Norway
Joined 5146 days ago

4143 posts - 8864 votes 
Speaks: Norwegian*, Spanish, Swedish, French, English, German, Italian
Studies: Russian

Message 49 of 50
26 October 2011 at 2:43pm | IP Logged 
wv girl wrote:

When I was younger, however, I admit that I shied away from men as language partners. My one brief exchange
recently with "chatting" online to practice Spanish started with the man telling me that I was very pretty, even
though I was 45 years old! Two things threw me ... 1) I was completely unaware that he could see me. God,
what had I clicked on? I thought we were just typing! 2) Attractive, really? I was kind of hung over from the
previous might's wedding reception.

I am happy to hear that you have mostly had positive experiences, that is how it should be.

Funny how we react so differently to compliments, both on an individual level, and each individual according to who gives the compliment, and what their previous experiences are. I must admit that since I am so comfortable with Spanish culture, any compliment in Spanish would have to be very heavy handed indeed for me to raise an eyebrow. In any other language I may be apprehensive about compliments given, because I am less used to it,and would worry about possible implications, but in Spanish compliments are so natural, and have always been such a source of joy and amusement due to their vast creativity, that they never worry me. I do not interpret them as a sign of romantic interest, though, just as a way of showing good will. Obviously, someone with another background would react differently, and I would probably also have been very worried in your case if I thought I was unobserved.
1 person has voted this message useful

Solfrid Cristin
Heptaglot
Winner TAC 2011 & 2012
Norway
Joined 5146 days ago

4143 posts - 8864 votes 
Speaks: Norwegian*, Spanish, Swedish, French, English, German, Italian
Studies: Russian

Message 50 of 50
05 January 2012 at 9:35am | IP Logged 
leosmith wrote:
I agree with Solfrid that the solution isn't to give a speech about not wanting to get involved.

Wow. I had overlooked this one. Leosmith agreeing with me on something? Could somebody please point me to the hell that is frozen over somewhere close? :-)
2 persons have voted this message useful

This discussion contains 50 messages over 7 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version