145 messages over 19 pages: << Previous 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... 16 ... 18 19 Next >>
ElComadreja
Philippines
bibletranslatio
Joined 7029 days ago

683 posts - 757 votes 
2 sounds
Speaks: English*
Studies: Spanish, Portuguese, Latin, Ancient Greek, Biblical Hebrew, Cebuano, French, Tagalog

Message 121 of 145
26 March 2014 at 12:29pm | IP Logged 
Hmm, on the Cebuano front, I was in a taxi cab where two Ceubano speakers were talking to each other. I understood one, but not the other :p I was told he was from a different place. There's a "do you want build a snowman" bisaya version on youtube... "gutso ka mahimo suman" (do you want to make some suman-- a local dish)

I listed up the Hebrew words I need for Jonah... on target for that goal.

This is the 2nd day I've listen to the news in Tagalog (Filipino?) (same place I listen to it in Cebuano, but the stories are not the same). I am nearly totally lost. Oh look there went the word for money. I might need to do some preemptive reading, but I'm curious to know if I can eventually catch on by just listening at this point.

I'm still on Hungarian lesson 2. On day 5 I realized I was stuck. I could not sub-vocalize it like I wanted. So, I tried remembering and reciting some of the sentences in the dialogue without the recording. It's working. In doing this I realized that when I heard the word "akar", in the past I just picked up on that sound, and not the ending, thus I thought the ending was another word.

Edited by ElComadreja on 26 March 2014 at 12:33pm

1 person has voted this message useful

ElComadreja
Philippines
bibletranslatio
Joined 7029 days ago

683 posts - 757 votes 
2 sounds
Studies: Spanish, Portuguese, Latin, Ancient Greek, Biblical Hebrew, Cebuano, French, Tagalog

Message 122 of 145
04 April 2014 at 10:07am | IP Logged 
oops, my listening comprehension went down last week,and I realized I hadn't watched
the
news for a few days. After three days of making sure I don't miss it, I got it back,
skipped a day, and then I had to build it up again the next day. I guess I just don't
get enough daily input in my normal life to keep it up.

Akong pagpamati gidul-og sa niaging semana, ug naghinomdum ko nga wa ko nagtanaw sa
balita
duha ka adlaw. Tudlo ka adlaw unya naghinomdom nga tanaw, mobalik so sa una, pero
naglimton ko gihapon, ug kinahanlang ko nagtukod niana sa sunod aldaw. Wa ko gikuha ang
input adlaw-adlaw, siguro, sa pagbilin sa parajas nibel.

Full of errors I'm sure :p

Edited by ElComadreja on 04 April 2014 at 10:57am

ElComadreja
Philippines
bibletranslatio
Joined 7029 days ago

683 posts - 757 votes 
2 sounds

Message 123 of 145
23 April 2014 at 9:59am | IP Logged 
***RE-POSTING FROM POLYDOG***

Well I'm bummed that htlal is down. But I haven't really been using it lately. I'm
always on the lookout for another method I can try, but really right now I think I'm
good at getting to the point where I just have to use a language.

I've felt a little overwhelmed lately, so I've dropped pretty much all my other
languages endeavors aside from Cebuano. (and a few straggling Goldlists). I started
conversing a bit last Thursday, amazingly not getting stuck on my end, and with the
help of a correcting friend, the rough corners are being knocked off as I go. That was
a long day, and the next day I was exhausted and couldn't seem to get anything going
(but this was also true in English, so I don't feel too bad about that).

I still feel some Spanish interference from time to time. I'm still mixing up wala and
dili. In general wala means none, and dili means no/not, but situations keep coming up
that the natives cannot explain. I think one of my problems is that I want to use
"wala" to mean "not at all" and that seems to be wrong all around. I need to review the
proper word order for a question, as I messed that up this morning, and I remember some
special rule about the word ka/you having to be put very early on in the question.

The exact prefixes to use still get me tripped up. do I use nag-, ni-, ma-, or maka-?
I've heard similar complaints from learners of Tagalog (There's allot of prefix
overlap). I understand the basic differences between these, but some words just don't
want to use some of these prefixes. For example the verb kita/see. It seems to always
use naka- or maka-. So it also seems with other verbs of perception.

I haven't kept up on my daily news, but I think at this point, all that does is help me
understand the news. Understanding people on a conversational level feels like a
different (although related) task. It's so odd because even on a bad day I hear most
the words but can't put them together into complete thoughts.

Still on target for Goldlisting of Hungarian FSI I, and Jonah. When will I get to the
actual materials? uncertain. My read through the whole Greek Bible goal this year has
been forgotten until just now :/

***NEXT POST***

Hmm I'm still fixing my pronunciation in Cebuano. Most recently it's final "t" at the
end of a syllable. A friend of mine kept having me say words that have that in it, and
eventually I realized that it's really a soft "th". Playing boggle here is a chore
because when someone says "bat" I'm wondering if they said "bath", but little things
like this are helping me understand the local English accent as well.

** NEXT POST***

hmm today I got to have fun figuring out how to get a driver's licence over here. The
first thing that is not obvious is that except for one guard standing outside, no one
outside works for that office. They're trying to sell you something, and are
counterproductive.

I was able to ask where can I get a form for a new licence without a headache. and also
asked someone how much they paid for a medical test to make sure I didn't get
overcharged for that. I've noticed though that I have to use a higher register when
speaking to make myself clear. It's kind of hard with a sore throat :/

I try to keep talking to them in Cebuano, they keep talking to me in English. I find
this very annoying. I want to hang a sign around my neck that says "Please just use
Cebuano". Today was still kind of a boost though because I know I can talk to someone
to figure stuff out. My "conversational" is still lagging, but mainly when I'm trying
to understand it.

On the news front, I've decided once again not to watch the video. My brain get lazy,
or worse, trys to figure out how the video and what the guy is saying is related, and
gets sidetracked. Because sometimes it's not very related, like they will talk about
rising gas prices, and show some buses going down the road.

Edited by ElComadreja on 23 April 2014 at 10:01am

ElComadreja
Philippines
bibletranslatio
Joined 7029 days ago

683 posts - 757 votes 
2 sounds

Message 124 of 145
23 April 2014 at 10:02am | IP Logged 
Well last night our group had some fun, but I spent most of my time trying to understand
everyone. It's really hard when everyone keeps talking over everyone else.

ElComadreja
Philippines
bibletranslatio
Joined 7029 days ago

683 posts - 757 votes 
2 sounds

Message 125 of 145
24 April 2014 at 1:01pm | IP Logged 
I found this comment my daristani under "Does fluency involve an epiphany moment". This presents to me the experience I'm having with Cebuano. It's a bit of a boost to know I'm on the right track. One day you're the hero, the next day you're the gutter hobo. :p

Quote:
In my experience, learning a language is in some ways a succession of both "positive" and "negative" epiphany moments, which for me, at least, often seem to alternate. In other words, there are times when things go well, you understand what's being said to you, and you find yourself able to express what you want to say with more facility than usual (a tiny bit of alcohol can sometimes help) and you say to yourself "Wow, I guess I really am learning this language!" This usually spurs your self-confidence, and often perhaps the degree of effort you put into your studies.

Unfortunately, there also come about times when you just don't seem to "get it", when you're tongue-tied, and get frustrated, and you then think "I may never really get the hang of this." (This is, I imagine, a useful corrective to over-confidence.)

I think these are both inevitable situations as you advance along the path, and that the important thing is to keep going, using whatever tricks you can to keep your motivation up and keep you moving forward. (As an example, if there's someone with whom you seem to be able to speak easily, or who has a very clear accent, spend as much time as possible interacting with him/her, both to build your confidence and to get lots of practice in unrehearsed speech. If others are harder to understand, don't worry; there are people who speak American English whom I have a hard time understanding, but I still count myself as a native speaker.)

So it seems to me that you get to a few peaks, you have plateaus, and there are also occasions when you get the impression you're stuck in a valley {the "slough of despond", I guess). But as long as you keep working, at whatever pace you're working, you'll still make progress.

ElComadreja
Philippines
bibletranslatio
Joined 7029 days ago

683 posts - 757 votes 
2 sounds

Message 126 of 145
27 April 2014 at 11:37am | IP Logged 
Well as I try to say more, more people realize that I can do *something* with this
language. The artificial English bubble is starting to break.

ElComadreja
Philippines
bibletranslatio
Joined 7029 days ago

683 posts - 757 votes 
2 sounds

Message 127 of 145
29 April 2014 at 12:12pm | IP Logged 
Can't get the image thing to work right, so here's a link
Cebuano Joke

Edited by ElComadreja on 29 April 2014 at 12:14pm

ElComadreja
Philippines
bibletranslatio
Joined 7029 days ago

683 posts - 757 votes 
2 sounds

Message 128 of 145
30 April 2014 at 2:46pm | IP Logged 
Due to my heavier focus on Cebuano, I finally finished my first play "Ang Mini" (the
fake), with lots of help from the loose English translation in the back of the book. Time
now to go through it a second time and see if I can take the training wheels off.

This discussion contains 145 messages over 19 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version