Tetraglot
ChinaRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 5665 days ago

1622 posts - 2299 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish, Mandarin, Esperanto
Studies: Basque

Message 257 of 271
10 May 2014 at 2:00am | IP Logged 
I just heard about Rodolfo Walsh a few days ago in "Las venas abiertas de América Latina". Thanks to the link to the video, i was curious what exactly they had written.

I've also enjoyed a lot of Osvaldo Bayer's works and will probably be reading a few of them for the Super Challenge. Have you seen the film based on the book? Osvaldo Bayer also put together a collection of anarchist songs called "Los Anarquistas - 1904-1936 : Marchas y canciones de lucha de los obreros anarquistas argentinos". (Someone put together a version without the commentary here.)

Along a similar vein, there were quite a few "payadores libertarios" in the early part of the 20th century in South America. Some, like Carlos Molina and Martín Castro, published compilations of their songs and poems. Unfortunately, i've searched for a couple years now but have yet to find evidence of these in print.

EDIT: If you're interested, i just found that there is quite a bit of Molina's material available on the site i posted before, including what appear to be two of their books. I'm still in the process of downloading it. :)

Edited by Crush on 10 May 2014 at 3:08am

2 persons have voted this message useful

dbag
United Kingdom
Joined 4822 days ago

605 posts - 1046 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Spanish

Message 258 of 271
16 May 2014 at 12:35am | IP Logged 
Thanks for those links crush! Some of those songs are beautiful! I love the voice of the narrator. I haven't watched the whole film yet, although I have watched large parts of it several times. I love it.
Have you ever watched Mundo Bayer? you might like it, I haven't had time to go through the series yet.

How did you like Las Venas Abiertas de America Latina? Obviously, I had heard of it before, although I didn't know much about it. Having googled it, I decided to buy it immediately! That's exactly the kind of thing I want to be using my Spanish to read, it looks superb.

In fact, there's a few suggestions of yours that I'm particularly keen to read, although I'm trying to get a few more thousand pages under my belt first so that I enjoy them more when the time comes.

These are the previously mentioned La Patagonia Rebelde by Osvaldo Bayer, the Laberinto mágico cycle of books about the Spanish civil war by Max Aub, and the saga of novels which start with El misterio de la cripta embrujada by Eduardo Mendoza.

This week I finished Espia de Dios by Juan Gomez-Jurado and started Contrato con dios by the same author. I also have his Leyenda del ladron sitting on the shelf ready. I'm going to look for more standard bestseller type books like this, which are not too hard to read and keep you turning the pages.

I forgot to mention that I now have the Sunday edition of El Pais delivered. Like all Sunday papers, it is large and comes with supplemental magazines which give me short, interesting articles to read when the desire takes me.

I have also re started EL Capo 2 and should be finished with the series soon, and I see that they have already released over 30 episodes of El Capo 3.
1 person has voted this message useful

Crush
Tetraglot
Joined 5665 days ago

1622 posts - 2299 votes 

Message 259 of 271
17 May 2014 at 4:16am | IP Logged 
I'd never even heard of Mundo Bayer, thanks for mentioning it! I'll definitely start watching it soon.

I thought Las venas abiertas... was great, though while not exactly surprising it could be really depressing at times. It's something i'll probably end up reading through again.

dbag
United Kingdom
Joined 4822 days ago

605 posts - 1046 votes 

Message 260 of 271
28 May 2014 at 10:11am | IP Logged 
Crush, Canal Encuentro also have a couple of programs featuring Eduardo galeano : la vida segun Galeano and Los dia de Galeano which you may like.

Canal Encuentro is great for this kind of stuff. This program Re-emergencia indigena for example, was really interesting, featured both Osvaldo Bayer and Eduardo Galeano, and even has optional subtitles.

I have started Las Venas Abiertas de America Latina, and am reading it in small chunks alongside my fiction. I am actually finding it really quite difficult. Long paragraphs, smallish print and a ton of words that I don't know. I think I might have to make some wordlists at some point and make a few passes through the book.

I am a few pages of finishing Contrato de dios. It has completely failed to capture my attention, not at all like Espia de dios by the same author.

I have also started 97 segundos which looks like it is going to be a good easy read.

I also found a great series from Andalusia's Canal Sur : flaman which seems like a tongue in cheek cross between heroes and the film kick ass. I have only watched a little so far but really enjoyed it.

I did want to get some speaking practice in prior to my trip to Seville, but I won't have time for that now, as I have booked 4 days in Lisbon next weekend, so I am going to be really busy all month. One of my Monday shifts got cancelled which left me with a four day window. This means I get to go away and not eat into my holiday allowance. I had no idea how fantastic lisbon looked either : Madrilenos por el mundo: Lisboa

dbag
United Kingdom
Joined 4822 days ago

605 posts - 1046 votes 

Message 261 of 271
03 June 2014 at 11:20pm | IP Logged 
I have been really busy the last few days, so I have only read a few pages of 97 segundos, a few articles here and there, and some odd watching/ listening. The nice thing about my Spanish now is that I am in such a habit of just browsing through native content that it just comes naturally, and I don't even think about it as work. In fact, I haven't "worked" on my Spanish for some time now.

Unlike some people though, I really think it will be necessary to re-start working on it hard if I want to take it to the next level.

I have been thinking about learning another language on the side for a long time now. I think I could afford, say, a regular 30 minutes a day to pick up the fundamentals of a language in an easy manner, just casually working through an Assimil course.

I think that I would be happy to just pick up a strong conversational level in a new language- my experience with Spanish has convinced me that I could get to a B1\B2 level in a language relatively easily, and that I just don't have the time to take more than one language beyond C1, at least for the time being.

I am going to be cramming some Portuguese prior to my trip to Lisbon at the weekend. I have looked into the language several times before and have solid plans to study it one day, not least because many of the Brazilians I have met have been some of the most amazing people ever.

Portuguese seems very accessible, although at the moment I don't see how I am going to avoid falling back into Spanish, which apparently doesn't go down well at all.

(Sorry for the rambling nature of this post- I have been burning the candle at both ends and can't think straight!)

James29
Diglot
United States
Joined 5175 days ago

1265 posts - 2113 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish
Studies: French

Message 262 of 271
04 June 2014 at 2:43am | IP Logged 
You are right about it being nice to just "relax" with the language... browsing things in Spanish or watching a TV show, etc. It's nice to get time in with Spanish and not have it feel like work/studying. It is frustrating, however, at the same time because it makes one realize how much hard work it takes to break through that plateau. Keep it up. I'm interested in seeing how you do with pushing the Spanish to the next level. Also, if you can get to a B1 level in Portuguese pretty quick that could prove as some motivation for some of us :)

dbag
United Kingdom
Joined 4822 days ago

605 posts - 1046 votes 

Message 263 of 271
30 June 2014 at 1:12am | IP Logged 
James, you are right. I think it would be very easy for one to stay at around this level for years. For me right now, I find that my level is very satisfying, but certainly not where I want it to be. I feel like the answer would be perhaps to work smarter, and actively attack my weaknesses.

As for Portuguese,well, after my trip to Lisbon I have decided that its not something I am going to pursue at the moment. The languages are just to similar, and I don't want to mix them up.

I am conscious that I haven't wrote in a while. Its been a busy month, with a short trip to Lisbon, work, and then an 8 day trip to Seville. I just got back from Seville, which was a lovely city, and I had some very positive feedback on my Spanish, which I will endeavor to write about at some point in the week.

Crush
Tetraglot
Joined 5665 days ago

1622 posts - 2299 votes 

Message 264 of 271
01 July 2014 at 12:01am | IP Logged 
I think if you still actively use your Spanish you aren't really going to mix them up. You might fall on Spanish when you don't know a Portuguese word, but in my experience studying related languages (Catalan, French, Italian) hasn't really impacted my Spanish, even when i spent more time with those languages than with Spanish. In the end i think it's more whether you think that language will hold your interest long enough for it to become a part of your routine like Spanish has.

Lately i've been looking up youtube videos on "ejercicios de logopedia" (praxias) and playing around with recording rap songs to work on my pronunciation. I'm not really sure that it's helping, but it's fun to do something different and it's probably better than doing nothing. Originally i started thinking about it after watching Idahosa's video on using rap to learn languages.

This discussion contains 271 messages over 34 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version