145 messages over 19 pages: 1 2 3 4 57 ... 6 ... 18 19 Next >>
ElComadreja
Philippines
bibletranslatio
Joined 7019 days ago

683 posts - 757 votes 
2 sounds
Speaks: English*
Studies: Spanish, Portuguese, Latin, Ancient Greek, Biblical Hebrew, Cebuano, French, Tagalog

Message 41 of 145
06 August 2013 at 10:22am | IP Logged 
Hi there, thanks for the note. As you might imagine Tagalog is high on my hit list :) Every so often I get text messages from Globe in Tagalog and I don't know what to do :o Also I couldn't help someone with math because their materials were all in Tagalog.

I got sick last week and therefore "behind" schedule. I reevaluated the situation and realized that I could just focus on headlisting the last 20% and be done in about 2 weeks... well before the target 2 months of anything else needing to be distilled. This is more desirable in the short term because I noticed a huge boost to my reading the first two weeks when I was just headlisting. 82%

1 person has voted this message useful

Victor Berrjod
Diglot
Groupie
Norway
no.vvb.no/
Joined 4890 days ago

62 posts - 110 votes 
Speaks: Norwegian*, English
Studies: Japanese, Korean, Ancient Greek, Biblical Hebrew, Mandarin, Cantonese

Message 42 of 145
06 August 2013 at 2:31pm | IP Logged 
It's so cool to read about your goldlisting adventures! It's like reliving my own success with it! I was goldlisting Mandarin in this way, and every time I met a Chinese person, I understood and spoke a little better, even though I had no daily practice, just because my vocabulary was increasing so fast. I stopped before reaching 2000 words, because I got through my books and started new projects instead, but I really want to continue it after my current Korean project!
3 persons have voted this message useful

Huliganov
Octoglot
Poland
huliganov.tvRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 5136 days ago

91 posts - 304 votes 
Speaks: English*, Polish, French, German, Russian, Spanish, Esperanto, Czech
Studies: Romanian, Turkish, Mandarin, Japanese, Hungarian

Message 43 of 145
06 August 2013 at 8:15pm | IP Logged 
Delighted to see both motivation and results flowing with the Goldlist Method. Thanks for
this log.
2 persons have voted this message useful

ElComadreja
Philippines
bibletranslatio
Joined 7019 days ago

683 posts - 757 votes 
2 sounds
Studies: Spanish, Portuguese, Latin, Ancient Greek, Biblical Hebrew, Cebuano, French, Tagalog

Message 44 of 145
11 August 2013 at 3:15pm | IP Logged 
Wow last night someone was talking about something in Cebuano and I pretty understood it all and was not really trying  (I was quite tired at the time). That's quite a confidence boost. Not the hardest speaker to understand, but not the easiest either. 90% headlisted and then I got tired of doing that and instead doing more distillations.

ElComadreja
Philippines
bibletranslatio
Joined 7019 days ago

683 posts - 757 votes 
2 sounds

Message 45 of 145
19 August 2013 at 3:37pm | IP Logged 
Well I've Goldlisted as much of that dictionary that I'm going to. There was an addendum at the end that I ignored. At first I ignored the words with a star on them. Maybe someday I'll come back and do those. But even with that, there's not much left.

So instead of headlisting, I'm using Cebuano as much as I can. I read through 6 chapters of Matthew and it was SO much easier than last time, which is surprising since I've done about zero Cebuano for months except for the listing. I remember some words that I had to gloss over before, but I KNOW them now, or if I think for a minute the meaning comes out.
I'm very happy to be using a bilingual Bible, because many times this happens... I can't figure out the word, I look at the translation, and then it sticks! Effortlessly. This did not work this way before. For the ones that don't really stick, I wonder if they have been distilled yet.

It's a little rough reading through proverbs, but then I remember it's rough in English too because of all the disconnected statements. It's not a narrative.

Edited by ElComadreja on 19 August 2013 at 5:41pm

ElComadreja
Philippines
bibletranslatio
Joined 7019 days ago

683 posts - 757 votes 
2 sounds

Message 46 of 145
19 September 2013 at 3:44pm | IP Logged 
Well, nearly everything is up on the Silver level now, and so there is not much to do
in one day for my Cebuano Goldlisting, so I've had time to start using it allot more. I
feel that my reading ability with my Cebuano Bible has skyrocketed. I'm using my
bilingual because I get to glance over at the English and then the word sticks. So I'm
just activating so much.

Somebody came by today and I thought they were asking for one of my bottles to recycle.
One word had me stumped. Oddly enough I remembered the word, could somehow remember me
writing it down in one of my books, but I couldn't remember what it meant. I asked
someone and then it stuck. So I'm very happy with my results this far.

Now I went back yesterday and started listening to the news (which I could kind of
follow several months ago) and I didn't understand anything :( I did 2 sessions of
shadowing.

Today I listened to the news and I would say I'm almost to where I was before in oral
comprehension, with the addition that I heard a word and by the context I remembered
it, and that word stuck.

So I'm feeling rapid progress now but wonder when I will reach that elusive oral
understanding grail that I never quite got a hold of in Spanish.

Edited by ElComadreja on 19 September 2013 at 3:45pm

2 persons have voted this message useful

ElComadreja
Philippines
bibletranslatio
Joined 7019 days ago

683 posts - 757 votes 
2 sounds

Message 47 of 145
25 September 2013 at 4:11am | IP Logged 
Well, two days ago, I could listen to the news about at the level that I was before...
maybe a little better. I don't know if it was 3 days or if it was just the 3rd day that I
happened to try listening to it.

Something else happened though... several times in the broadcast I heard words that I
could hear the words, but I could not figure out what they meant... This has never
happened to me before in spoken language at a native speed! I think this means that given
enough time I can figure out speech now. At the moment I just pause the video, go look
the word up, and then come back to the video.

Edited by ElComadreja on 25 September 2013 at 4:17am

ElComadreja
Philippines
bibletranslatio
Joined 7019 days ago

683 posts - 757 votes 
2 sounds

Message 48 of 145
05 October 2013 at 3:37pm | IP Logged 
Reading comprehension is moving along nicely. I get the gist of most newspaper
articles. The words I look up are more and more just turning out to be a word that I
know used in an unusual way or that changes so much that I don't recognize it. The
major thing that throws a wrench in it is that there's some prefixes that end up
cutting off the first letter of the root word!

As far as unusual uses, I'll use this example. There was a word I look up and the
definition was something like "swarming insects", but they used it to just mean
"swarming" and in the context was talking about rising drug crime.

I found a rare book... A bilingual Cebuano Grammar. This might be a result of this...
The Philippines recently started a "mother tongue" curriculum so that everyone will
study their local language in school (I say yeay!) Anyway I don't think it has allot of
practical value because not many will know this stuff (yet) but the technical terms are
often just other Cebuano words used in new ways. Oddly enough, I thought I didn't see
any of those words before, but then I rested for a moment, and was like oh yeah, the
definition I saw was so and so...

Still pushing on verbal... my speech is behind where it one was I think.

onward...

This discussion contains 145 messages over 19 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 57 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version