United States
Joined 6986 days ago

3133 posts - 4351 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish
Studies: Esperanto, French

Message 1 of 92
28 September 2007 at 11:13pm | IP Logged 
The primary tools of late:

Jen Nia Mondo (JNM). Listened to this in the car over the last couple three weeks. Found a couple of pdfs on the net, which I find handy. Some of the vocabulary and exercises in the book aren't part of the audio. The book also helps me do a quick review of the dialogs. JNM was a radio course. It has a lot of teaching language. I sped up those sections by 20% with Audacity to hold my attention a better. Handy here is that the CDs have separate tracks for the dialog and lesson. In the end, once I've wrenched everything out of the teaching language, the dialogs will remain as about 40 minutes of material.

Vojagxu Kun Zam (VKZ). Started with lesson 20 and working back towards lesson 0, which is an Andy E trick for review or diving into the deep end of material for which one has a background. Currently my goal is to be able to shadow and understand the audio as well as understand the morphology of the vocabulary. VKZ is Assimilesque. VKZ flattens out to about 10 minutes of audio.

Bildoj Kaj Demandoj (BKD). Like VKZ, this is a lernu.net course. I had it down pretty well a year ago. The shortened audio I made for it has come in handy. Basically I have the 50 lesson course audio compressed down to all of the questions and responses plus a pause in which to repeat both. Probably 30 minutes of quick paced exercises. I'm thinking of starting the online course with lesson 20 as a refresher of fine points and to better recall the pictures, etc. I'd like to be able to repeat the q/a with relative ease. I can do that without much difficulty for the first 20 lessons or so. After that, I have to repeat the lesson more than once to understand and do it correctly. BKD covers most of the grammatical points of Esperanto as well as several affixes, but not much vocabulary. The audio ends up being like a quick FSI drill set. Less creative than FSI, but largely devoid of context, like FSI drills. These are helpful for correctness.

La Donaco de la Magoj. A story by O. Henry. I have the audio and text in English and Esperanto. I sped up the English mp3 by 50% to make quick review painless while surfing the web or playing a card game. Those aren't good habits, but my goal here is full disclosure. The Esperanto version I sped up by 30% to make it more palatable. The goal here is primarily comprehension at this point. This is about 15 minutes of material. I created a parallel text to use for listen-reading. Unfortunately the Esperanto translation doesn't match the audio. I found a matching translation, but the special Esperanto characters wouldn't save (and they were messed up on the web page I grabbed it from). I guess I could use the old cx, gx, sx method. Aesthetically that isn't as pleasing, but may be a useful exercise. Besides, the communication from the local Esperanto group uses it, so becoming accustomed to it may continue to provide fruit.

Mi Estas Komencanto. Another lernu.net course that is Pimsleuresque. I listened to about 5 lessons commuting today. It seems useful to prepare for an Esperanto meeting. There are 11 short lessons.

Things I've only looked at briefly are Gerda Malaperis and Teach Yourself Esperanto. Both of these seem very good and have about an hour each of audio between them.

Edited by luke on 29 September 2007 at 12:49pm

2 persons have voted this message useful

Serpent
Octoglot
Russian Federation
serpent-849.livejour
Joined 6378 days ago

9753 posts - 15779 votes 
4 sounds
Speaks: Russian*, English, FinnishC1, Latin, German, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese
Studies: Danish, Romanian, Polish, Belarusian, Ukrainian, Croatian, Slovenian, Catalan, Czech, Galician, Dutch, Swedish

Message 2 of 92
29 September 2007 at 9:00am | IP Logged 
Good luck with your Esperanto :)
and thanks for inspiration, I think I'll also study some today :)))
2 persons have voted this message useful

luke
Diglot
United States
Joined 6986 days ago

3133 posts - 4351 votes 

Message 3 of 92
01 October 2007 at 9:38pm | IP Logged 
I did a little in most of the courses today. I did a bit more in Teach Yourself Esperanto (TYE) than I normally would have, but I wanted to dub the tape and it was a good opportunity to read along with the dialogs. There are a couple of extended gaps of silence on the tape. I didn't want those on the dub, nor did I want the intro. The last dialog was cut a bit short on my dub. Its okay for now.

I am thinking of doing a little in each course each day though. Although I've tended to use several courses, and I'm not completely sold on the idea for more complicated languages, it seems appropriate for the Esperanto material I have. It's good for variety.

The way I have the material edited, I can review 5 lessons of from BKD in a couple of minutes. It seems better to do just a bit of this course each day, but to repeat it several times so the patterns sink in. There is a single page that has all the BKD pictures, which goes perfect with my 2-3 minute 5 lesson review.

I've got playlists for 5 VKZ dialogs (4 playlists for 20 lessons). This also makes for a very quick review.

JNM dialogs are typically about 2 minutes, so one of those can be reviewed pretty quickly too. I can do the teaching language lesson in a separate 10 minute session.

Each of these courses / lessons teaches more than just the dialog. Becoming aware of the grammatical rules and recognizing them in action is a big part of the learning process. After I have the dialogs down, I think going through the provided exercises may be helpful. Right now, I want to get my comprehension and pronunciation in order.

There's a certain satisfaction in understanding new material or reading some "real" material. There are some classic Esperanto books out there such as Plato's Republic. One of the neat things about Esperanto is that getting vocabulary up to a comfortable level seems like it will come much faster than Spanish or French vocab.

Edited by luke on 01 October 2007 at 9:39pm

1 person has voted this message useful

Sprachprofi
Nonaglot
Germany
learnlangs.comRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 6251 days ago

2608 posts - 4866 votes 
Speaks: German*, English, French, Esperanto, Greek, Mandarin, Latin, Dutch, Italian
Studies: Spanish, Arabic (Written), Swahili, Indonesian, Japanese, Modern Hebrew, Portuguese

Message 4 of 92
02 October 2007 at 4:09am | IP Logged 
luke wrote:
There's a certain satisfaction in understanding new material or reading some "real" material. There are some classic Esperanto books out there such as Plato's Republic. One of the neat things about Esperanto is that getting vocabulary up to a comfortable level seems like it will come much faster than Spanish or French vocab.

Be sure to check out original literature, too.

When studying vocabulary, do not focus on new roots too much but instead drill yourself on the affixes, preposition-verb and noun-noun combinations. In Esperanto, the sign of a good command of the language (especially in literature) is to creatively use a few hundred word stems, rather than using lots of advanced word stems that hardly anybody else can understand. I will be posting a thread methodically revising/practising Esperanto affixes in the Practical Language-Learning forum shortly.
4 persons have voted this message useful

luke
Diglot
United States
Joined 6986 days ago

3133 posts - 4351 votes 

Message 5 of 92
03 October 2007 at 5:24pm | IP Logged 
Sprachprofi wrote:
Be sure to check out original literature, too.

When studying vocabulary, do not focus on new roots too much but instead drill yourself on the affixes, preposition-verb and noun-noun combinations. In Esperanto, the sign of a good command of the language (especially in literature) is to creatively use a few hundred word stems.

Thanks for the tips Sprachprofi. I'm looking forward to reading some original Esperanto lit in addition to some translations such as The Republic, which I've never read, and philosophical essays be Bertrand Russell, etc. I own La Bona Lingvo by Claude Piron which is, as you know, original Esperanto and also espouses the benefits of the affix system for helping everyone, regardless of native language to communicate with a smaller set of root words than would be required in a national language.

In the world of study, I'm continuing with BKD, VKZ, JNM and TYE. It's very fulfilling how far a relatively small number of Esperanto study hours takes one. I was focusing heavily on French for about 6 weeks. I had a background in that from the U days. In the three weeks I've been focusing on Esperanto, my capability is way beyond my French proficiency. I studied Esperanto pretty seriously about a year ago, and compared to Spanish and French it is so much easier to get communicative. Although I haven't been working much on my Spanish lately, Esperanto has turned on the language center of my brain, and I'm inventing Spanish sentences with a pleasant facility.

luke
Diglot
United States
Joined 6986 days ago

3133 posts - 4351 votes 

Message 6 of 92
04 October 2007 at 9:09pm | IP Logged 
Hodiaux mi legis tezon ke Linguamour skribis ĉi tie en la forumo. Gxi diris al mi ke mi devos skribi ĉi tie.

Nun mi demandas al mi, ĉu gxi estas plugino por fajrovulpo? Mi amas kiam mi skribas kaj la computilo esperantigxas miajn vortojn. Lernu.net konas ke cxu signifas ĉu.

Vi povas vidi ke mi devos lerni pli Esperanton.

Hodiaux mi studis miajn nuntempajn kursojn. VKZ, BKD, JNM, Gerda Malaperis (GM), kaj TYE. Mi pensis ke mi povos vidi la bildojn de BKD kaj mi povos respondi kiam la registrado demandos la demandojn.

Mi iras.

Se vi volas diri al mi pli bona vortojn ne timus. Mi ne pensas ke mi skribas bone, sed la tezo diris al mi, "skribu".

Just in case the above is too unclear... Below is not a literal translation.
Today Linguamour provided a link for an article on getting started. Some points that stood out were:

1) Use the language for communication.
2) Variety and a bit of unpredictability is good.
3) Review is helpful.
4) Input is very important.
5) Kial diras la proverbo, iru rapide malrapide.
6) Boring is bad.

I may have started Esperanto output prematurely above. I had to use the dictionary too often, and the words I found were not old friends that I simply forgot.

Wouldn't it be nice if Firefox had an Esperanto typing and grammar plugin? It sure seems to have a reasonable English spell check.

Just so no one panics and thinks I couldn't have read the article because I didn't say anything about language helping parters, I'm just commenting on the bits I can use right now. It did give me ideas for language exchanges and the local Esperanto club meeting.

The biggest message I got was, be communicative and figure out what's going on.

Edited by luke on 04 October 2007 at 9:21pm

luke
Diglot
United States
Joined 6986 days ago

3133 posts - 4351 votes 

Message 7 of 92
06 October 2007 at 8:05pm | IP Logged 
Mi lernis, mi legis, mi parolis, kaj mi studis.

Mi lernos, mi legos, mi parolos, kaj mi studos.

Mi volas legi Gerda Malaperis kaj TYE ĉi tio semajnfino.

luke
Diglot
United States
Joined 6986 days ago

3133 posts - 4351 votes 

Message 8 of 92
09 October 2007 at 12:11pm | IP Logged 
Mi studis kun BKD. Mi rigardis la bildojn sed ne la vortojn, kaj mi aŭdis la sondosieron. Mi aŭdis la demandojn kaj mi vidis la bildojn kaj mi respondis a la demandojn.

Mi studis VKZ ankaŭ. Mi rigardis la bildojn dum diris la dialogon.

This discussion contains 92 messages over 12 pages: 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version