Hexaglot
Brazil
Joined 4948 days ago

3335 posts - 4349 votes 
Speaks: Portuguese*, Norwegian, French, English, Italian, Papiamento
Studies: Mandarin, Georgian, Russian

Message 25 of 145
13 May 2013 at 5:27pm | IP Logged 
I think you should try listening to the harder stuff, or else you won't get used to it. You don't need to start with the hardest one, such as noisy telephone conversations, but just keep sure to increase the level of difficultness. Once in a while listen to the easiest ones just to remind yourself that you can already understand the language in a slower speed.
1 person has voted this message useful

ElComadreja
Philippines
bibletranslatio
Joined 7020 days ago

683 posts - 757 votes 
2 sounds
Speaks: English*
Studies: Spanish, Portuguese, Latin, Ancient Greek, Biblical Hebrew, Cebuano, French, Tagalog

Message 26 of 145
15 May 2013 at 7:15am | IP Logged 
I discovered the Goldlist method, and I'm going to give this a try. It's doesn't make sense that it should work, but it seems to be an optimized version of something I did for Spanish that didn't make any sense either. I think I'll limit it to words I don't know from the newspaper or Bible. Some of the reason why I don't understand the faster spoken news may be just because of a lack of "journalism" vocabulary.

ElComadreja
Philippines
bibletranslatio
Joined 7020 days ago

683 posts - 757 votes 
2 sounds
Studies: Spanish, Portuguese, Latin, Ancient Greek, Biblical Hebrew, Cebuano, French, Tagalog

Message 27 of 145
17 May 2013 at 5:17pm | IP Logged 
Shadowing feels like the "magic bullet" right now for comprehension. Earlier this week I was having trouble listening to the faster spoken news. I then at some point shadowed something 6 minutes long that I had shadowed before.... There was an instant boost to comprehension. I started hearing words again. I guess shadowing makes me focus on the sounds somehow, and now I feel like that's what I'm listening to... just the sounds. This means that I get some information rather than nothing. I feel that if I had the time I could analyze a word that I just heard to figure out what it is, but I don't have that luxury. The same is true of me just listing to native speakers around here.

This is all starting to feel like voodoo. If I try to understand then I can't.

ElComadreja
Philippines
bibletranslatio
Joined 7020 days ago

683 posts - 757 votes 
2 sounds

Message 28 of 145
18 May 2013 at 6:37pm | IP Logged 
Wow, there was a whole segment on the news that I understood. Elections just happened here and it's been all over the news in various forms. So now, when it's on that topic... I get most or all of it. I also got part of a crackly phone voice talking about some tornado. There's a certain kind of speech here that is driving me nuts. I can tell visually that I'm going to have a hard time. It's when the corners of the speaker's mouth are pushed slightly in and hardly move. I'm usually happy if I can pull anything out of that. It's about as bad as the phone thing.

ElComadreja
Philippines
bibletranslatio
Joined 7020 days ago

683 posts - 757 votes 
2 sounds

Message 29 of 145
21 May 2013 at 6:40am | IP Logged 
I've decided to bite the bullet. I'm goldlisting a dictionary. I've read the Bible so much that I'm getting into unusual/unknown vocabulary. I'm getting diminishing returns from news articles. Now I seem to be getting into that area of words that people speak, but that I will never see written down anywhere, simply because no one is out there today writing novels in Cebuano.

I had a dictionary already, but it was missing several words that I know that I've heard in actual use. So I've started gallivanting through the dictionary someone posted earlier that does have those words. However (and this was part of my personal process a long time ago) I don't pick out every single word. As I get to every word that I don't know I ask myself "how in the world would I ever use this?" If I can't answer that question, I don't put it on my list. I also don't pick words that are almost spelt the same as others that I already have and almost mean the same thing.

If this doesn't work as intended, I'll go back to my older ways with a nice list of words to go on.

Expugnator
Hexaglot
Brazil
Joined 4948 days ago

3335 posts - 4349 votes 
Speaks: Portuguese*, Norwegian, French, English, Italian, Papiamento
Studies: Mandarin, Georgian, Russian

Message 30 of 145
21 May 2013 at 8:07pm | IP Logged 
What do you mean with people not writing news in Cebuano? What about news articles?

ElComadreja
Philippines
bibletranslatio
Joined 7020 days ago

683 posts - 757 votes 
2 sounds

Message 31 of 145
22 May 2013 at 4:32am | IP Logged 
No, the news is fine, and I can follow it now. I'm talking about a novel that could talk about things that a newspaper never would. Also the "news" vocabulary is a bit off from how people actually talk.

ElComadreja
Philippines
bibletranslatio
Joined 7020 days ago

683 posts - 757 votes 
2 sounds

Message 32 of 145
28 May 2013 at 8:05am | IP Logged 
Ok, my first distillations came up today. I had five goldlist headlists to go through. The first was the one (only one) that
I tried to memorize before putting it in the list. That's to say I went through it at least once and got everything right. On THAT list remembering 8 words was spot on. (This was a list of words from a Bible chapter).

The other 4 lists, well, I remembered about 5 words total. These were words that were similar to what I already knew (yam-is is the same as tam-is).

But I remember the directions. It says that you have to choose which ones to throw out. So I did this, wrote the remaining 17, talked through them, and I know by the time I did all that these words were much stronger, because when I was pronouncing the words, I didn't have to peek over so often to see what it was and make sure I was thinking about the right thing.

I did one cheat, because one of the words that I choose to throw out... Not once did I look at that word and have any idea what it was. I combined it in a sentence with another word.

Also, BTW, I got a bit distracted last week with Waray. It's very close to Cebuano, and looks like it forms verbs like Tagalog does. With a bit of practice, I can make it out already.

2 persons have voted this message useful

This discussion contains 145 messages over 19 pages: << Prev 1 2 35 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version