Bilingual Triglot
Australia
Joined 5839 days ago

396 posts - 542 votes 
Speaks: English*, Czech*, Spanish
Studies: German

Message 49 of 72
27 May 2010 at 4:51pm | IP Logged 
Maybe it's a fear of anything synthetic/unnatural. For example, a lot of people dislike robots. In most movies they end up trying to kill everyone. All humans that is.

Or think of our clothing. Most people regard silk more highly than they do polyester.

Edited by John Smith on 27 May 2010 at 4:51pm

1 person has voted this message useful

GREGORG4000
Diglot
United States
Joined 5320 days ago

307 posts - 479 votes 
Speaks: English*, Finnish
Studies: Japanese, Korean, Amharic, French

Message 50 of 72
27 May 2010 at 5:10pm | IP Logged 
By the way, Finnish has a pretty cool affix system

onnettomuus = accident
onni = luck
-ttoma-="absence of" ending
-us =
Wiktionary wrote:
A suffix for creating nouns from verbs (deverbal) and from adjectives. It can be combined with practically all adjectives to create a noun that expresses a quality.

Edited by GREGORG4000 on 27 May 2010 at 5:10pm

Wise owl chick
Ecuador
Joined 5115 days ago

122 posts - 137 votes 
Studies: English

Message 51 of 72
27 May 2010 at 5:34pm | IP Logged 
Volte wrote:
wise owl chick wrote:

That's funny. Has Esperanto many funny expressions like this?

Yes. Iversen wrote about them in his log, translating from Esperanto wikipedia.

It's a great list, thank you!!

John Smith wrote:
Maybe it's a fear of anything synthetic/unnatural. For example, a lot of people dislike robots. In most movies they end up trying to kill everyone. All humans that is.

Or think of our clothing. Most people regard silk more highly than they do polyester.

I think that with the robots it depend of what they exactly do. If they trying to kill everyone, of course I don't like them at all. In effect, I don't like them generally, I think.

Solfrid Cristin
Heptaglot
Winner TAC 2011 & 2012
Norway
Joined 5131 days ago

4143 posts - 8864 votes 
Speaks: Norwegian*, Spanish, Swedish, French, English, German, Italian
Studies: Russian

Message 52 of 72
27 May 2010 at 7:51pm | IP Logged 
Juаn wrote:
Solfrid Cristin wrote:
he claimed that the worst kind of people were non-vegan vegetarians, because they were traitors to the cause.

While I sympathize with his cause wholeheartedly (without following it myself), this attitude is the hallmark of fanaticism.

I know, I have seen the same when it comes to religion. In Norway the vast majority of the people are Lutheran protestants, most are rather laid back when it comes to their religion, but there are some that are very intense.

Many years ago I listened to two old ladies, who were going on about what seemed to me to be marginal differences in faiths and beliefs, but got so angry that I thought I would have to call the police. Finally one of them said heatedly "Everything written in the Bible is true", and the oter one repated, "Yes, everything written in the Bible is true". And then they made their peace. At the same place (run by a religious sect) I was ordered not to wear short skirts in the dining room(I was 18 at the time and the only one under the age of 65). "You must think of the old gentlemens' hearts", I was told. It took me years before I figured out what the length of my skirt had to do with the old men's hearts. :-) I try to remember that every time someone is critical of young girls for wearing short skirts. The filth is in the eye of the beholder.

I doubt that liking or not liking Esperanto is that fanatical. At least I hope not.:-)
3 persons have voted this message useful

Fasulye
Heptaglot
Winner TAC 2012
Germany
fasulyespolyglotblog
Joined 5644 days ago

5460 posts - 6006 votes 
1 sounds
Speaks: German*, DutchC1, EnglishB2, French, Italian, Spanish, Esperanto
Studies: Latin, Danish, Norwegian, Turkish
Personal Language Map

Message 53 of 72
02 June 2010 at 10:20am | IP Logged 
For me as an Esperantist Esperanto is one of my 6, 7, 8..... foreign languages, nothing more than that.

Fasulye

Edited by Fasulye on 02 June 2010 at 2:01pm

3 persons have voted this message useful

cordelia0507
United Kingdom
Joined 5635 days ago

1473 posts - 2176 votes 
Speaks: Swedish*
Studies: German, Russian

Message 54 of 72
07 July 2010 at 12:19pm | IP Logged 
mrhenrik wrote:
Me - I just don't care about Esperanto,

Since you don't study it, and don't care about it is rather surprising that you participate in most threads about it!

I think you unconsciously DO care about it and based on your comments I think you have some reservations about it; why, I wouldn't know. But maybe you should ask yourself the question. People don't normally spend time debating or writing about something they don't care about.

--------------

I do not (yet) speak Esperanto and my knowledge is limited. But I admit I like it a lot. My impression based on comments on this forum is:

People criticise the fact that it was constructed. That's an aspect of lots of languages though; Russian, Hebrew and many others that I can't recall about right now.
The point is; why should that matter?

Lack of associated culture and literary tradtions: Lots of languages/countries suffer from this and in additions the Esperantists keep assuring everyone that there is indeed a culture and a literary tradition.

Esperanto is doing a lot better than Sami and a whole bunch of other small languages in Europe, the Russian federation or the third world.. just for starters. There are more websites and radio programs in Esperanto than in many living European languages.
(Tell the Lapps that Saami is not a proper language because there are only a few hundred books in it, and you'd have an EU minority discrimination case on your hands!)

I think that there is more to this than the standard reservations though:

Lots of people are happy with the status quo of English filling the Lingua franca role in Europe and the world.

Esperantos' ideals to them seem too pacifist, generally hippie-like or universalist (want to say "flum" a Swedish word, there is no good word for this concept in English).

On the other hand, the "Esperanto-sceptics" are fluent in English and they generally support the current world order in the West. Anything that goes against that seems a bit provoking or just laughable; and a good target to critisize or ridicule.

If you truly don't care, you'd say "well, good luck to them!" or "why should I care?" not start thinking up "linguistic" or "cultural" reservations and stubbornly refuse refuse to accept the responses of the subject matter experts (Esperantists)

Edited by cordelia0507 on 07 July 2010 at 12:43pm

5 persons have voted this message useful

Iversen
Super Polyglot
Denmark
berejst.dk
Joined 6500 days ago

9078 posts - 16473 votes 
Speaks: Danish*, French, English, German, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese, Dutch, Swedish, Esperanto, Romanian, Catalan
Studies: Afrikaans, Greek, Norwegian, Russian, Serbian, Icelandic, Latin, Irish, Lowland Scots, Indonesian, Polish, Croatian
Personal Language Map

Message 55 of 72
07 July 2010 at 12:34pm | IP Logged 
Quote:
Iversen wrote about them in his log, translating from Esperanto wikipedia.

About "Crocodiling" etc. Because I removed one message the link now goes to page 176

GREGORG4000
Diglot
United States
Joined 5320 days ago

307 posts - 479 votes 
Speaks: English*, Finnish
Studies: Japanese, Korean, Amharic, French

Message 56 of 72
07 July 2010 at 1:19pm | IP Logged 
cordelia0507 wrote:
mrhenrik wrote:
Me - I just don't care about Esperanto,
Since you don't study it, and don't care about it is rather surprising that you participate in most threads about it!

I think you unconsciously DO care about it and based on your comments I think you have some reservations about it; why, I wouldn't know. But maybe you should ask yourself the question. People don't normally spend time debating or writing about something they don't care about.

Unless those people happen to be a moderator whose job is to seek out heated conversations and give them ice cold beverages...
cordelia0507 wrote:

If you truly don't care, you'd say "well, good luck to them!" or "why should I care?" not start thinking up "linguistic" or "cultural" reservations and stubbornly refuse refuse to accept the responses of the subject matter experts (Esperantists)

I know that there are some people who don't really make a good argument against the adoption of Esperanto. Most arguments I've seen are "ESPERANTO DOESNT HAVE CULTURAL TRADITION" "YES IT DOES" "*SILENCE*" "I WON, ALL ESPERANTO HATERS ARE IGNORANT"

This discussion contains 72 messages over 9 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 68 9  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version