145 messages over 19 pages: << Previous 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... 9 ... 18 19 Next >>
ElComadreja
Philippines
bibletranslatio
Joined 7029 days ago

683 posts - 757 votes 
2 sounds
Speaks: English*
Studies: Spanish, Portuguese, Latin, Ancient Greek, Biblical Hebrew, Cebuano, French, Tagalog

Message 65 of 145
08 January 2014 at 1:46am | IP Logged 
druckfehler wrote:
What do you mean by focusing on the meaning?

Really it's more like I start listening to a news story or something, and when I start
understanding I stop trying so hard to focus in the sounds. Or it will be something like
they will say a date and I'm thinking what day of the week that is. Or I'll hear the
words "not" and "going" and think wait they are not going... oh.. NOT going. (all in
Cebuano of course)

Edit: I am very glad that I know a little Tagalog so that when someone comes on the
Cebuano newscast speaking it I'm not twisting my brain around trying to figure out the
"cebuano" words.

Edited by ElComadreja on 08 January 2014 at 7:23am

1 person has voted this message useful

ElComadreja
Philippines
bibletranslatio
Joined 7029 days ago

683 posts - 757 votes 
2 sounds
Studies: Spanish, Portuguese, Latin, Ancient Greek, Biblical Hebrew, Cebuano, French, Tagalog

Message 66 of 145
09 January 2014 at 2:43am | IP Logged 
Well, Yesterday I didn't get to listen to the whole newscast, but I felt that I was doing
well. I was breaking up the sounds of some of the speakers around me, some of which are
normally incomprehensible to me. Understanding SOMETHING out of that is a big
motivational boost. Today I got to sit through a whole news cast & I felt from start to
finish that it was not as good. I found myself instead struggling to break up the sounds.
At one point I looked away from the video and then it got easier, but then I lost it
again :-/

ElComadreja
Philippines
bibletranslatio
Joined 7029 days ago

683 posts - 757 votes 
2 sounds

Message 67 of 145
10 January 2014 at 5:55am | IP Logged 
Today, maybe I got the first taste of listening bliss. Today I was listening to the 30
minute broadcast and I could parse the sounds out again. About 2/3 of the way through
something happened. It suddenly got easier for me to do this. It was like I could take
each word as it came to me, and if I didn't understand it, I could ignore it and move on,
and get the basic idea anyway. The main trouble was when it switched to a different
speaker, it took a few words for me to "tune into" them.

I had an appointment about 5 minutes after this happened, during that they used a word
that I heard correctly, would understand if it was written down, but I couldn't think of
what it was. When they told me I was like "oh, yeah".

I came back later to finish the show, and it was not quite the same.
2 persons have voted this message useful

ElComadreja
Philippines
bibletranslatio
Joined 7029 days ago

683 posts - 757 votes 
2 sounds

Message 68 of 145
15 January 2014 at 12:05pm | IP Logged 
The news is getting much easier now, and I'm able to hit that "sweet spot" more often.
I've noticed though that the the time of day makes a big difference. Early morning I
usually will be completely lost, coffee or no coffee. Still last Saturday night I was
sitting next to 4 guys talking to each other, and I got pretty much zero :(

Edit: I'll add this since it's still the same day, after being in a native home. I'm
definitively at the "understand if said twice" place. I'm also hearing much of what is
said without too much effort, but without outside context, it's still hard to pick up
what people are talking about. It's not brain burning anymore. Still someone gave me
the equivalent of "Would you please pray for us." at a time that I didn't expect it to
happen, and I heard it just fine.

The word "lasa" threw me off. Even after I had a translation. I have no goldlist
explanation for that.

Edited by ElComadreja on 15 January 2014 at 5:55pm

ElComadreja
Philippines
bibletranslatio
Joined 7029 days ago

683 posts - 757 votes 
2 sounds

Message 69 of 145
17 January 2014 at 3:12pm | IP Logged 
Well that was odd, when I said something to someone today, they said I "sound like a
Japanese"

ElComadreja
Philippines
bibletranslatio
Joined 7029 days ago

683 posts - 757 votes 
2 sounds

Message 70 of 145
18 January 2014 at 1:15pm | IP Logged 
Well, I tried something new today. Realizing that I need outside context to understand
Cebuano, I listened to some old news broadcasts without looking at the video. My
understanding went to almost zero. I wonder if I should just keep doing this.

Expugnator
Hexaglot
Brazil
Joined 4957 days ago

3335 posts - 4349 votes 
Speaks: Portuguese*, Norwegian, French, English, Italian, Papiamento
Studies: Mandarin, Georgian, Russian

Message 71 of 145
18 January 2014 at 1:24pm | IP Logged 
If you already know most of the words but can't follow the broadcast yet, then it's a
matter of time. Keep listening till your ears get used to the new environment and you'll
start recognizing the words you already know as well as picking up others from context.

Even if someone knew a language fluently in its written form, with accurate pronunciation
and such, it would take a few...weeks, maybe? till they got used to the sounds, rythm
etc..

ElComadreja
Philippines
bibletranslatio
Joined 7029 days ago

683 posts - 757 votes 
2 sounds

Message 72 of 145
18 January 2014 at 1:37pm | IP Logged 
Thanks. Always good to know that others are still looking at this log. If I knew how
long this would take it wouldn't be so bad. I have heard that for a first foreign
language it's like you have a "broken" ear, and when you do it once, it's easier for the
next language. I don't know if this is true or not.

This discussion contains 145 messages over 19 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 810 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version