Diglot
United States
Joined 6983 days ago

3133 posts - 4351 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish
Studies: Esperanto, French

Message 33 of 92
21 November 2012 at 9:23pm | IP Logged 
I was looking around youtube and found this documentary on Esperanto and Esperantists.

I also found a full length movie called Gerda Malaperis in Esperanto. It follows the book pretty well. This word list for Gerda Malaperis may be helpful. Here is a translation into English for the first 3 chapters.

On the learning front, I've been rolling through about one Jen Nia Mondo lesson per day.

And here is one sobre el idioma internacional in Spanish.

Edited by luke on 21 November 2012 at 10:27pm

3 persons have voted this message useful

luke
Diglot
United States
Joined 6983 days ago

3133 posts - 4351 votes 

Message 34 of 92
22 November 2012 at 2:10am | IP Logged 
I also found an Esperanto course in Spanish. I've read the prologue and the first 2 lessons. It seems pretty good to me. The main speaker in the video in the previous posting mentioned this as a good book for learning Esperanto in about 50 hours. That seems very doable. I burned through the first two lessons in maybe 30 minutes, but for me that has been primarily review and a good chance to use Spanish and notice how Esperanto is taught to hispanohablantes.

Edited by luke on 22 November 2012 at 2:46pm

2 persons have voted this message useful

luke
Diglot
United States
Joined 6983 days ago

3133 posts - 4351 votes 

Message 35 of 92
22 November 2012 at 4:59pm | IP Logged 
I've watched Pasaporto al la Tuta Mondo up through video 5 a second time. I follow up the watching of the video with listening to the mp3 at some point later. I've split the video's audio out into 3 parts. Intro, episode, and closing comments. I plan to shadow the episode in the car, but I'll have to figure out how to fit that in between the Jen Nia Mondo lessons.

Edited by luke on 23 November 2012 at 2:48pm

1 person has voted this message useful

luke
Diglot
United States
Joined 6983 days ago

3133 posts - 4351 votes 

Message 36 of 92
23 November 2012 at 10:56pm | IP Logged 
Today I watched the 6th Pasaporto video again. The course material is said to be graded, so as expected, the later videos are more challenging. I can tell a real difference between the first and sixth videos.

I also read through lesson 4 from ¿Sabe Usted Esperanto?

I wish I could say I did a Jen Nia Mondo lesson today, but I gave my wife a break as we drove in the car and we just listened to classic rock.

Edited by luke on 24 November 2012 at 2:29pm

luke
Diglot
United States
Joined 6983 days ago

3133 posts - 4351 votes 

Message 37 of 92
25 November 2012 at 12:42am | IP Logged 
The saga continued with the 7th Pasaporto al la Tuta Mondo video. Definitely worth watching that one a second time. You know how it is where we don't always pay close attention, our mind wanders, or we simply don't understand well what all is going on? Well, I had less of that and more of an, "I understand what all is happening" this time through. I feel I'm in a good position to watch the next episode.

In the car I listened to lesson 12 from Jen Nia Mondo, which reminds me that I want to read that lesson in the book. The book is helpful, and that lesson would be good to hear again. Originally, it sounds like the producers of the program had thought of just doing the 12 lessons. There is a further course containing lessons 13-25. It will be fun to see what that holds in store...

I also read through lesson 5 in ¿Sabe Usted Esperanto?. One of the interesting features there is noticing how closely related Spanish and Esperanto vocabulary are.

Por ejemplo:
BENKO BANCO (asiento)
AMI AMAR
BOTELO BOTELLA
DANCI DANZAR, BAILAR
FRAZO FRASE
DIRI DECIR
LAGO LAGO
DONI DAR
LECIONO LECCIÓN
LUNO LUNA
KISI BESAR
PATRO PADRE
LEGI LEER
STELO ESTRELLA
ORDONI ORDENAR, MANDAR
SUPO SOPA
PROMENI PASEAR
VINO VINO
RESPONDI RESPONDER

P.S. I did read through JNM lesson 12. At the end of the course book there is a small dictionary for the course. At the end is some more info. The course was published in 1977, 35 years ago. They mention a "follow-up course uniform with Jen Nia Mondo will be available shortly from Group Five" (the producers of the course).

Edited by luke on 25 November 2012 at 1:07am

luke
Diglot
United States
Joined 6983 days ago

3133 posts - 4351 votes 

Message 38 of 92
26 November 2012 at 1:47am | IP Logged 
Today I watched episode 8 of Pasaporto twice. Kia video! La gehomoj en la filmo estas bonaj kaj buntaj. Mi amas vin.

I also listened to lesson 13 in Jen Nia Mondo. I noticed in the preface to the second part of the course it notes that they cover a total of 1500 words. All of the most frequently used words as determined by a recognized method are covered. I already have good confidence in the course, but that helps to underscore it a bit.

I went through lesson 20 in Bildoj kaj Demandoj. This course doesn't cover a lot of vocabulary, but thrills with drills.

I found this illustrated history of L.L. Zamenhof, who is the creator of Esperanto. The comic moves quickly and is in English, but the music that accompanies the video is in Esperanto.

Here is a short video about Esperanto in French.

And another short video in Esperanto with French subtitles.

Edited by luke on 26 November 2012 at 2:12am

3 persons have voted this message useful

luke
Diglot
United States
Joined 6983 days ago

3133 posts - 4351 votes 

Message 39 of 92
27 November 2012 at 2:17am | IP Logged 
Today, Jen Nia Mondo lesson 14. I listened to it and read the dialogue later. Part 2 of the JNM course has more substance and vocabulary. The prologue says the 2 part course will teach all of the Esperanto grammar.

In the background, I listened to the drama parts of the first 4 episodes of Pasaporto al la Tuta Mondo. I've decided to split the drama part of each episode into 2 segments. They will be about 10 minutes each. That will make for a good short dip into Esperanto during my drives. When listening in the background, extra segments don't have a downside. So I see something like this:

Morning commute - 1st part of Psaporto lesson
Evening commute - Jen Nia Mondo - previous dialogue and lesson
Morning commute - 2nd part of Pasaporto lesson
Evening commute - Jen Nia Mondo - next lesson and previous dialogue
Morning commute - Pasaporto end of lesson and intro to next lesson.
etc.

I like short lessons and short sessions.

luke
Diglot
United States
Joined 6983 days ago

3133 posts - 4351 votes 

Message 40 of 92
28 November 2012 at 5:08pm | IP Logged 
Today I re-watched lesson 9 in Pasaporto. Later, I watched lesson 10 in Pasaporto for the first time. I'm imagining some drill down with a book into corelatives would be helpful in the near future to nail some important details down.

I should have some extra study time next week. Makes me wonder if I go for my orignal thought of getting through the Tuta Mondo videos and listening to the Teach Yourself Esperanto dialogues, or spending some time specifically on corelatives. Generally, I like bite sized chunks where I can pat myself on the back and say, "I did that" more than taking on a vaguer but more focused goal such as "learn corelatives better". In the end, the big picture goals are the most important, but it's more empowering to just keep focusing on little steps towards the destination, rather than longer term goals. It's too easy for me to get lost in planning for the long term while not doing anything in the present. That's a mistake that leads nowhere.

Edited by luke on 28 November 2012 at 5:11pm

This discussion contains 92 messages over 12 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 46 7 8 9 10 11 12  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version