China
Joined 4738 days ago

869 posts - 1364 votes 
Speaks: Spanish*, English*, German, Italian, French, Portuguese, Mandarin
Studies: Korean

Message 43 of 230
07 May 2013 at 6:01am | IP Logged 
Major Milestone 1

I exchanged "pleasantries" with a Chinese gentlemen for the first time today! He spoke
imperfect thought smooth English, and the exchange was held in English. However, the
pleasantries were in Chinese ("I study Chinese, You are welcome, take care of yourself,
good-bye"), as were a few mentions of cardinal numbers.

No where near a spontaneous conversation yet. Exiting nonetheless.
1 person has voted this message useful

outcast
Bilingual Heptaglot
China
Joined 4738 days ago

869 posts - 1364 votes 

Message 44 of 230
10 May 2013 at 3:08pm | IP Logged 
Unit Completion Entry 11

Unit 3 Lesson 3 Basic Spoken Chinese

outcast
Bilingual Heptaglot
China
Joined 4738 days ago

869 posts - 1364 votes 

Message 45 of 230
12 May 2013 at 5:31pm | IP Logged 
Was out of town, so a day or so late but here it goes...

Weekly Progress Entry 8

This has been a strange week... it seems it lasted for ever yet I had so much to do and
in fact did. But it seems like a million things happened and that it has been two or
three weeks since my last update.

In general, I'm just keeping on the pace I have been. I have this week for the first
time exchanged some pleasantries with Chinese people, very very simple memorized
phrases, no spontaneous sentences. Still a bit off from that although I could create
some if I wanted to, but my vocab and grammar knowledge is still so limited that only
very precise and specific situations would allow me to do so, and that has not
happened.

The grammar has thrown its first twist at me, not because I don't understand it on the
contrary it is elegant and simple, yet it is hard to think that way (I know eventually
it gets better): using 的 in longer adjectival phrases.

As learners of the language may now, "de5" (neutral tone) is among many things a
possessive marker, somewhat like English apostrophe "'s". So you would say
"wo3de5 bei1zi5 ("my cup"), "Zhao4 Li3de5 gong1zuo4 (Zhao Li's work/job).
Both are basically identical structures to English. But Chinese makes what I feel is a
more "elegant" usage of this concept and expands it to many adjectival clauses, which
in English would have to be forcibly relative clauses:

- The train (that departs tomorrow morning at 6 am)

In Chinese it would be literally: "The (leaves tomorrow morning at 6am) that train".

You basically attatch the particle "de5" at the end of that adjective/relative clause
in parenthesis LITERALLY: "(leaves tomorrow morning at 6am)DE train" (in that order
too: Chinese like German orders time from general to more specific)

As I said, I find it very elegant that the language combines the possessive marking
ownership with the possessive marking descriptive attributes. It would be like if in
English we said "the at the mall working the night shift as security's guy",
where the apostrophe indicates that the noun of the sentence ("guy") "owns" those
properties. It will just take some time into thinking like that when trying to speak,
as none of the languages that I have learned have something similar. German can at
times put long attributive phrases in front of a noun, but mainly in writing and in
speech this is rarely done at all.

Vocabulary is going ok, remembering most of it. Characters are in a cruise control, not
learning any faster nor any slower. I should be at 472 characters by the end of today,
giving me about 3-4 days to learn 28 characters, about 7-9 a day which is totally
doable. Mid week I should hit 500.

I will hold to my promise to not learn any further characters in isolation after the
1000 most common ones from frequency lists + their simp/trad versions + any other
outlier characters presented in the books I am using to learn Hanzi. After those I will
only learn characters through new vocabulary and only if the vocabulary I learn that
day happens to use characters I already now, I may supplement my diet of new ones with
3-4 new characters in isolation.

I am pretty much done with unit 3, which had tons of information about numbers, time,
currency, and was very involved in the details about how Chinese language and culture
says such things like prices, hours, age, etc... so it was and remains a challenge to
remember all the subtleties and differences. Plus it had its normal load of grammar
too. So I would not be upset if I review it all a couple of days before moving on to
Unit 4, which is more numbers. I should start this unit early this coming week.

I will be on the far side of 500 characters learned heading towards 600 by next
weekend. I have to maximize my eagerness to learn characters before the "novelty"
factor wears off, which has not much thus far. So I will just plough ahead consequences
be damned.

Till the next WPR on 5.17.13!

Edited by outcast on 12 May 2013 at 5:34pm

ling
Diglot
Groupie
Taiwan
Joined 4375 days ago

61 posts - 94 votes 
Speaks: English*, Mandarin
Studies: Indonesian, Thai

Message 46 of 230
12 May 2013 at 8:11pm | IP Logged 
outcast wrote:
I see a section with the characters 晚 ,間 , 星 ... "night/late"
"between" "star" ... seems it roughly would translate into English as "evening
entertainment" news (there was another character that I think means "news", I just
haven't learned it).

A couple of other things like 時期 I could at least formulate a POSSIBLE meaning
(period of time ??), etc.

I saw “從1998年到2000年” ... I recognized the character for "dao4" meaning "to", and
just yesterday I learned "cong2" meaning "from". So upon seeing this it was immediately
evident that Mandarin Chinese uses the same prepositions in this instance as English or
Spanish does (though many categorize prepositions as verbs in Chinese).

I'm a native English speaker, but Mandarin is my language of secondary competence. I'll
just butt in now to say that your insight serves you very well indeed in all of the
above!

Just so you know, "晚間星聞" involves a pun. (Challenge: see if you can figure out what
it is!)

Keep it up!! 加油!

Edited by ling on 12 May 2013 at 8:12pm

2 persons have voted this message useful

outcast
Bilingual Heptaglot
China
Joined 4738 days ago

869 posts - 1364 votes 

Message 47 of 230
17 May 2013 at 4:43pm | IP Logged 
Unit Completion Entry 12

Unit 3 Lesson 4 Basic Spoken Chinese

(for some reason, the website was down a couple of days ago when I wanted to post this
entry)

Note: I spend a couple of extra days on the exercises for this lesson. For some reason,
getting numbers right is one of the hardest things for me in a language. What I mean is
not only counting linearly but manipulating numbers, skip counting, adding or
subtracting, or saying long numbers. It's happened in all the languages I have been
learning even close ones like Portuguese. I don't know why numbers trip me so much. The
drills and transformation exercises in this unit had quite a few of these sort of
exercises, which is good, but it took me quite a while.

To think of numbers while at the same time tones, pronunciation, grammar, and the
vocabulary (which of course does not come automatically like in your native language),
plus remembering what the sentence said word for word (tough enough in our mother
language), made the exercises very challenging. After several practice sessions I
reached a level of comfort to move on.

Edited by outcast on 17 May 2013 at 4:43pm

jasoninchina
China
Joined 5020 days ago

221 posts - 306 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Mandarin, Italian

Message 48 of 230
18 May 2013 at 1:40pm | IP Logged 
You've been going strong for two months now. Great job!

I've been learning Mandarin for a while now, so just thought I'd drop in and make some suggestions.

1. podcasts. I like cslpod because they give their dialogues away for free. There's no audio, but the material is very natural. Often what we find in textbooks is very stale, so this is nice.

2. Anki. Maybe you're already using this or something like it, but I mention it because it's so great.

3. Chinese Breeze 汉语风 graded readers. I'd take them over NPCR any day.

I also noticed your list on the first page about levels. I think you're underestimated what you can accomplish. If you keep at it as you have been, you can easily reach B1 by next summer. Keep up the good work!

2 persons have voted this message useful

This discussion contains 230 messages over 29 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 57 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version