Norway
Joined 5146 days ago

4143 posts - 8864 votes 
Speaks: Norwegian*, Spanish, Swedish, French, English, German, Italian
Studies: Russian

Message 17 of 50
19 October 2011 at 6:52pm | IP Logged 
Arekkusu wrote:

At the same time, let's not hide our heads in the sand -- it's easy for a woman to say that she isn't interested in a romantic relationship AFTER she's realized that she isn't attracted to the guy. A single woman could well be interested in a romantic relationship if she happens to be attracted to the guy, so it's kind of easy to pin this on guys. Maybe we're just less choosy.

But if a woman has the desire to seek a language partner and has no desire for a romantic relationship, why not come forth and say it right off the bat? If the guy is really interested in a language relationship, he won't mind -- and if he was looking for more, you'll know right away. This should avoid some of the potential misunderstandings.

It is a good thought, but the thing is that that would entail that you take a non changable stand in beforehand: Yes, I want a relationship with whoever happens to become my language partner, or no, there is no way that I will become involved with my next language partner, even if he happens to be the man of my dreams. Plus, I think most girls would be uncomfortable at starting a language exchange with: Oh, and by the way, I do not want a relationship with you.

In my experience your position depends 100% on who you meet, and it can change before you know it. I have twice been in a language exchange situation, once with a German and once with an Italian. Both times I had no intention whatsoever of getting romantically involved, and was not even remotely attracted to them when I first met them based on physical appearence only. The thing is that people tend to grow on you once you get to know them. I almost ended up married to one of them, and if it had not been for the fact that we were both very shy, the other one might have been just as likely a candidate as things turned out.

Life tends to be complicated, and the only solution as far as I am concerned is to be nice to everyone, but modify your behavior the moment you see that you are misinterpreted - and that is an advice which goes for both genders.

2 persons have voted this message useful

mrwarper
Diglot
Winner TAC 2012
Spain
forum_posts.asp?TID=Registered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 5038 days ago

1493 posts - 2500 votes 
Speaks: Spanish*, EnglishC2
Studies: German, Russian, Japanese

Message 18 of 50
19 October 2011 at 7:09pm | IP Logged 
Solfrid Cristin wrote:
...Life tends to be complicated, and the only solution as far as I am concerned is to be nice to everyone, but modify your behavior the moment you see that you are misinterpreted...

I'm curious about what you mean exactly... I would agree with you as long as 'modifying your behavior' doesn't imply to stop being nice. If you're misinterpreted why not just clarify while still being nice?

Unless violent behavior arises, being not nice or plain uncivil always plays against you as much as it plays against others. People could call you names, and I'd say they'd be right.

Edited by mrwarper on 19 October 2011 at 7:10pm

1 person has voted this message useful

Solfrid Cristin
Heptaglot
Winner TAC 2011 & 2012
Norway
Joined 5146 days ago

4143 posts - 8864 votes 
Speaks: Norwegian*, Spanish, Swedish, French, English, German, Italian
Studies: Russian

Message 19 of 50
19 October 2011 at 7:25pm | IP Logged 
Solfrid Cristin wrote:

This problem does get a bit better when you get older, but what I learned was to be allert all the time to any misinterpretations of my actions, and then modify my behaviour immediately. It doesn't have to be anything drastic, just smile a bit less, talk more to other people, avoid being alone with that person, just minor changes that let you both save your face.

I do not often quote myself, but I found it appropriate to do so now. What were the names you thought I merited?

mrwarper
Diglot
Winner TAC 2012
Spain
Joined 5038 days ago

1493 posts - 2500 votes 

Message 20 of 50
19 October 2011 at 8:23pm | IP Logged 
Solfrid Cristin wrote:
Solfrid Cristin wrote:

I do not often quote myself, but I found it appropriate to do so now.

And rightfully so. Question answered :)

Quote:
What were the names you thought I merited?

I hope you didn't take personally, because I didn't mean "you, Solfrid Cristin" but "you" in the sense of any person who stops being nice (my interpretation, the one I asked clarification for) just because someone misinterpreted his/her being nice. I've been called names for that, and it wasn't entirely unjustified.

It's been long since I always try to keep a distance for a long time when I meet anyone new. I'm often dubbed overly formal, distant, and even hostile sometimes, but I think there's always time to get closer to those who are really worth the effort. Interestingly enough, sometimes it seems you only get one kind of name calling replaced with another :)

wrt to actual name calling... don't we have enough ideas already? ;)

patuco
Diglot
Gibraltar
Joined 6827 days ago

3795 posts - 4268 votes 
Speaks: Spanish, English*
Personal Language Map

Message 21 of 50
22 October 2011 at 12:09am | IP Logged 
Reading through this thread makes me glad that I can rarely be bothered to talk to other people in their native languages, especially women.

That's the best thing about a book: it doesn't think that you're trying to get frisky just because you hold it and caress it's spine :)
7 persons have voted this message useful

Bao
Diglot
Germany
tinyurl.com/pe4kqe5
Joined 5578 days ago

2256 posts - 4046 votes 
Speaks: German*, English
Studies: French, Spanish, Japanese, Mandarin

Message 22 of 50
22 October 2011 at 12:20am | IP Logged 
patuco wrote:
That's the best thing about a book: it doesn't think that you're trying to get frisky just because you hold it and caress it's spine :)

You just don't know how to read the signals!
3 persons have voted this message useful

mrwarper
Diglot
Winner TAC 2012
Spain
Joined 5038 days ago

1493 posts - 2500 votes 

Message 23 of 50
22 October 2011 at 12:25am | IP Logged 
patuco wrote:
best thing about a book: it doesn't think that you're trying to get
frisky just because you hold it and caress it's spine :)

So that's what you do to them, uh? Well, good to know! ;)

patuco
Diglot
Gibraltar
Joined 6827 days ago

3795 posts - 4268 votes 
Speaks: Spanish, English*
Personal Language Map

Message 24 of 50
22 October 2011 at 3:16pm | IP Logged 
Bao wrote:
You just don't know how to read the signals!

I was never very good at that with women, let alone an inanimate object.

mrwarper wrote:
So that's what you do to them, uh? Well, good to know! ;)

You mean, you don't? And I thought you were a true language nerd... :)

This discussion contains 50 messages over 7 pages: << Prev 1 24 5 6 7  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version