Joined 4739 days ago

869 posts - 1364 votes 
Speaks: Spanish*, English*, German, Italian, French, Portuguese, Mandarin
Studies: Korean

Message 17 of 230
04 April 2013 at 7:24pm | IP Logged 
Special entry 1

Hanzi learned @ 4.4.2013 = 100

Ok, so a special post about the learning Hanzi process is in order.

As I mentioned above, my "goal" is to learn 4,000 unique Hanzi, and their
simplified/traditional equivalents. This means that in the end we are talking about
5,000+ characters. This is a monumental undertaking which will take several years. But
because it will take several years and I'm fully understanding of that, then it becomes
a challenging but doable goal.

My plan is to post here an entry every time I "learn" 100 characters to my
satisfaction. However, this is a fluid definition and this is what I mean:

Learning Hanzi involves several tasks one must achieve to have genuine command of the
written language. In a general sense, I have divided them into two parts:

1. Recognizing the characters
2. Recalling the characters.

The first part is not so difficult: you see the character, learn the pronunciation, and
then learn the major meanings of the character. With enough repetition and exposure,
this stores in long-term memory.

The second is not as easy at all. To "recall" a character is like active vocabulary in
language: it is much easier to build a passive vocabulary, but much more effort is
involved to bring that passive knowledge to the forefront. Recalling the characters
from memory is exactly that.

This is where, I believe, learning how to write the characters is a MAJOR aid.

Thus, I have decided to learn how to write the top 1000 characters in frequency, both
in traditional and simplified, plus any other characters taught in the courses I am
studying writing with, or plan to study writing with. This may yield nearly 2,000
characters I will learn to write.

Why do I believe learning to write straight away is beneficial for my personal
situation? I have thought about it, and there are several reasons:

1. As mentioned above, learning how to write the characters builds another pathway to
memory storage. I also believe having to learn the strokes facilitates active recall of
the character. In essence, while it is a lot more work at the onset to both learn and
write Hanzi, I trully believe in the end it will SHORTEN my learning curve.

2. It also helps to understand how Chinese writing is built. When you practice writing,
very quickly you begin to notice the radicals and other patterns, which may not be so
readily obvious if you just stare and memorize. This makes it easier to learn new
characters.

3. In the long term, it will make it it more enjoyable to learn. I have the feeling
that if I learned to read Hanzi to a decent level, but had not learned how to write
them, to have to "go back" and start to learn how to write from scratch 一 、 二 、 三 、
四 。。。 would be a bit of a bummer at least, at worst, I may not want to do it at all
since my level of Chinese reading, grammar, and vocabulary would have far outpaced my
writing skills.

Some of you may wonder why I said "I am learning to write the top 1,000 characters",
but my goal is to learn 4,000 Hanzi. Quite simple really: all frequency lists indicate
that the top 1,000 characters are the ones used in at least 90% of texts, some go as
high as 95%. This means in effect that if I have good skills in writing those
characters, I can pretty much write Chinese with some basic fluency. Learning how to
write each character beyond that before learning the next character would slow my
acquisition of low-frequency characters needed to have some fluency in reading general
novels, newspapers, and web-content.

What about all the other characters you may ask?

Well, very long term I would learn to write those too. But in the meantime, if I had to
write a new character, I'm pretty confident that I could "muddle through" given the
practice I would have built. As it is now, I have a quickly developing intuition of
"stroke order" and the other basic tenets of how to write a character. So I would just
do the best I can to write the new character, and take my time doing so. But beyond
those 1,000 characters, my focus will shift on recognizing the other 3,000 (instead of
the 50-50% learning/writing for the first 1,000) and slowly work my way in learning how
to write them, undoubtedly a very long-term endeavor.

I think I have covered most of my thoughts on this. If anyone who has gone through this
process vehemently disagrees with any of my thoughts, please by all means let me know.
The experience of people who have been on this road already certainly is very welcome.

Now, I will list the Hanzi I have learned in this first 100 batch. To list them here
provides another place to have the information saved, plus it doubles-up as extra
practice while I do it.

1-100:

请 請 (S / T)
问 問 (S / T)
贵 貴 (S / T)

么 麼 (S / T)

学 學 (S / T)

课 課(S / T)

师 師 (S / T)

们 們 (S / T)

谢 謝 (S / T)

见 見 (S / T)

国 國 (S / T)
吗 嗎 (S / T)

谁 誰 (S / T)

妈 媽 (S / T)

这 這 (S / T)
儿 兒 (S / T)

没 沒 (S / T)

两 兩 (S / T)
个 個 (S / T)

时 時 (S / T)

Edited by outcast on 04 April 2013 at 9:59pm

3 persons have voted this message useful

proudft
United States
Joined 4943 days ago

124 posts - 156 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Mandarin

Message 18 of 230
06 April 2013 at 8:36am | IP Logged 
I think the writing is important. I still do it most of the time, at character 2300+.
If I'm short on time, I will do reviews mentally, where I close my eyes and picture the
character being put together from the radicals, but I never would have been able to do
that had I not been writing them before, and really try not to do that more than a couple
of days in a row. It's actually oddly not that much faster for me - maybe 125% the speed
of writing them. But my writing is pretty messy. :)
1 person has voted this message useful

outcast
Bilingual Heptaglot
China
Joined 4739 days ago

869 posts - 1364 votes 

Message 19 of 230
07 April 2013 at 8:55pm | IP Logged 
Thanks proudft.

What would be something to watch for as I start getting higher in the character count,
that your experience would say?

outcast
Bilingual Heptaglot
China
Joined 4739 days ago

869 posts - 1364 votes 

Message 20 of 230
07 April 2013 at 9:23pm | IP Logged 
Unit Completion Entry 4

Unit 1 Lesson 4 Basic Spoken Chinese

Edited by outcast on 04 May 2013 at 4:00pm

proudft
United States
Joined 4943 days ago

124 posts - 156 votes 
Speaks: English*

Message 21 of 230
08 April 2013 at 9:42am | IP Logged 
Oh, just be consistent, really. It's a lot of characters and it takes a while, but it does get easier and faster over time. Like any giant task, doing a little every day will get you further faster overall than binging erratically.

I use the Remembering the Hanzi books. They are a little weird because the characters are sorted into an order that groups them by component parts and not by how common they are (other than the most common 1500 are in that first book, and the next 1500 in book 2), so it can take a long time to reach a particular common character.

But these components really are the key to learning the characters, so regardless of what order you want to do them in or which particular book or list you are using, make sure that you are remembering things by components and not by 'ok there are 9 strokes and they are in this order' because that is not the kind of thing that is going to stick around for long. Far easier to remember 'woman on left, turtle on right'. Eventually these components begin to basically become a goofy kind of alphabet for you and that's when things really start to come together.

2 persons have voted this message useful

outcast
Bilingual Heptaglot
China
Joined 4739 days ago

869 posts - 1364 votes 

Message 22 of 230
08 April 2013 at 3:33pm | IP Logged 
I'll try to get that book, thanks. I don't try to remember stroke order (or even) count
really. I just write them out, and let my "writing" memory develop that on its own. I
thought it a mistake not to remember how many strokes a character has, but then I
realized if you really learn the character and can recall it, then you don't need to
memorize the number of strokes. You just write it out if you need to look it up for an
unknown meaning or word.

To me it's been quite easy so far to remember the characters, a little harder to recall
them when just seeing the pinyin + meaning. I'm assuming that at the very beginning it
is easy because you don't have your head swimming with characters, and as you said it
gets easier at the back end when you really assimilate the writing system. I'm guessing
it is the in-between period, when you have a lot of characters but not yet feel fully
comfortable with the components and short cuts to guessing meaning, that is the
hardest. I may be entering it as I get past 200-300 characters.

js6426
Diglot
Cambodia
Joined 4310 days ago

277 posts - 349 votes 
Speaks: English*, Khmer

Message 23 of 230
08 April 2013 at 4:29pm | IP Logged 
Seems that you are doing well with characters, keep up the good work! I just hit the 500 mark myself! I think it
does get easier, but what I struggle with is writing a character almost correct, but not quite (which is 100% wrong
of course). This is an issue with characters that haven't popped up for 3 months on Anki, all of a sudden they
return, and I cross a line where I shouldn't, or don't cross where I should etc! However, while writing out characters
infrequently becomes a challenge, they stick much better in my memory when it comes to reading them! Looking
forward to following your progress

outcast
Bilingual Heptaglot
China
Joined 4739 days ago

869 posts - 1364 votes 

Message 24 of 230
08 April 2013 at 7:39pm | IP Logged 
Thanks js6426. I am not doing flash cards yet, as I think I can handle brute repetition
for the first 200-300 characters. After that it is probable I will do some sort of
flash card system.

Yes, I've noticed the writing faults too, it's always some little dot or minor line
that kills me, not so much the major components. Or, I get the stroke direction wrong
and that messes up my muscle memory when writing the rest of it!

Ok, I forgot the progress entry for the 5th, wow time flew by this week!!! Also my
special post about the characters probably led me to believe I had done a WPE. Wrong!.
So here it goes... two days late but better than never:

- - - - - - -

Weekly Progress Entry 3

Ok, so slowly I am now settling into a study pattern and a time pattern. At least for
the first unit, the lessons took me 3-4 days to internalize to my satisfaction. this
means:

- Basically memorizing the dialogues (which is recommended by the book... not as bad as
it sounds, since they are very short and these were mainly the most basic greeting
expressions and status questions)
- memorizing the vocabulary list
- understanding the grammar, which has been quite easy so far, and again, my other
languages are helping immensely here. Example: "shi" is used in situations where
Spanish uses SER (the subject equals the descriptor), "hen" + stative verb where
Spanish uses ESTAR (the subject is "experiencing" the descriptor). This probably is not
a bullet proof fast rule but it has worked surprisingly well thus far.
- getting some of the cultural information assimilated on how to act, what words to
use, in different environments.

I periodically read again these sections, mainly because review is king and I don't
memorize the cultural notes, I think just reading them a few times gets you the idea
(don't point at Chinese people, etc!)

As I had set out to do, I finished Unit 1 during the weekend, and now have started Unit
2. I still don't see anything that is challenging me when I first encounter it. Sure,
to output the patterns is hard, mainly because I still am thinking about tones +
pronunciation + speed + cadence + vocabulary + grammar, all at once. I know that with
time some of those will become more automatic and make it easier. Already, some of the
easiest patterns are coming more naturally because of the extensive practice sessions I
do every day (1-2 hours).

As mentioned in my special post, I finished the first 100 batch of characters. I'm not
in the middle of the 2nd 100 batch of characters, right around 150 or so. This includes
writing them. It's easier than I thought so far. I insist that I always believed I had
a good visual memory, so maybe that is helping me?

I've also listened to the extra-practice dialogues, but I don't listen to them over and
over. I listen to them a couple of times, then listen to them again a couple of days
later. I feel I want to keep them somewhat "fresh", so that when I hear them my mind
has to focus on what sound like different patterns. I also listened ahead to the next
few listening exercises for the unit I'm working on now, before having studied them,
just to get my brain to begin "sifting" known bits of information from within all the
new information, to at least TRY getting the gist of it. It actually worked a little.

I have not taken out Pimsleur yet. I've decided to just stick with this course for the
moment, and wait until I feel a bit 'plateau-ed" by it. Then I'll pop-out the Pimsleur
for a change of pace that I'm sure will be positive for my mind. Regardless, I plan to
take it out no later than after completing Unit 5 of Basic Spoken Chinese.

I plan to meet with the Tutor's school Tuesday to try to work some plan out so I can
begin the weekly personal tutoring classes.

That is it. This week I'll just continue with Unit 2 (I would assume half done with it
somewhere in the weekend), and maybe hit 200 Hanzi by next Monday.

Till the next WPE on 4.12.2013!

This discussion contains 230 messages over 29 pages: << Prev 1 24 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version