Diglot
United States
Joined 6991 days ago

3133 posts - 4351 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish
Studies: Esperanto, French

Message 25 of 92
06 November 2012 at 9:32pm | IP Logged 
One other cool thing I came across is this blog for a University Course with handouts for Pasaporto al la Tuta Mondo.

I watched this full length (77 minute) animation completely in Esperanto.

Edited by luke on 06 November 2012 at 9:34pm

3 persons have voted this message useful

luke
Diglot
United States
Joined 6991 days ago

3133 posts - 4351 votes 

Message 26 of 92
10 November 2012 at 2:14am | IP Logged 
I started the librivox.org book called the Esperanto Teacher. That doesn't seem bad at all, but it's come on me that Jen Nia Mondo is perfectly suited for my current studies. Jen Nia Mondo has several features:

1) Short lessons - approximately 15 minutes each. It's done in the style of a radio program, so there is a good amount of teaching language and some real dialogues. The dialogues are about 3 minutes per lesson. There are 25 lessons, so the dialogues alone will be over an hour of pure Esperanto input. The dialogues will be good for background listening. It's a course that I can see doing in waves, rather than mastering one lesson at a time.

2) There is also support in the form of 2 books. One for lessons 1-12, and the other for 13-25. The books have a bit of info that isn't in the radio program, and it's helpful to have some written language to go along with the audio.

3) Dialogues separated so they can be listened to in the background, shadowed, etc.

So, my basic approach will be listen to approximately 1 radio lesson per day. That can be done in the car. The books can be referred to at other times, such as in the morning or on a break from work. The dialogues will be part of my background listening track.

I did a few more Bildoj Kaj Demandoj lessons. I believe I'm on lesson 15 of 50 today. I reviewed 1-15 this morning using the "all pictures" view and my personally edited mp3 that I'm using as a listen/repeat. I.E., look at the pictures and hear the question/answer, then look away and repeat the question and answer without looking at the words.

Today I also took a quick trip through lessons 0-20 in Vojagxu kun Zam. I looked at the interlinear text, the notes, and the vocabulary, looking at how the notes apply to the text. As I mentioned earlier, VKZ is like a mini Assimil course in Esperanto. It also has the benefit of 21 short monologues, which I listen to in the background and shadow or will shadow.

It's pretty amazing how quickly Esperanto can be brought online.

Edited by luke on 11 November 2012 at 5:28am

2 persons have voted this message useful

luke
Diglot
United States
Joined 6991 days ago

3133 posts - 4351 votes 

Message 27 of 92
11 November 2012 at 5:48am | IP Logged 
On the Pasaporto al la Tuta Mondo track, I've watched through video 7. I also wondered if it was possible to turn a youtube video into an mp3 and found it is possible. I used http://www.vid2mp3.com/ and it seems to work fine. I had to re-click a couple of times, but was able to convert all 8 videos with no problem.

I listened to lesson 3 and re-shadowed lesson 2 on the Jen Nia Mondo track.

Edited by luke on 11 November 2012 at 5:50am

1 person has voted this message useful

luke
Diglot
United States
Joined 6991 days ago

3133 posts - 4351 votes 

Message 28 of 92
12 November 2012 at 2:14am | IP Logged 
Watched video 8 in Pasaporto al la Tuta Mondo.

Used Audacity to compress (make the mp3 audio more even, so the softly spoken parts are louder and so that parts where the speaker may have gotten to close to the microphone aren't over-amplified). This set of recordings has made it onto my USB stick.

Also listened to and shadowed lesson 4 on the Jen Nia Mondo track.

luke
Diglot
United States
Joined 6991 days ago

3133 posts - 4351 votes 

Message 29 of 92
13 November 2012 at 12:39am | IP Logged 
I enjoyed the Pasaporto al la Tuta Mondo mp3s playing in the background today. It's really amazing how easy to understand the audio and the language is. By the way, I listened to 4 episodes.

Took Jen Nia Mondo to lesson 5. Started looking at the book a bit. Not doing the exercises in the book, but eyeballing the grammar and a few vocabulary items that escaped me. Also looked at http://images.google.com to see pictures of various flowers that are mentioned in lesson 5.

Edited by luke on 13 November 2012 at 1:29am

luke
Diglot
United States
Joined 6991 days ago

3133 posts - 4351 votes 

Message 30 of 92
15 November 2012 at 7:26pm | IP Logged 
I've listened now to the first 8 episodes of Pasaporto al la Tuta Mondo. That's much easier to do in the car, than at work where someone will overhear the recordings.

I also converted DVDs 3 and 4 (of 4) from youtube into mp3s. I'll want to split these up into single episodes before I really go at them. It seems best to watch the episodes first, as there are a lot of visual cues and that aids in comprehension whether watching or subsequently just listening.

Did a couple more lessons from Bildoj kaj Demandoj at http://lernu.net/. Those are very quick.

Most of my "study" time in Esperanto is listening to episodes of Jen Nia Mondo in the car and a bit of book reading during breaks at work. If every language was as easy to learn as Esperanto, we'd all be polyglots.

Edited by luke on 15 November 2012 at 7:29pm

2 persons have voted this message useful

luke
Diglot
United States
Joined 6991 days ago

3133 posts - 4351 votes 

Message 31 of 92
17 November 2012 at 11:43pm | IP Logged 
I looked around youtube a bit more and found another channel that has all 16 episodes split into 16 videos. The DVD length vidoes would work for jumping in 25-75% of the way depending on which of the 4 vids one wants to see in the approximately 2 hour longer video.

This morning I re-watched and listened to episode 1 with the transcript. I understood episode quite well without the transcript, but I was thinking about how to approach them again. I'd started with episode 9, but then decided to roll back to 1.

In the car today I listened to Jen Nia Mondo episode 8 and the dialogue from 7. I'm looking at the book for lesson 7 now too.

luke
Diglot
United States
Joined 6991 days ago

3133 posts - 4351 votes 

Message 32 of 92
19 November 2012 at 2:39am | IP Logged 
Today I re-watched episode 2 of Tuta Mondo and read along with the transcript. I used Audacity to pull the episode out from the intro and conclusion. The drama part of the lesson is about 20 minutes.

Read lesson 8 in JNM. Listened to John Wells introduction to why one might want to study Esperanto.

Edited by luke on 19 November 2012 at 2:47am

This discussion contains 92 messages over 12 pages: << Prev 1 2 35 6 7 8 9 10 11 12  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version