869 posts - 1364 votes 
Speaks: Spanish*, English*, German, Italian, French, Portuguese, Mandarin
Studies: Korean

Message 185 of 230
20 April 2015 at 5:03pm | IP Logged 
Unit Completion Entry 72

Unit 11 Lesson 4 Intermediate Spoken Chinese

- - - -

I will now review lessons 4 and 5 of Basic Spoken Chinese before doing Unit 12 ISC. This should take me 6-7 days of study.

My memory recall in Chinese in improving, that is I can remember longer sentences better from the start, and pick up specific information quicker. Still ways to go though and as soon as two or three unfamiliar words come into play I lose most of the pattern. So still a rookie, albeit not so green anymore.
1 person has voted this message useful

outcast
Bilingual Heptaglot
China
Joined 4750 days ago

869 posts - 1364 votes 

Message 186 of 230
20 April 2015 at 5:11pm | IP Logged 
In a role play exercise, where you have to translate a given sentence into Chinese as part of a dialogue to recite, I was given this English sentence:

"You Mandarin is pretty good, I haven't heard a foreigner speak such good Chinese for a long time!"

This sentence stomped me. obviously a bit of a long one. This is what I came up with:

你的汉语不错啊,我好久没听了这么很好的外 国人汉语。

I'm sure the part about the "such good Chinese from a foreigner" is an awkward or even incorrect phrase. If a native or anyone quite advanced in Chinese reads this, I would like to know how to better formulate that sentence. Thank you.

Edited by outcast on 20 April 2015 at 5:12pm

2 persons have voted this message useful

outcast
Bilingual Heptaglot
China
Joined 4750 days ago

869 posts - 1364 votes 

Message 187 of 230
05 May 2015 at 11:26pm | IP Logged 
(after a disastrous last 10 days in every possible way, I have begun to catch up... I will not massive sudden problems that surface, including my computer magically ceasing to function, derail me this time!! )

Unit Completion Entry 73

Cycle Three (Lessons 27-50)

Book 3 Lesson 29 New Practical Chinese Reader

outcast
Bilingual Heptaglot
China
Joined 4750 days ago

869 posts - 1364 votes 

Message 188 of 230
05 May 2015 at 11:44pm | IP Logged 
So last week I had to fill a very lengthy application for a scholarship to study in China. It was almost as bad as giving birth (since I'm not a woman, I won't say it was just as bad).

I needed to find my high school diploma, could not find it. I had to turn my bedroom upside down to find it, lost an entire day just on that.

I needed a valid passport just to fill the application, and I was not told of this until last week, even though I asked MANY times in the last few months to the people responsible for the scholarships. So I had only 7 days to get one. Nice job, #*$&@%!
I had to go to a special passport office, sit there for three hours to get attended, then wait 3 hours until passports were ready, and then still wait a solid a hour and half to get called to pick up. Lost another day.

I needed letters of validation and recommendation, had to make phone calls, blah blah. More time.

Had to print an enrollment form, they tell me it has to be a certain format, so I fight with those responsible for the forms because mine is not how they requested. After losing almost a day on that, I find it the form is CORRECT, they had just misinformed me. #*$&@%!

Then when I finally had all gathered up, filling the application itself was torture. Took 3 hours since even the director did not seem to be too familiar with it. Plus the system was quite inconvenient. Anyway after fighting with it and needing to gather other information (from China), I finally got it through.

Last Wednesday (Black Wednesday) I find out my driving license was "suspended". Why, who knows. Had to lose another day on that to clear it up. Then I find out my insurance was improperly canceled, thus leading to the licence suspension. More time lost.That same day, my parents suddenly get into a big problem with a bank, so I have to help them. Serious stuff, I won't go into detail but that is still ongoing and obviously taking time from my schedule. Finally, my computer crashed. Hard drive is gone. I have had no computer since then so I can't do my tutoring classes on Skype or any other work. I got a new hard drive but I don't have an operating system. I have asked everyone I know (many who over time always claimed to have copies of Windows). Now suddenly no one has any. I refuse to spend 100 dollars on a program I bought 12 months ago with my new computer.

I still have a couple of other issues as well. Anyway, pure hell.

THe only good news is my application is now through, and I got my HSK results:

HSKK Junior level (oral): 73 of 100 (its OK, nothing great)
HSK Level 2 (listening and reading): 191 of 200 (obviously great score)
HSK Level 3 (listening, reading, and writing): 267 of 300 (very good also)

I have some free days now so I am just studying all day to catch up. Doing Lesson 30 today of NPCR 3, tomorrow Lesson 31, and start 32, Thursday finish 32, start 33. That should catch me up.

In the weekend I have to do Unit 12 Intermediate Spoken Chinese, and review Units 6 and 7 BSC.

With all that said, I have no time to lose, back to the books. Finishing Lesson 30 in the next two hours.

- - - -

Unit Completion Entry 74

Book 3 Lesson 30 New Practical Chinese Reader

outcast
Bilingual Heptaglot
China
Joined 4750 days ago

869 posts - 1364 votes 

Message 189 of 230
05 May 2015 at 11:49pm | IP Logged 
The one thing I did do during the last week was at least learn the vocabulary of the lessons I am now actually studying. That now saves me plenty of time since I am now familiar with the words from lessons 30, 31, and 32, even if I didn't formally do the lessons yet. So not all was a loss.

outcast
Bilingual Heptaglot
China
Joined 4750 days ago

869 posts - 1364 votes 

Message 190 of 230
06 May 2015 at 7:08pm | IP Logged 
Unit Completion Entry 75

Book 3 Lesson 31 New Practical Chinese Reader

outcast
Bilingual Heptaglot
China
Joined 4750 days ago

869 posts - 1364 votes 

Message 191 of 230
10 May 2015 at 5:28am | IP Logged 
Unit Completion Entry 76

Book 3 Lesson 32 New Practical Chinese Reader

outcast
Bilingual Heptaglot
China
Joined 4750 days ago

869 posts - 1364 votes 

Message 192 of 230
17 May 2015 at 6:44pm | IP Logged 
Unit Completion Entry 77

Unit 12 Lesson 1 Intermediate Spoken Chinese

Edited by outcast on 17 May 2015 at 6:45pm

This discussion contains 230 messages over 29 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version