Joined 5146 days ago

4143 posts - 8864 votes 
Speaks: Norwegian*, Spanish, Swedish, French, English, German, Italian
Studies: Russian

Message 33 of 50
25 October 2011 at 4:53pm | IP Logged 
Arekkusu wrote:
Solfrid Cristin wrote:
Does one tell all the people at work of the opposite sex that you do not want a relationship with them? No you don't, because they would think you were mad or conceited. Few people go there to seek a relationship, some find it even so.

Did I tell all the guys at my Polish coure that I did not want a relationship with them? Nope, even though I did absolutely not want that. Have been married to one of them for almost 17 years all the same. Life is full of surprises. Isn't that half the fun? :-)

Women do not hesitate to get a job or take a class because men might be there. The premise of this thread is that they often hestitate to seek a language partner for that very reason. You aren't comparing equal things, and I'm sure you know it. It's still pretty simple -- if you are entering a language exchange with a member of the opposite sex and it worries you, make it clear from the start. It would personally not offend me at all.

You are right that there is a difference, I had not thought of it from that angle.

Still don't think I will go: "Hi, I am Cristina, your new language partner, and I don't want a relationship with you". You may be man enough not to be offended by that, Arekkusu, but I bet most men would have been very uncomfortable at such a start. Hell, I would have been uncomfortable if a man said that to me, even if he was the last man on the planet I would have considered dating.
1 person has voted this message useful

mrwarper
Diglot
Winner TAC 2012
Spain
forum_posts.asp?TID=Registered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 5038 days ago

1493 posts - 2500 votes 
Speaks: Spanish*, EnglishC2
Studies: German, Russian, Japanese

Message 34 of 50
25 October 2011 at 5:18pm | IP Logged 
Solfrid Cristin wrote:
I would have been uncomfortable if a man said that to me, even if he was the last man on the planet I would have considered dating.

Exactly, it'd be one of those WTF?!? moments. In the same vein, central to the thread so far, a German girl once sent me a message along the lines of 'I don't want to go on with this because I think you are/were trying to hit it on me. It's always the same with men.' After the inevitable WTF moment I concluded that either I must have soid/done something to break some cultural tabu or something, or she was nuts. Fortunately another German female friend of mine with whom I discussed the case quickly dispelled my doubt: she probably was nuts. But hey, isn't spotting them nuts half the fun? ;)

Arekkusu
Hexaglot
Canada
bit.ly/qc_10_lec
Joined 5193 days ago

3971 posts - 7747 votes 
Speaks: English, French*, GermanC1, Spanish, Japanese, Esperanto
Studies: Italian, Norwegian, Mandarin, Romanian, Estonian

Message 35 of 50
25 October 2011 at 5:29pm | IP Logged 
"Before we begin working together, I have to be clear on one point though: I've had negative experiences in the past with male language partners who were looking for romantic relationships, so I feel it's important to make it clear from the start that I'm not looking for romance, but for a language partner."

There. Is that a "WTF?!? moment"? It's a heck of a lot better than "I refuse to work with you because you are a man".

leosmith
United States
Joined 6362 days ago

2365 posts - 3804 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Tagalog

Message 36 of 50
25 October 2011 at 5:38pm | IP Logged 
Arekkusu wrote:
"Before we begin working together, I have to be clear on one point though: I've had negative
experiences in the past with male language partners who were looking for romantic relationships, so I feel it's
important to make it clear from the start that I'm not looking for romance, but for a language partner."

There. Is that a "WTF?!? moment"?

I'd drop her in favor of someone without a chip, unless nobody else was available.

Arekkusu
Hexaglot
Canada
bit.ly/qc_10_lec
Joined 5193 days ago

3971 posts - 7747 votes 

Message 37 of 50
25 October 2011 at 5:51pm | IP Logged 
leosmith wrote:
Arekkusu wrote:
"Before we begin working together, I have to be clear on one point though: I've had negative
experiences in the past with male language partners who were looking for romantic relationships, so I feel it's
important to make it clear from the start that I'm not looking for romance, but for a language partner."

There. Is that a "WTF?!? moment"?

I'd drop her in favor of someone without a chip, unless nobody else was available.

I'd rather be told that than wait forever because no woman dares answer my ad. Solfrid started this thread not because she "has a chip", but because it's a real concern for many women.

Edited by Arekkusu on 25 October 2011 at 6:10pm

mrwarper
Diglot
Winner TAC 2012
Spain
forum_posts.asp?TID=Registered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 5038 days ago

1493 posts - 2500 votes 
Speaks: Spanish*, EnglishC2
Studies: German, Russian, Japanese

Message 38 of 50
25 October 2011 at 5:57pm | IP Logged 
Arekkusu wrote:
"Before we begin working together, ... I've had negative experiences ... so I feel it's important to make it clear from the start...."

There. Is that a "WTF?!? moment"? It's a heck of a lot better than "I refuse to work with you because you are a man".

That's not WTF. It's exactly what I'd expect from someone reasonable: you'll be doing something that can come across as weird, but you have a reason for that, so you state it.

It's doing weird things out of the blue what triggers WTF reactions. We all should realize that just as other's motives to their actions may not be clear to us, ours might not be clear to them either. I think It's better to always try and clarify first.

leosmith
United States
Joined 6362 days ago

2365 posts - 3804 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Tagalog

Message 39 of 50
25 October 2011 at 5:59pm | IP Logged 
Arekkusu wrote:
I'd rather be told that than wait forever become no woman dares answer my ad. Solfrid started
this thread not because she "has a chip", but because it's a real concern for many women.

I agree with Solfrid that the solution isn't to give a speech about not wanting to get involved. I've had hundreds of
language partners, and nobody ever gave me such a warning. If nobody answers your ad, you need to rewrite it.

Arekkusu
Hexaglot
Canada
bit.ly/qc_10_lec
Joined 5193 days ago

3971 posts - 7747 votes 

Message 40 of 50
25 October 2011 at 6:10pm | IP Logged 
leosmith wrote:
Arekkusu wrote:
I'd rather be told that than wait forever become no woman dares answer my ad. Solfrid started
this thread not because she "has a chip", but because it's a real concern for many women.

I agree with Solfrid that the solution isn't to give a speech about not wanting to get involved. I've had hundreds of
language partners, and nobody ever gave me such a warning. If nobody answers your ad, you need to rewrite it.

I suppose it's a matter of luxury. I live in a city where potential partners are hard to come by. Almost all of my female partners commented at some point (after several meetings) that they had initially hesitated before answering, and it's certainly not because of my ad - 1) they said the same thing although none of them answered the same ad, 2) I tend to be quite precise about the type of exchange it will be and how motivated I am to learn, so I highly doubt I came across as a high risk.

Nevertheless, I have no idea how many women didn't answer because they'd prefer to meet a woman. If your ultimate point is that this is those women's problem and I shouldn't waste time fretting over it, then I agree, but being a man still reduces my chances of finding a partner and I wish that weren't the case, so I'd gladly take any speech about whatever chip they may have on their shoulders.

This discussion contains 50 messages over 7 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 46 7  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version