Switzerland
Joined 6236 days ago

4474 posts - 6726 votes 
Speaks: English*, Esperanto, German, Italian
Studies: French, Finnish, Mandarin, Japanese

Message 41 of 72
22 May 2010 at 7:52am | IP Logged 
Solfrid Cristin wrote:
I would assume that it really boils down to the fact, that people don't like having opinions shoved down their throats,regardless of topic.

I have for instance two vegetarian friends. My best friend is a vegetarian, but as she just makes her (totally yummie) food, and does not try to convert me, I have no problem whatsoever with that. The we have another friend, a vegan, who is always talking about how morally wrong it is not to be a vegan, sends me heaps of links to vegan articles on Facebook and actually managed to antagonize my best friend because he claimed that the worst kind of people were non-vegan vegetarians, becauase they were trators to the cause.

When people try to push something down my throat, whether it be languages, religion or dietary requirements I run a mile in the opposite directions - and I suspect I am not the only one.

That's pretty close to a universal human trait - and evangelizing and calling people of similar-but-not-identical beliefs traitors is unfortunately rather common too.

As a vegan Esperanto-speaker, I try not to be too dogmatic. ;-)

Solfrid Cristin wrote:

I looked at a book for learning Esperanto many years ago. It seemed like a natural language to learn for me, since I am so fond of languages, and I do farily often get the question of whether I speak Esperanto. It didn't "click" however - and I never started off. This thread has however made me a lot more positive to the whole language.

It's always strange to have a language it seems it would be really natural for you to learn, but which just doesn't "click" - Mandarin continually falls into this category for me, though I may try to learn it someday despite that.

I'm glad this thread has made you more positive about the language; I sometimes worry that the contentious Esperanto threads mainly sow discord, and it's nice to see counterexamples.

3 persons have voted this message useful

Solfrid Cristin
Heptaglot
Winner TAC 2011 & 2012
Norway
Joined 5131 days ago

4143 posts - 8864 votes 
Speaks: Norwegian*, Spanish, Swedish, French, English, German, Italian
Studies: Russian

Message 42 of 72
22 May 2010 at 8:48am | IP Logged 
Volte wrote:

As a vegan Esperanto-speaker, I try not to be too dogmatic. ;-)

And you are doing a good job at it!!

It's always strange to have a language it seems it would be really natural for you to learn, but which just doesn't "click" - Mandarin continually falls into this category for me, though I may try to learn it someday despite that.

I'm glad this thread has made you more positive about the language; I sometimes worry that the contentious Esperanto threads mainly sow discord, and it's nice to see counterexamples.

And you are doing a good job at not being dogmatic (and I meant no offence to vegans in general, obviously!!

I don't mind a little discord, but I think it is nice to see how so many here have managed to present the positive sides of Esperanto without overdooing it. :-)
3 persons have voted this message useful

Fasulye
Heptaglot
Winner TAC 2012
Germany
fasulyespolyglotblog
Joined 5644 days ago

5460 posts - 6006 votes 
1 sounds
Speaks: German*, DutchC1, EnglishB2, French, Italian, Spanish, Esperanto
Studies: Latin, Danish, Norwegian, Turkish
Personal Language Map

Message 43 of 72
22 May 2010 at 12:05pm | IP Logged 
It doesn't lie in my character to be dogmatic, neither with a language like Esperanto, nor with eating vegetarian food nor with politics.

My personal Esperanto-contacts are language-oriented and social. Those Esperantists I like to meet with speak Esperanto fluently, avoid crocodiling ("krokodili"), they enjoy the Esperanto culture and they are inspiring.

They are the same kind of people who enjoy speaking other foreign languages like English, Spanish, Russian and...

And on my last Esperanto-weekend I met a polyglot Esperantist, talking in Esperanto with him about the different aspects of polyglottery and about our projects of learning other languages.

One year earlier I had met the same polyglot Esperantist, but I had the wish to talk English with him to practise my English. So at that occasion we enjoyed talking English together (he: being Dutch and me: being German).

Fasulye

Edited by Fasulye on 22 May 2010 at 6:39pm

4 persons have voted this message useful

Wise owl chick
Ecuador
Joined 5115 days ago

122 posts - 137 votes 
Studies: English

Message 44 of 72
22 May 2010 at 12:24pm | IP Logged 
Fasulye wrote:
Those Esperantists I like to meet with speak Esperanto fluently, avoid crocodiling ("krokodili")

Fasulye

What means crocodiling?
1 person has voted this message useful

Fasulye
Heptaglot
Winner TAC 2012
Germany
fasulyespolyglotblog
Joined 5644 days ago

5460 posts - 6006 votes 
1 sounds
Speaks: German*, DutchC1, EnglishB2, French, Italian, Spanish, Esperanto
Studies: Latin, Danish, Norwegian, Turkish
Personal Language Map

Message 45 of 72
22 May 2010 at 2:54pm | IP Logged 
Wise owl chick wrote:
Fasulye wrote:
Those Esperantists I like to meet with speak Esperanto fluently, avoid crocodiling ("krokodili")

Fasulye

What means crocodiling?

Crocodiling = If two Esperantists speak their native language with each other at an Esperanto-meeting. For example if I would speak German with the German members of my Esperanto group during the meeting.

Esperantists like to say: "Ne krokudilu!" = Lets not speak our native language!

Fasulye

2 persons have voted this message useful

Wise owl chick
Ecuador
Joined 5115 days ago

122 posts - 137 votes 
Studies: English

Message 46 of 72
23 May 2010 at 1:46pm | IP Logged 
Fasulye wrote:
Wise owl chick wrote:
Fasulye wrote:

Fasulye

What means crocodiling?

Crocodiling = If two Esperantists speak their native language with each other at an Esperanto-meeting. For example if I would speak German with the German members of my Esperanto group during the meeting.

Fasulye

That's funny. Has Esperanto many funny expressions like this?

Volte
Tetraglot
Switzerland
Joined 6236 days ago

4474 posts - 6726 votes 
Speaks: English*, Esperanto, German, Italian
Studies: French, Finnish, Mandarin, Japanese

Message 47 of 72
23 May 2010 at 2:02pm | IP Logged 
Wise owl chick wrote:
Fasulye wrote:
Wise owl chick wrote:
Fasulye wrote:

Fasulye

What means crocodiling?

Fasulye

That's funny. Has Esperanto many funny expressions like this?

Yes. Iversen wrote about them in his log, translating from Esperanto wikipedia.

Juаn
Colombia
Joined 5142 days ago

727 posts - 1830 votes 
Speaks: Spanish*

Message 48 of 72
23 May 2010 at 5:07pm | IP Logged 
Solfrid Cristin wrote:
he claimed that the worst kind of people were non-vegan vegetarians, becauase they were trators to the cause.

While I sympathize with his cause wholeheartedly (without following it myself), this attitude is the hallmark of fanaticism.

5 persons have voted this message useful

This discussion contains 72 messages over 9 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 57 8 9  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version