Joined 4997 days ago

142 posts - 248 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish*, Japanese
Studies: Korean, Portuguese

Message 41 of 1702
12 June 2011 at 8:29pm | IP Logged 
Adodger wrote:
reading and understanding Japanese is
easier with knowledge of both hirigana and kanji.

I think that reading and understanding Japanese is impossible until you learn
kanji. Yes, learning hiragana is easy, and it makes people feel like "yay! I can read
Japanese now! If only I didn't have to learn those pesky kanji, this would be so easy!"
But that is only because they don't have experience actually reading real Japanese, so
they don't understand how much easier it is to read something written normally with
kanji.

Kraemder, in a year or two (depending on how fast you learn) you'll understand what
we're telling you about kanji. Just make sure to start reading as soon as you can,
instead of putting it off for later; it's possible to learn a lot of kanji and still
not feel comfortable reading because of a lack of experience.
4 persons have voted this message useful

Adodger
Diglot
United States
Joined 4704 days ago

5 posts - 9 votes
Speaks: English*, Japanese
Studies: Spanish

Message 42 of 1702
12 June 2011 at 10:42pm | IP Logged 
The Real CZ wrote:
Japanese uses no spaces. So if the text were in all hiragana the
chance for misunderstanding/misreading something is very high.

I understand where you two are coming from. All of us have been there. Once you learn
more Japanese you'll appreciate kanji.

I am fluent and I do know in excess of 1,500 kanji. My question was about it seeming
like you were implying that learning hirigana is harder than learning kanji, which is
almost impossible to comprehend. And what I take from your responses is that you did not
mean that it is harder to learn, but that having only a grasp of hirigana makes
understanding Japanese much harder than if you also know kanjji. Two separate issues and
I agree with you.
1 person has voted this message useful

kraemder
United StatesRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 4974 days ago

1497 posts - 1648 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: German, Spanish, Japanese

Message 43 of 1702
13 June 2011 at 12:53am | IP Logged 
The Real CZ wrote:
Japanese uses no spaces. So if the text were in all hiragana the chance for misunderstanding/misreading something is very high.

I understand where you two are coming from. All of us have been there. Once you learn more Japanese you'll appreciate kanji.

Yeah I was thinking about this. It's the only reason that I can think of that one would be thankful for kanji - no spaces. With Kanji your brain has a fighting chance to separate out the words from each other.

I was making some flashcards for my ipad app and the TTS Neospeech voice that comes free with it does HUGE pauses for spaces (sounds awesome though). I wanted to make flashcards for full sentences used in the Assimil course book I got so did hirigana without the spaces. The cards sounded great - and I couldn't read the darn hirigana to save my life LOL. When using the flash cards I totally had to rely on the TTS to understand what I was looking at.

Even in English, reading a wall of text without any spaces is annoying. In my ideal world the Japanese would learn to use the space bar in addition to using phonetic alphabets.

Adodger
Diglot
United States
Joined 4704 days ago

5 posts - 9 votes
Speaks: English*, Japanese
Studies: Spanish

Message 44 of 1702
14 June 2011 at 1:25am | IP Logged 
kraemder wrote:
The Real CZ wrote:
Japanese uses no spaces. So if the text were in
all hiragana the chance for misunderstanding/misreading something is very high.

I understand where you two are coming from. All of us have been there. Once you learn
more Japanese you'll appreciate kanji.

Yeah I was thinking about this. It's the only reason that I can think of that one
would be thankful for kanji - no spaces. With Kanji your brain has a fighting chance
to separate out the words from each other.

I was making some flashcards for my ipad app and the TTS Neospeech voice that comes
free with it does HUGE pauses for spaces (sounds awesome though). I wanted to make
flashcards for full sentences used in the Assimil course book I got so did hirigana
without the spaces. The cards sounded great - and I couldn't read the darn hirigana to
save my life LOL. When using the flash cards I totally had to rely on the TTS to
understand what I was looking at.

Even in English, reading a wall of text without any spaces is annoying. In my ideal
world the Japanese would learn to use the space bar in addition to using phonetic
alphabets.

Some actually do. In most published or public writing you'll see no spaces. But I know
that in emailing and texting Japanese people, some seem to like using spaces. Also
realize that's only hard while you're learning it. If you can command the vocabulary
to the point that you don't have to look up words because you know it when you hear it
or see it, you can read it with no spaces too. Think about some random language you
know nothing of. If someone speaks it at normal speed at you, you'll not know where any
of the words began and ended. But think about English now. You simply know about every
practical word imaginable and you'll recognize it immediately. Now think about someone
writing English with no spaces. You might have to slow down or focus more, but you'll
know where all the words are. I doubt you'd see "Hellomycatisstuckinthetree" and wonder
if you should be looking up "tisstuck" or not. If we used no spaces all the time, we'd
be used to it and go much faster with it.

Makes me wonder how hard it is for other non-english speakers to get a solid hold on
most of the English homonyms. Cuz we don't use pictures or symbols :)

One more note. There is some sentiment in Japan to convert completely to hirigana and
katakana. Even native speakers can understand that an alphabet is way easier to use.
2 persons have voted this message useful

kraemder
Joined 4974 days ago

1497 posts - 1648 votes 

Message 45 of 1702
14 June 2011 at 1:39am | IP Logged 
Quote:
I doubt you'd see "Hellomycatisstuckinthetree" and wonder
if you should be looking up "tisstuck" or not. If we used no spaces all the time, we'd
be used to it and go much faster with it.

It gives me eye strain to read that even if I don't have to reach for a dictionary O.o

I agree that it will get easier but it still seems like they're making it unnecessarily harder. Why make reading into a word search challenge?

Nothing I can do about it I guess. I might rely on my computer's TTS abilities a lot with this language. We'll see.

kraemder
Joined 4974 days ago

1497 posts - 1648 votes 

Message 46 of 1702
14 June 2011 at 1:53am | IP Logged 
Well I'm diving into Kanji now. guess it took nearly two months (?) for this to happen. I'm basically making all my flash cards using the kanji versions of words instead of hiragana/romaji. IE the spelling used in actual Japanese texts. I'm using Flashcard Deluxe for ipad/ipod software and its TTS feature. As I just got Assimil recently and seem to like it more than my other material (at the moment) I'm making the flashcards based on that. Unfortunately it doesn't have vocabulary on a chapter by chapter basis, just a glossary at the end of the book. It seems there's roughly 1000 words in this glossary.

As I like flashcards and I find it frustrating to study a dialogue when I don't know all the vocabulary, I'm attacking that glossary head on. I am about 3/5 of the way through so far. To make the flashcards with the appropriate kanji I'm typing out the hiragana at http://jisho.org/words/ (a nice online dictionary) and cutting/pasting the kanji into my spreadsheet along with whichever English definition seems better - Assimil or theirs.

In the flashcard app the TTS reads the kanji to me (automatically when it comes up) and then if I know the English I give myself a pass. I do have the option of making the audio not play automatically if I want to test myself on knowing the pronunciation of the kanji. I haven't done that yet as all these words are new and I'm going through quite a lot at once at the moment.

As I expected, I am able to "learn" the Japanese much faster with the kanji instead of the hiragana/romaji. Phonetic alphabets don't lend themselves to visual learning but Kanji does a lot. I had feared this would actually hinder my learning the actual sounds of the Japanese words but maybe that was silly. We'll see. I will say I like blowing through a stack of new cards in like 1/2 the time it took before. Maybe even faster depending on how much I focus. It's like I just have to see the kanji/jap audio side once and the next time either the audio or the kanji will trigger for me and I'll know the English.

If this works out well I'll really be kicking myself for not doing it sooner. I will say I'm a bit excited about learning the actual written language so that I can start reading stuff I've studied. With just the Hiragana spelling I wasn't able to read but a handful of words which was pretty frustrating.

kraemder
Joined 4974 days ago

1497 posts - 1648 votes 

Message 47 of 1702
14 June 2011 at 11:00pm | IP Logged 
I spent the better part of the weekend making flash cards. I hate making flash cards like that where I
basically take someone else's list and manually enter it. I feel like there should be a faster way as in I
should be able to download it. One reason why it took so long was that I had to enter romaji into the a
website that would pump out the kanji. Assimil uses kanji in their lists but I can't type it so darn.

The flash cards work well. I didn't copy the hiragana so I have trust the TTS is saying it right. I'm pretty
confident in it though. I was whining about spacing in a previous post but there's a website that will put the
spaces in for you along with furigana for every word. This obviously helps tons. I think it gets a little space
happy though putting spaces when letters should be part of the word still but I'm not skilled enough enough
to really be sure and in fact I would trust it over me for that reason. The furigana can be either romaji or
hiragana to make stuff even easier. I'm still not skilled enough to handle that though. Im trying to download
vocabulary into my brain as fast as possible but im still having to look up nearly all the words.

kraemder
Joined 4974 days ago

1497 posts - 1648 votes 

Message 48 of 1702
17 June 2011 at 5:53am | IP Logged 
Well I'm thinking of trying the Listening Reading method. I haven't read up on the details for this in a while (I think it's in wiki?) but I am not sure if it would be very effective with a language like Japanese where the alphabet isn't phonetic but rather well.. kanji.. strange mysterious stick figures and random other lines instead of real letters.

I'm curious if anyone has used this method effectively with either Japanese or Chinese.

I could of course use a converter to convert all the kanji into hiragana which might be better for L+R. I might try this this weekend and see how it goes - unsure if I would convert the text to hiragana or not.

This discussion contains 1702 messages over 213 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 57 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 101 102 103 104 105 106 107 108 109 110 111 112 113 114 115 116 117 118 119 120 121 122 123 124 125 126 127 128 129 130 131 132 133 134 135 136 137 138 139 140 141 142 143 144 145 146 147 148 149 150 151 152 153 154 155 156 157 158 159 160 161 162 163 164 165 166 167 168 169 170 171 172 173 174 175 176 177 178 179 180 181 182 183 184 185 186 187 188 189 190 191 192 193 194 195 196 197 198 199 200 201 202 203 204 205 206 207 208 209 210 211 212 213  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version