reineke
United States
https://learnalangua
Joined 6254 days ago

851 posts - 1008 votes 
Studies: German

Message 73 of 130
09 July 2007 at 12:41pm | IP Logged 
You've got some backbone and persistence, but at this point I think it was working against you. I think you've beaten FSI to death. I've just listened to a few lessons. The sound is appalling! Have some fun with your new language. Don't think for an instant that if you spend two hours on a nice movie that you haven't been learning. TV, audiobooks etc. will expose you to new things constantly and your BRAIN WILL HAVE TO PAY MORE ATTENTION. Caps were not on purpose but I think they work well here as the point I was trying to make is that with FSI your brain learned to lazy around as it kinda knew what was coming. It felt like it was being forcefed a nasty gruel. I base this conclusion only on personal experience. One way of learning, that is the most pleasant of all, is getting so engrossed in the content that you forget it's in Spanish, Italian or whatever, you forget what time it is, and you just enjoy yourself. This type of learning seeps in slow but deep. When it takes root, they'll need to lobotomize you to get it out. When you're done for the day, you don't feel as tired as you would if you had plodded through a course. After a while, your "lessons" become relaxation from the hard day at work and you're looking forward to them. Don't feel guilty if you're having fun. That should be your chief reason for studying a language in the first place.

Cheers.

Edited by reineke on 09 July 2007 at 12:44pm

1 person has voted this message useful

luke
Diglot
United States
Joined 7012 days ago

3133 posts - 4351 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish
Studies: Esperanto, French

Message 74 of 130
09 July 2007 at 9:48pm | IP Logged 
reineke wrote:
Have some fun with your new language. Don't think for an instant that if you spend two hours on a nice movie that you haven't been learning. TV, audiobooks etc. will expose you to new things constantly and your BRAIN WILL HAVE TO PAY MORE ATTENTION. Caps were not on purpose but I think they work well here as the point I was trying to make is that with FSI your brain learned to lazy around as it kinda knew what was coming. It felt like it was being forcefed a nasty gruel. I base this conclusion only on personal experience. One way of learning, that is the most pleasant of all, is getting so engrossed in the content that you forget it's in Spanish, Italian or whatever, you forget what time it is, and you just enjoy yourself. This type of learning seeps in slow but deep. When it takes root, they'll need to lobotomize you to get it out. When you're done for the day, you don't feel as tired as you would if you had plodded through a course. After a while, your "lessons" become relaxation from the hard day at work and you're looking forward to them. Don't feel guilty if you're having fun. That should be your chief reason for studying a language in the first place.

¡Creo que "reineke" debe querer decir "sabio" en algún idioma! Parece que he tenido una experiencia espirtual por conseguir tus consejos.
Me siento feliz y tranquilo.

Cambiando de tema, tengo una pregunta. Hay muchos sustantivos que terminan con "ción" que tienen un "ar" verbo similar:
el informar ... la información
el tentar ... la tentanción
el asimilar ... la asimilación
el eliminar ... la eliminación

¿Hay alguna diferencía entre "el eliminar", y "la eliminación"? Por ejemplo, ¿estas dos oraciones quieren decir la misma cosa?

El eliminar del trabajo infantil es posible en nuestra época.
La eliminación del trabajo infantil es posible en nuestra época.

¿Tienen un matiz diferente?

Edited by luke on 09 July 2007 at 10:01pm

reineke
United States
https://learnalangua
Joined 6254 days ago

851 posts - 1008 votes 
Studies: German

Message 75 of 130
10 July 2007 at 9:44am | IP Logged 
Thank you, I think :) I hope the question was not for me since you know that I'm an absolute beginner in Spanish. In Italian infinitive used as a noun denotes an action or a process in a neutral, indeterminate and abstract sense while its verbal noun counterpart does not. They necessarily have a different shade of meaning.

el informar I suspect could be most often translated with the English -ing or an infinitive
while informacion is translated as just plain information

You could define the second with the first but this does not explain the shades of meaning as el informar has a different scope. El informar preserves the force of action, it's fluid while informacion is stable and expresses a continuous quality of a thing. Gosh, sorry for complicating.

These pairs can have additional, rather different meanings but these should be easy to spot.
EL MOVER MOVIMIENTO
It doesn't matter if it's not in -acion.

You could also have a word without a corresponding counterpart.

I wouldn't think too hard about it. The whole point about exposure to living language is not having to think about it.

I would venture to say that in your last example the second sentence rings better although you might argue that you're talking about the process of eliminating child labor in the abstract sense of the word. In real life you'd care more about the simple result. Or something like that. In any case I'd use the second or construct a sentence with posible eliminar and similar. However, it's all a guess since I don't speak Spanish.

Bleh! :)

Edited by reineke on 10 July 2007 at 6:32pm

zigzag
Diglot
Groupie
Germany
Joined 6370 days ago

50 posts - 52 votes 
Speaks: German*, English
Studies: Spanish

Message 76 of 130
11 July 2007 at 8:45am | IP Logged 
Luke, I just saw in your profile that one reason for learning Spanish was that a book you wrote was translated into Spanish. What kind of book was it? (I assume that you can't tell which it is to keep your name secret).

luke
Diglot
United States
Joined 7012 days ago

3133 posts - 4351 votes 

Message 77 of 130
11 July 2007 at 8:38pm | IP Logged 
reineke wrote:
I hope the question was not for me since you know that I'm an absolute beginner in Spanish. In Italian infinitive used as a noun denotes an action or a process in a neutral, indeterminate and abstract sense while its verbal noun counterpart does not. They necessarily have a different shade of meaning. :)

¡Qué bonito! Has podido crear una explicación bien comprensible. Y, yo estaba pensando que unos de los nativos iba a responder a esa pregunta. Realmente, me has ayudado tanto en estos últimos días. No por aprender las detalles del idioma, pero más en una manera de vivir y tomar lo que venga. Eres una joya del foro. Mil gracias.

luke
Diglot
United States
Joined 7012 days ago

3133 posts - 4351 votes 

Message 78 of 130
11 July 2007 at 8:53pm | IP Logged 
zigzag wrote:
I just saw in your profile that one reason for learning Spanish was that a book you wrote was translated into Spanish. What kind of book was it?

No he escrito un libro hombre. Quise decir que tenía unos libros en inglés y también en español, y quería gozarlos en español. He corregido ese error en mi perfíl.

Esta semana he estado escuchando Rico Papá, Pobre Papá, Le Petit Prince (ouí, francés), un poco sobre la metafísica, la biblia, Don Quijote, Crímenes de Rue Morgue. He estado tratando de gozar el idioma más, y por eso, no me he torturado con FSI. Miré episodios 2 y 3 de French in Action, y las primeras dos lecciones de New French with Ease. Me sorprendí que me levanté esta mañana pensando en el idioma francés. Mi nuevo lema es "tómale con calma". Funciona, realmente funciona.

Edited by luke on 12 July 2007 at 3:28am

236factorial
Triglot
United States
Joined 6347 days ago

192 posts - 213 votes 
Speaks: Mandarin, English*, French
Studies: Spanish

Message 79 of 130
13 July 2007 at 4:05pm | IP Logged 
luke wrote:
Cambiando de tema, tengo una pregunta. Hay muchos sustantivos que terminan con "ción" que tienen un "ar" verbo similar:
el informar ... la información
el tentar ... la tentanción
el asimilar ... la asimilación
el eliminar ... la eliminación

¿Hay alguna diferencía entre "el eliminar", y "la eliminación"? Por ejemplo, ¿estas dos oraciones quieren decir la misma cosa?

El eliminar del trabajo infantil es posible en nuestra época.
La eliminación del trabajo infantil es posible en nuestra época.

¿Tienen un matiz diferente?

Como dijo reineke, creo que hay poca diferencia entre el infinitivo y la forma "-ción".

En su ejemplo,
"el eliminar..." significa la idea de eliminar.

y "la eliminación..." significaría la acción de eliminar cualquiera cosa.

Como no hablo español, es mejor que le pregunte a otra persona para estar seguro.
2 persons have voted this message useful

luke
Diglot
United States
Joined 7012 days ago

3133 posts - 4351 votes 

Message 80 of 130
13 July 2007 at 4:59pm | IP Logged 
236factorial wrote:
En su ejemplo,
"el eliminar..." significa la idea de eliminar.

y "la eliminación..." significaría la acción de eliminar cualquiera cosa.

He oído los dos en la misma emición de RTVE. El orador dijo, "El eliminar ...", y el periodista dijo en resumen, "La eliminación ...". Claro que son similares, el matiz es lo que realmente me interesa.

Edited by luke on 13 July 2007 at 5:28pm

This discussion contains 130 messages over 17 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version