voted this message useful

Juаn
Colombia
Joined 5142 days ago

727 posts - 1830 votes 
Speaks: Spanish*

Message 69 of 72
27 July 2010 at 12:50am | IP Logged 
Sprachprofi wrote:
The flip side of the coin is the after-meeting blues. Having lived among a diverse, truly international group of people that are sometimes quite geeky, and open-minded about a lot of things, it's not easy to go back to your small town where people look at you funny for wanting to learn Chinese or Arabic, never mind Swahili.

Paradoxically (or not) it is that "small-town people" around the world with all their prejudices, arbitrariness and uniqueness which make learning foreign languages interesting; the culture of the Chinese, Arabs and Swahili which you're trying to approximate through their tongue has been created and is sustained by them. Precisely by not being devoid of content, culture excludes. And just as well; I wouldn't want to spend six years learning Arabic only to find their culture to be the same as mine, as would be the case if everyone happened to learn one tongue of "universal understanding" and accept its premises. When learning a new language, I want to experience difference, distinction, dissonance, not generic, fluffy "open-mindedness".

Esperanto might be a good language for parties for perhaps too sophisticated Europeans and such, but it's not going to open up genuinely new experiences and perspectives like a natural language does.
5 persons have voted this message useful

Sprachprofi
Nonaglot
Germany
Joined 6267 days ago

2608 posts - 4866 votes 

Message 70 of 72
27 July 2010 at 9:48am | IP Logged 
Quote:
Esperanto might be a good language for parties for perhaps too sophisticated
Europeans and such, but it's not going to open up genuinely new experiences and
perspectives like a natural language does.

... And how exactly do you know that? Have you been to Esperantujo? Have you talked to a
lot of Esperanto speakers? I'm sure the many Japanese / Chinese / Brazilian / West
African / Iranian / Vietnamese / Kazakh Esperanto speakers will be impressed with your
analysis. This attitude really does not belong on a language forum. If I said that
learning Swedish won't open up genuinely new experiences and perspectives (because all
Scandinavians speak English and over-adopt American culture, right?), there'd be an
outcry.
4 persons have voted this message useful

mrhenrik
Triglot
Norway
Joined 5876 days ago

482 posts - 658 votes 
Speaks: Norwegian*, English, French
Personal Language Map

Message 71 of 72
27 July 2010 at 12:01pm | IP Logged 
Moderator mode:
Please folks, try to be a bit respectful and read through your posts from the other
party's perspective before you hit the Post Message button. They have made threads like
these escalate before though, so I'll consider deleting such posts in the interest of
civilised discussion.

"A little Consideration, a little Thought for Others, makes all the difference."
- Winnie the Pooh

(please do not comment on or reply to this here, drop me or another moderator/the
administrator a message instead)

Edited by mrhenrik on 28 July 2010 at 3:39pm

2 persons have voted this message useful

This discussion contains 72 messages over 9 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version