United States
Joined 6362 days ago

2365 posts - 3804 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Tagalog

Message 41 of 50
25 October 2011 at 6:28pm | IP Logged 
Arekkusu wrote:
I live in a city where potential partners are hard to come by.

Sorry for not catching this from your earlier posts. You are in a situation I haven't been in for a long time, so please
ignore what I said.
1 person has voted this message useful

Arekkusu
Hexaglot
Canada
bit.ly/qc_10_lec
Joined 5193 days ago

3971 posts - 7747 votes 
Speaks: English, French*, GermanC1, Spanish, Japanese, Esperanto
Studies: Italian, Norwegian, Mandarin, Romanian, Estonian

Message 42 of 50
25 October 2011 at 6:30pm | IP Logged 
leosmith wrote:
Arekkusu wrote:
I live in a city where potential partners are hard to come by.

Sorry for not catching this from your earlier posts. You are in a situation I haven't been in for a long time, so please
ignore what I said.

I'm afraid that will simply be impossible ;)

Solfrid Cristin
Heptaglot
Winner TAC 2011 & 2012
Norway
Joined 5146 days ago

4143 posts - 8864 votes 
Speaks: Norwegian*, Spanish, Swedish, French, English, German, Italian
Studies: Russian

Message 43 of 50
26 October 2011 at 12:06am | IP Logged 
mrwarper wrote:
   In the same vein, central to the thread so far, a German girl once sent me a message along the lines of 'I don't want to go on with this because I think you are/were trying to hit it on me. It's always the same with men.'

Again, this is related to age. Young women are worried that they'll get into trouble, and have to be extra cautious. Through HTLAL I had a Russian/Spanish e-mail exchange right after I started up here. We exchanged some great e-mails, but I got a tad surprised when he started adressing me as "my dearest Cristina", and "my darling". Now had this been 30 years ago, I would have stopped writing immediately. However since we were both married, he was 15 years younger than me and he lived at the other side of the planet, I did not feel particularly worried that this would get out of hand. It just died out naturally after a while, but it worked well for a long time.

Besides, I am at the age when you start being totally invisible to men, so you had better just appreciate compliments or terms of endearments whenever they appear :-)

Young women have so much more to look out for, that it is understandable that they are extra careful.

I am not quite sure what advice to give to the men who have problems finding a female language partner, but emphasizing your motivation and dedication to the language learning, as mentioned previously sounds like the best idea. If it is at all possible to slip in a mentioning of a wife or girlfriend that usually helps too, though I do not have a fool proof way of wording that in an ad. "Since my wife speaks the same language as I do I need a language partner for language xxx"? I guess it is feasible, but it would look quaint.

I have been thinking about why I do not like the idea of saying that you are not interested in a relationship. I think my main objection is that this would entail that if you did not make such a statement, you would be considered fair game, and I am not sure that would convince more girls to do it. I do find that Arekkusus's wording is good. However, as my Dutch experience showed me,that does not necessarily help...

Oh, and at the risk of sounding like the dumb blonde, what on earth does it meant "to have a chip"?

Edited by Solfrid Cristin on 26 October 2011 at 12:10am

mrwarper
Diglot
Winner TAC 2012
Spain
forum_posts.asp?TID=Registered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 5038 days ago

1493 posts - 2500 votes 
Speaks: Spanish*, EnglishC2
Studies: German, Russian, Japanese

Message 44 of 50
26 October 2011 at 12:59am | IP Logged 
Solfrid Cristin wrote:
... I got a tad surprised when he started adressing me as "my dearest Cristina", and "my darling". Now had this been 30 years ago, I would have stopped writing immediately.

I've addressed you like that in the past. I hope you didn't think I was trying anything dubious...

Quote:
Besides, I am at the age when you start being totally invisible to men, so you had better just appreciate compliments or terms of endearments whenever they appear :-)

Oh, it must have been that then :)

Quote:
Young women have so much more to look out for, that it is understandable that they are extra careful.

And rightfully so, of course. Problems usually arise only when measures and countermeasures get out of hand, as some people have experienced, and sometimes the wrong people pay for others' sins.

Quote:
I am not quite sure what advice to give to the men who have problems finding a female language partner, but emphasizing your motivation and dedication to the language learning, as mentioned previously sounds like the best idea.

Exactly. Either that, or get a male LP and doff all your problems altogether.

Quote:
I have been thinking about why I do not like the idea of saying that you are not interested in a relationship.

I think it's perfectly acceptable, as long as you don't say it while firing a shotgun or something...

Quote:
Oh, and at the risk of sounding like the dumb blonde, what on earth does it meant "to have a chip"?

It probably meant to have a set/rigid behavior metaphorically governed by some kind of mechanism (the chip) that can be turned on and off (or perhaps that CAN'T be turned on/off :)
Just like that Simpsons' Krusty the Klown doll that had a switch labeled 'good/evil'...

Edited by mrwarper on 26 October 2011 at 1:02am

Solfrid Cristin
Heptaglot
Winner TAC 2011 & 2012
Norway
Joined 5146 days ago

4143 posts - 8864 votes 
Speaks: Norwegian*, Spanish, Swedish, French, English, German, Italian
Studies: Russian

Message 45 of 50
26 October 2011 at 1:22am | IP Logged 
mrwarper wrote:
Solfrid Cristin wrote:
... I got a tad surprised when he started adressing me as "my dearest Cristina", and "my darling". Now had this been 30 years ago, I would have stopped writing immediately.

I've addressed you like that in the past. I hope you didn't think I was trying anything dubious...

I think I would have noticed if you had called me "darling".

My dearest is quite ok. :-)Besides, it is different saying something once in an open thread, than repeatedly in a private e-mail exchange.

Edited by Solfrid Cristin on 26 October 2011 at 1:26am

wv girl
Diglot
United States
Joined 5051 days ago

174 posts - 330 votes 
Speaks: English*, French
Studies: Spanish

Message 46 of 50
26 October 2011 at 2:17am | IP Logged 
"To have a chip" means to be prejudiced against someone, based on past experience with others. Maybe the girl
in question had repeated unpleasant encounters with men in general ... therefore, she "has a chip on her
shoulder" toward a friendly language partner. He must be like all the rest, that scoundrel!

I have generally been lucky with language partners. My French tutor was a woman in her 70s who became like
my grandmother. We did, in fact, develop a very close relationship, although it wasn't along the romantic lines   
that this thread is addressing. I've also been fortunate to have had gay men who wanted to practice. No
unwanted sexual tension there! Once I was conversational in French, I pretty much turned down any offers to
tutor men. There generally seemed to be a flirty aspect about requests for "French lessons." I didn't really
perceive a strong desire to learn the language.

When I was younger, however, I admit that I shied away from men as language partners. My one brief exchange
recently with "chatting" online to practice Spanish started with the man telling me that I was very pretty, even
though I was 45 years old! Two things threw me ... 1) I was completely unaware that he could see me. God,
what had I clicked on? I thought we were just typing! 2) Attractive, really? I was kind of hung over from the
previous might's wedding reception. Although as Solfrid mentioned, I too am getting to that age where I should
appreciate any positive attention. In any case, it totally freaked me out & I politely discontinued our
conversation. I never returned to the site. I think I'll just practice with the waitress at my favorite Mexican
restaurant ... we can talk about our kids, the weather, etc. All safe stuff ...

leosmith
United States
Joined 6362 days ago

2365 posts - 3804 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Tagalog

Message 47 of 50
26 October 2011 at 8:05am | IP Logged 
wv girl wrote:
"To have a chip" means to be prejudiced against someone, based on past experience with others.
Maybe the girl
in question had repeated unpleasant encounters with men in general ... therefore, she "has a chip on her
shoulder" toward a friendly language partner.

I've heard the terms "to have a chip on one's shoulder" and "to cross over the line" are closely related, although it could
be an urban legend. In olden times, if you wanted to fight about something, you could put a chip (I assume wood) on
your shoulder, and dare someone to knock it off. Similarly, you could draw a line in the sand and dare someone to cross
it. If the other person knocked off the chip in the first case, or crossed the line in the 2nd case, blows would be
exchanged.

The expression "to have a chip on one's shoulder" has evolved since then, at least in my circles. It's similar to the
expression "to have baggage".

mrwarper
Diglot
Winner TAC 2012
Spain
forum_posts.asp?TID=Registered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 5038 days ago

1493 posts - 2500 votes 
Speaks: Spanish*, EnglishC2
Studies: German, Russian, Japanese

Message 48 of 50
26 October 2011 at 1:30pm | IP Logged 
leosmith wrote:
The expression "to have a chip on one's shoulder" has evolved since then, at least in my circles. It's similar to the
expression "to have baggage".

Interesting; I had heard "somobody carries / put a chip on his shoulder" (exactly -- a chip resting on one shoulder, daring anyone to knock it off) but never "have a chip on their shoulders" or "man/woman with a chip", meaning the same thing, let alone "talking / giving speechs" about such things -- it was always kind of the most straight thing: you knock it off, I make you a new face :)

BTW I've seen that very same scene be enacted in countless tales, movies and such; I don't think it's exclusively an 'olden days' thing.

Edited by mrwarper on 26 October 2011 at 1:35pm

This discussion contains 50 messages over 7 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 57  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version