145 messages over 19 pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... 7 ... 18 19 Next >>
ElComadreja
Philippines
bibletranslatio
Joined 7019 days ago

683 posts - 757 votes 
2 sounds
Speaks: English*
Studies: Spanish, Portuguese, Latin, Ancient Greek, Biblical Hebrew, Cebuano, French, Tagalog

Message 49 of 145
13 October 2013 at 6:12am | IP Logged 
Well, a strange thing happened. Yesterday I did the 6th distillation of those Hungarian
words, and I got it down to 3 words ??? So I pulled out the tape (which has no English)
and did not understand anything, except maybe the word for "cheap". I read through it
one time (with the English) and after that I don't need the English anymore!

Listening comprehension is lacking though. The course goes at 3 speeds. The slowest
says all the new words, and then a whole phrase. I listened to it while looking at the
book once, a second time just checking when I got lost, and the third time I can listen
right through the whole thing and just miss a word or two.

At the two faster speeds I just get a phrase here and there. Still, very impressive.

Going though this I noticed I had a few sounds wrong. "gy" is more of a "j" sound for
example. This may be some of the reason why I had a hard time hearing everything at
first.
1 person has voted this message useful

ElComadreja
Philippines
bibletranslatio
Joined 7019 days ago

683 posts - 757 votes 
2 sounds
Studies: Spanish, Portuguese, Latin, Ancient Greek, Biblical Hebrew, Cebuano, French, Tagalog

Message 50 of 145
17 October 2013 at 3:39am | IP Logged 
Well, It's all silver now, and there would just be one or two lists a day if I didn't start some Greek and Hebrew vocab. I'll let those play out, but I need to focus more on Cebuano verbal comprehension. I've started writing down words that I really don't think I know from newspapers and the Bible, but there's really not that many... I don't even have 10 yet.

Verbal comprehension keeps going in and out, and there seems to be no outside reason for it most of the time. It does this regardless of speed or clarity or familiarity. I'll watch the same you tube video and might not understand as much the next day, or possibly more.

I'll say this though, those CDs I had from long ago, that I could understand just fine, are even easier now.

ElComadreja
Philippines
bibletranslatio
Joined 7019 days ago

683 posts - 757 votes 
2 sounds

Message 51 of 145
23 October 2013 at 5:31pm | IP Logged 
Well, I've been doing this since maybe 3 days ago... I've been listening to a chapter
of the Bible 3 times (with breaks), then reading the chapter, and making notes about
what I didn't understand. Then I listen while reading, and then just listen a few
times.

Very seldom is the problem of understanding vocabulary. Maybe 2 words in 5 chapters
throws me off because of that. I guess if I was reading I would just kind of gloss over
it, but that's kind of hard when listening.

Starting last night I am just listening to Matthew chapter by chapter, which I have
read straight through a few weeks ago. I'm hearing much more than I used to. Tonight I
walked in a room of speakers and could understand everyone talking to each other! Ok
not every word but I could follow it. Then the sermon was clear, and after that I kind
of lost it. I think it was because there were to many people talking about different
things and it was hard to grab a hold of anything. Or maybe my "in and out" cycles are
getting longer.

ElComadreja
Philippines
bibletranslatio
Joined 7019 days ago

683 posts - 757 votes 
2 sounds

Message 52 of 145
04 November 2013 at 6:54am | IP Logged 
I thought I would add this for today... A few weeks ago I took 31 words I didn't know
from some newspapers, and today it was distilled down to 10. Maybe I did know them.

ElComadreja
Philippines
bibletranslatio
Joined 7019 days ago

683 posts - 757 votes 
2 sounds

Message 53 of 145
19 November 2013 at 8:01am | IP Logged 
Well, I've found a new project. I have a youtube compilations of some Cebuano jokes... I
understand a few, but not some others. As soon as I got someone to say the words to me
slower, I got the joke. So... this is a matter of rapid verbal understanding in a more
"street" style. I wonder how long this will take. The whole thing is only 5 minutes.

ElComadreja
Philippines
bibletranslatio
Joined 7019 days ago

683 posts - 757 votes 
2 sounds

Message 54 of 145
23 November 2013 at 6:26am | IP Logged 
I noticed this thing in particular. There's a very common word "kinahanglan" which
roughly means "need". There is a shorter way that most people say it here in Cebu. I
still haven't worked out how to say it myself, but I pretty much hear it every time
someone says it now. I think it's because I was listening to those jokes. It would never
be said that way in my Bible recording, and probably not on the news either.

One small step...

ElComadreja
Philippines
bibletranslatio
Joined 7019 days ago

683 posts - 757 votes 
2 sounds

Message 55 of 145
07 December 2013 at 10:43am | IP Logged 
I've been trying some LR with the Bible. Not sure how well it's helping with other
things though.

1) I first try to shadow a chapter (that I have not read, but that I should be able to
read easily). I usually get the gist (which is normal for me given enough words). I
used audacity to slow it down 25% so I can keep up.

2)Then I follow the text while listening so that I will notice things that my brain
kind of glossed over.

3)Then I keep repeating the parts that I missed until I hear it right.

4) Then I listen to the thing at full speed.

ElComadreja
Philippines
bibletranslatio
Joined 7019 days ago

683 posts - 757 votes 
2 sounds

Message 56 of 145
10 December 2013 at 6:31am | IP Logged 
Only lacking one more Gold page to be all up on the Gold level. It will be 20 pages.
The only reason why it's not Gold already is because I had to have some Greek words
come up behind it to make an even 4 pages at the end of the silver book.

I don't notice much of a difference since I went up to the Silver level. It could just
be that there's 1/4 less to do, but I think that most of the words were already learned
"good enough" so that I could pick it up quickly on my own. Early on when I would have
trouble with words, I would often find out that they were not distilled

But now I see words (look it up) and afterward know them quite well, and then I
sometimes find those words have not yet been taken out, so to not do anymore than 11
distillations sounds like good advice. I might even say 7 is enough.

The logic was that after 12 times, you have seen all the words an average of 3 times,
but you know, if the first set of words taken out stick then why does that figure into
the average?

Wow I just went back to Victor's blog to state this idea, and I just noticed the
statement that says 7 distillations will be enough for most people :o

Edited by ElComadreja on 10 December 2013 at 6:51am

2 persons have voted this message useful

This discussion contains 145 messages over 19 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 68 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version