Diglot
United States
Joined 7013 days ago

3133 posts - 4351 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish
Studies: Esperanto, French

Message 49 of 130
28 June 2007 at 8:40pm | IP Logged 
Hoy fue el día dos con el método nuevo. Empezé en el carro con capítulo 82 de El Código DaVinci. Me sentí decepcionado con mi comprensión. Escuché CD 15. Entonces, para divertirme, repasé FSI unidad 21, sobre verbos irregulares en el pretérito. Cuando salí de la junta del trabajo y estaba volviendo a casa, repasé el resto de unidad 21. Después de eso, continué con El Código DaVinci CD 16 y de nuevo me sentí decepcionado con mi comprensión. Quiero decir que anoche, antes de dormir, pensé que mi comprensión de la televisión fue mejor que nunca. Creo que el método funciona, pero puede ser más fácil entender la tele que un audiolibro. Ahora estoy pensando en escuchar un audiolibro o algo así durante el viaje al trabajo, y no FSI. Es como Linguamor me ha dicho asi unos meses. Hay un sendero y hay que oírlo.

Cuando llegé a casa, estudié los mismos libros que anoche en la misma manera aunque por menos tiempo.

Anoche, aunque soñé unos bellos sueños, no dormí mucho. Voy a acostarme más temprano esta noche.

Edited by luke on 28 June 2007 at 8:43pm

1 person has voted this message useful

luke
Diglot
United States
Joined 7013 days ago

3133 posts - 4351 votes 

Message 50 of 130
30 June 2007 at 7:47pm | IP Logged 
Estudié más con los libros de ayer y anteayer. No estudié mucho. Eché la siesta.

En el primero noté unas palabras en los márgenes. El narrador habla despacio. A veces, demasiado despascio.

He aprendido no caminar mientras escucho y leo Don Quixote. Es más fácil seguir el hilo de la historia si me siento. Es lo más difícil de todos los que estudio.

NVI, ¿que puedo decir? Es lo mismo que antes.

Ángeles y Demonios es mi favorito de ellos ahora.

Escuché y leí un poco de una historia de Carlos Dickens, pero me parece demasiado infantil, no por su vocabulario, pero si por su estilo. De hecho, es una historia por niños.

Hize lo mismo un rato con La Casa en Mango Street. No es exactamente una novela. Es más una serie de esbozas cortas de la vida de una muchacha. No es malo para esta manera de estudiar.

reineke
United States
https://learnalangua
Joined 6255 days ago

851 posts - 1008 votes 
Studies: German

Message 51 of 130
30 June 2007 at 11:16pm | IP Logged 
Hi Luke

Sorry to disrupt the flow of Spanish here but I am intrigued by your progress. When did you start studying Spanish? How many hours do you think you've spent on it so far? On average, how many hours per day? Did you take any long breaks? Any things you wish you could go back and rub out? :)

Thanks!

luke
Diglot
United States
Joined 7013 days ago

3133 posts - 4351 votes 

Message 52 of 130
01 July 2007 at 7:29am | IP Logged 
reineke wrote:
Sorry to disrupt the flow of Spanish here but I am intrigued by your progress.

No problema. Digamos "progreso" cuando ha sido un mejorando en algo. Dudo que es así con mi español.
reineke wrote:
When did you start studying Spanish?

Empeze con trepidación en 2005. Dos o tres años más o   menos.   

reineke wrote:
How many hours do you think you've spent on it so far?

Demasiadas. Si podriá empesar de nuevo, espesaría con Esperanto.
reineke wrote:
On average, how many hours per day?

2 o 3 horas, más o menos. Ni siempre con diligencia ni eficacia.
reineke wrote:
Did you take any long breaks?

Desafortunadamente, no puedo culpar mi poco progreso con largas vacaciones de estudiar.
reineke wrote:
Any things you wish you could go back and rub out? :)

Initially my goal was rather vague, "learn Spanish". I didn't really realize that to get to a level of proficiency where I could be comfortable would take such a long time. I'm incredibly shy. I've met a few very nice hispanohablantes as well as a couple of incredibly rude hijos del chaos que andaban con pañales llenos. So, shyness has been a limiting factor. I'm always suprised and impressed with the true beginners I work with who can talk to the staff in the restaurant when they have extremely rudimentry skills y acentos gringísimos. I'm sure if I knew how bad my Spanish was, I'd be embarrased about my grammatical errors and nonsense in this thread.       

Although FSI has helped me a lot, and I attribute most of my conversational ability to that course, it really doesn't suit my style. Oddly, along with a high shyness factor, I also value relationships, harmony, etc. The mechanical drills aren't really about communication. I have done most of the FSI course in the car, and although that works, there's no time to look up a troubling point when on the road. When I get to work or home, I haven't generally thought, "Gosh, I have to get back to that FSI course because it's so fun", but rather, "They say that FSI will take you to a high level of proficiency, and that's what I want, so I better put my nose back on the grindstone.

Assimil Using Spanish, which has the worst dog sh*t translations I've ever seen, (pardon me, I've been waiting months to write that), has merited over two hundred hours of study. Anyone with half a brain would have abandoned that project when they realized the translators had faulty knowledge of English and less love for the course than it would have recieved in a bygone era. The 4 speakers on the audio have 4 different cadences. One incredibly fast, one sort of fast, and the other two recognizing that slowing things down just a bit will help the student get to shadowing speed 10 times faster than the fastest speaker permits.

So what would I do different?
0) Learn Esperanto first to discover how I learn a foreign language best.
1) Spend more time with the FSI book, and at the same time, limit the total FSI portion of my study a little more, since it doesn't suit my style.
2 ) Recognize poorly executed courses like Using Spanish and resist the fantasy temptation that some great polyglot used other courses by the same publisher and made incredible progress. Not ignore the fact that said polyglot lamented that the new courses from Assimil are not on par with those created 20-40 years ago.
3) Try not to spread myself so thin.
4) Plow through one of those boring workbooks. Classes are good for that.
5) When finding an interesting method, such as the audiobook approach, grab ahold of it with the fervor of a drowning rat.
6) Drop the baggage. I learnt French astonishingly well at the University in 1 year. I was way ahead of students who had studied it for 7 years in middle and high school and were in class with me at the U. I didn't realize it at the time, but the really good students probably took an AP test. Nonetheless, my TA loved my enthusiasm and she was beautiful and French was to be my gateway to love. In my third semester, I was talking to the professor outside of class and said some smart comment, "you just spend all your time on the hot chicks (which was true)". He layed into my French with all the fervor of the cruelest sadist from Paris. At that point, French died for me. I did enough to get through the course, which was a graduation requirement, but nothing more. A horrible waste and a horrible response on my part to that experience. I've brought that experience ahead into Spanish thinking that I have to say everything right, which is counter productive for a student. I.E. Learning French, I talked to myself constantly in French. I knew it wasn't always correct, but it would illuminate some areas in my self communication and I would study those like a madman. After the death of French, I've been cursed with a fear of saying things wrong and therefore only think in Spanish when it comes naturally. I've only forced myself to think in Spanish, say when I'm walking to work or something like that for a handful of hours. Really, thinking in the language was the key to my rapid progress in French, and I've not been doing it for fear I'd use the wrong verb tense or something.

What have I done right?
1) I haven't quit.
2) My accent is pretty good.
3) I really like the language.
4) I have high goals, which has prevented me from being satisfied with a more rudimentry capability.

Now after all that, perhaps you'll be so kind as to fill out your language profile, which I've been curious about many times.

Edited by luke on 02 July 2007 at 6:02pm

reineke
United States
Joined 6255 days ago

851 posts - 1008 votes 

Message 53 of 130
01 July 2007 at 12:12pm | IP Logged 
Gracias, luke.

luke
Diglot
United States
Joined 7013 days ago

3133 posts - 4351 votes 

Message 54 of 130
02 July 2007 at 5:33am | IP Logged 
¿Y todavía no hay perfil? Y iba a limitarme a unos pocos minutos en este foro por el verano de aniquilación total. Vivir y aprender. Ojala que mis experiencias sean útiles para que los demás no hagan los mismos errores. Voy a bajar de la cruza ahora.

Dormí bien anoche.

He estado continuando con el camino de los audiolibros.

En el carro, escucho hispanorama, un programa de Radio Exterior de España. Los episodios que tengo son un poco viejos, pero no es un problema. La unica nube que veo en el horizonte es que voy a tener que volver a llenar mi surtido lo más pronto posible, y no puedo encontrar una fuente buena de mp3s. Las páginas de web que puedo encontrar no hace fácil la acumulación de hispanorama episodios anteriores.   Voy a crear un nuevo CD de audio esta mañana.

Y tengo que hacer ejercicio esta mañana.

Edited by luke on 02 July 2007 at 6:03pm

reineke
United States
Joined 6255 days ago

851 posts - 1008 votes 

Message 55 of 130
02 July 2007 at 2:00pm | IP Logged 
lol, I'll put the darn thing up, estoy estudiando ahora. Ahem, how's your comprehension of Dish Latino going? What's the biggest obstacle? The content, speed or both?

Cheers

luke
Diglot
United States
Joined 7013 days ago

3133 posts - 4351 votes 

Message 56 of 130
02 July 2007 at 5:57pm | IP Logged 
reineke wrote:
lol, I'll put the darn thing up, estoy estudiando ahora. Ahem, how's your comprehension of Dish Latino going? What's the biggest obstacle? The content, speed or both?

Ah, gracias. No fue tan difícil, ¿no? Lo bueno para los demás sería si escribirías cómo, cuándo, y dónde has aprendido tantos idiomas. Especialmente cómo. Con tus experiencias con los otros lenguas, estoy seguro que vas a dominar el español muy pronto.

Mi comprensión de Dish Latino ha mejorado desde el principio del año. En ese entonces, "Discovery en Español" fue difícil entender. Ahora, aunque no siempre entiendo todo lo que dicen, es uno de los canales que me gustan mucho. Creo que con el método de los audiolibros, mi comprensión mejorará. El problema más grande con Dish Latino es que todavía no tengo un DVR. Así que no siempre puedo ver programas interesantes cuando quiero. Eres encantador de los artilugios y no vas a hacer el mismo error, ¿no?. La otra cosa es vocabulario. Es una problema más grande con la radio porque no hay señales visuales para augmentar la comprensión. Sería bueno si supiera las palabras que iban a utilizar, y así pudiera estudiar lo que iba a oír. Ya no he resuelto ese problema.

A propósito, voy a tratar de perdonar el profesor de frances. Ya es la hora. Si no me habías preguntado, todavía quedaría sujeto de ese veneno viejo y inútil.

Edited by luke on 02 July 2007 at 6:17pm

This discussion contains 130 messages over 17 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 68 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version