China
Joined 4739 days ago

869 posts - 1364 votes 
Speaks: Spanish*, English*, German, Italian, French, Portuguese, Mandarin
Studies: Korean

Message 49 of 230
19 May 2013 at 8:01am | IP Logged 
Ling and Jasoninchina,

Thank you very much for your posts. They mean a lot to me, such unexpected words of
support and encouragement are an instant motivator to double the effort. Ling, I will
look at that phrase more closely soon. At first read I can't find the pun, but I
haven't had a lot of time of late to relax. Jasoninchina your suggestions are
outstanding, in particular the Chinese Breeze seems an amazing resource. I will now
take a look at it on Amazon.

- - - - - - - -

Weekly Progress Entry 9

Into the third month now... and it was a forgettable start for my language studies. The
good news is, I managed to hold on to my Chinese, and keep to schedule (except the
characters where I have fallen a couple of days behind, more in a second). In other
words, I did what I expected to do and now I am fully into Unit 4, about done with
lesson 1 and starting lesson 2.

The bad news has really nothing to do with this log, but my French and German studies
and speaking went disastrously. I had a very sub-par outing when I had my French weekly
meeting, I just could not get into the conversation much, and the German meeting was
cancelled last second altogether by the tutor. Furthermore, I didn't listen to much in
the languages and read even less. I didn't even review as much as I normally do.
Honestly, it was a combination of me going out into town a couple of days (I had some
extra money for the first time in a while), and the fact my brain just seemed to refuse
to want to think. I think I was burned out, after quite a few weeks of 6+ hour studies
every day, in two languages a day (Chinese + French/German). It's happened before a few
times so I'm not too surprised, and while I get a bit upset about it, I also just let
it be, and take a breather. I am feeling "better" now and I think my brain is now more
refreshed to continue. I had a great study session with Chinese and French today, so I
hope this is the start of a new positive cycle.

I will be brief on this WPE, my Chinese is advancing slowly. Some days I feel more is
sinking in, and others I revert back. But this didn't happen before now. Before every
day was a bit of a struggle, now I have what I see as "semi-fluid" days with the
languages, and other days it goes back to being a struggle. Based on past experience
with three languages auto-didact, I know this is actually a good sign.

Still learning about Chinese expressions with numbers. There are some significant
conceptual differences presented in the newest lessons, about how the Chinese express
time and events. From word order before or after the verb and what this means about a
time phrase, to how the Chinese say "THIS evening/morning" (not with "this"!), to how
the language is more precise about things like last month, this month, next month, and
when to use specifiers, when not to use them, and when NEVER to use them (with "day" or
"year"), it all needs to be learned thoroughly in order to speak in a comprehensible
manner. This takes time since it is a bit different from Western Languages. Not
entirely so (Chinese like German has a "When? / Where?" order), but it does need to be
practiced.

No important grammar was really touched upon last week, except the "shi... de"
construction for a past occurrence.

The characters... as I said I fell behind a couple of days, this was the one area my
mental 'malaise' this week caught up with my chinese. But I finished a day ago with the
latest 100 batch, and I am north of 500 Hanzi now. I am now doing a review of all
characters learned so far. Just a review, not an exhaustive one, as I do want to move
on fairly quickly to the next 500... I don't want to lose the momentum. I can review
learned characters all I want after I reach my goal of 1,000 unique Hanzi, both with
flashcards and by being able to read some basic text later on this year.

This week I hope to finish Unit 4 by the end of next weekend. I want to reach 600 Hanzi
by the 31st of May (sounds like a good round date. I am giving myself a little more
time than before to account for the review of old characters throughout the period.

Till the next WPE on 5.24.13!

1 person has voted this message useful

outcast
Bilingual Heptaglot
China
Joined 4739 days ago

869 posts - 1364 votes 

Message 50 of 230
19 May 2013 at 9:07am | IP Logged 
Special entry 6

Hanzi learned @ 5.17.2013 = 500

401-500

论 論 (S / T)

万 萬 (S / T)
苹 蘋 (S / T)

只 祗 隻 (S / T1 / T2)

轻 輕 (S / T)

亲 親 (S / T)
产 產 (S / T)

观 觀 (S/ T)

础 礎 (S / T)

干 幹 乾 (S / T1 / T2)

乐 樂 (S / T)

单 單 (S / T)

给 給 (S / T)

满 滿 (S / T)

辆 輛 (S / T)
细 細 (S / T)

视 視 (S / T)

才 纔 (S / T)
错 錯 (S / T)

爱 愛 (S / T)

话 話 (S / T)
觉 覺 (S / T)

Edit: cleaned the list up. I had several characters missing, one doubled, and others
missing the traditional version. I made the list at 3am and half asleep, thus the many
mental lapses. The list is perfect now.

Edited by outcast on 02 June 2013 at 6:50pm

outcast
Bilingual Heptaglot
China
Joined 4739 days ago

869 posts - 1364 votes 

Message 51 of 230
20 May 2013 at 8:35pm | IP Logged 
Unit Completion Entry 13

Unit 4 Lesson 1 Basic Spoken Chinese

outcast
Bilingual Heptaglot
China
Joined 4739 days ago

869 posts - 1364 votes 

Message 52 of 230
25 May 2013 at 6:10am | IP Logged 
Weekly Progress Entry 10

I am finishing up Unit 4 at the current time. Pretty much done with Lesson 2 and
probably with lesson 3 tomorrow. The reason for being done so quickly with Lesson 3 is
because I studied the grammar and vocabulary well, as I didn't have the time to sit
down and do the drills. All I need to do now is that and I will be done. Hopefully
tomorrow.

I am definitely more comfortable with numbers now, at least between 1-100. I still get
tripped up sometimes, and hearing numbers said at full speed is still a bit
challenging, but I know it will get better. The grammar remains quite understandable,
and because the unit is so heavy in explaining expressions with numbers, there is not a
ton of material in this area.

I have been reviewing the characters, I remember most of the ones I have learned. I
think the key is to do a review periodically, not let them slip away. With every review   
they get more fixed in. I have learned only about 20 new characters the past 5-6 days
because of the review, starting sunday I will get on with the remaining 80 to finish up
to 600 by May 31st.

I hope to do that and start Unit 5 early next week... That means that I close to taking
out the Pimsleur Chinese that is in the local library. I have never used Pimsleur and
don't know how much of it I should do a day. I also know some people love Pimsleur and
others not so much. I think since it's free it can't hurt, and it will expose me to
other "voices" of people in Chinese, and most likely to other ways of saying things I
have learned (it always happens that different courses have different phrases for
things).

I can't believe I will be in Unit 5 this next week... half way through Basic Spoken
Chinese!

Till the next WPE on 5.31.13!

outcast
Bilingual Heptaglot
China
Joined 4739 days ago

869 posts - 1364 votes 

Message 53 of 230
25 May 2013 at 6:14am | IP Logged 
Unit Completion Entry 14

Unit 4 Lesson 2 Basic Spoken Chinese

Edited by outcast on 29 May 2013 at 6:07am

Flarioca
Heptaglot
Brazil
Joined 5672 days ago

635 posts - 816 votes 
Speaks: Portuguese*, Esperanto, French, EnglishC2, Spanish, German, Italian
Studies: Catalan, Mandarin

Message 54 of 230
25 May 2013 at 5:11pm | IP Logged 
outcast wrote:
That means that I close to taking out the Pimsleur Chinese that is in the local library. I have never used Pimsleur and don't know how much of it I should do a day. I also know some people love Pimsleur and others not so much. I think since it's free it can't hurt, and it will expose me to other "voices" of people in Chinese, and most likely to other ways of saying things I have learned (it always happens that different courses have different phrases for things).

I've done Pimsleur Mandarin I and 1/2 of volume II. I've also done many other Pimsleur courses (namely, Russian I e II, Arabic I, some Hungarian and Romanian lessons), I don't hate it and would certainly do it if I still had a 30 minutes commute time.

About the Mandarin one, it has been almost 10 years ago, but I'm quite sure that you'll go through it very easily. I believe that you'll find it very easy to do, at least, one lesson each day. It'd be even better if you go back and forth to work/school/university by train or metro.
2 persons have voted this message useful

outcast
Bilingual Heptaglot
China
Joined 4739 days ago

869 posts - 1364 votes 

Message 55 of 230
29 May 2013 at 6:07am | IP Logged 
Thanks Flarioca for the info.

- - - - - - -

Unit Completion Entry 15

Unit 4 Lesson 3 Basic Spoken Chinese

outcast
Bilingual Heptaglot
China
Joined 4739 days ago

869 posts - 1364 votes 

Message 56 of 230
01 June 2013 at 4:07pm | IP Logged 
Unit Completion Entry 16

Unit 4 Lesson 4 Basic Spoken Chinese

This discussion contains 230 messages over 29 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 68 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version