dbag
United Kingdom
Joined 4809 days ago

605 posts - 1046 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Spanish

Message 113 of 271
14 April 2012 at 4:01pm | IP Logged 
As it turned out, prices where only that expensive in Valencia because there was a
festival on. The festival is called Las Fallas, and it just so happened to be taking
place during the exact dates I was planning to be Valencia. I thought long and hard
about whether or not to spend the extra money required to visit the festival. It was
going to cost me just under €200 for about 5 days accommodation in a 4 bed dorm, which
is a lot.

In the end I decided to go for it, and wow, I'm so glad I did. This festival must be
one of the best kept secrets in Spain, if not Europe. I will definitely be going back
there at one point. I'll put some links and info up about it in a future post. At the
minute I'm writing this using a tablet, and I haven't worked out how to copy and paste
yet.

I would say in terms of speaking Spanish, my first week, in Barcelona and Valencia, was
the most successful and by far the most fun. At the airport I spent a while ear wigging
in on a conversation some young Spaniards where having, and was pleased to find that I
could follow most of it.

I had a good time in the taxi from the airport to the hostel, firing questions at the
driver. I was able to find out more about Las Fallas, and which train station I would
need to go to to get a train to Valencia.

I checked in without using English, and decided to ask a few random questions just to
get some practice in. Later on I was able to get some help as my key wouldn't work
properly, again using only Spanish.

It was quite late when I got there, so I decided to prop myself up in the nearest bar
and have a few beers. I managed to speak to the barman a little, but he didn't seem to
keen on speaking. When I got back I managed to find a TV station showing an American
film with Spanish subtitles which I watched for a while, which seems like a really good
way of picking things up. I fell asleep feeling pretty pleased with the way that things
where going.

4 persons have voted this message useful

dbag
United Kingdom
Joined 4809 days ago

605 posts - 1046 votes 

Message 114 of 271
15 April 2012 at 10:28pm | IP Logged 
Things went pretty well the next day as well. Getting directions to the station, buying
my ticket, understanding the various options available etc. Was a breeze.
I managed to strike up a conversation with a guy on the train as well. He gave my more
info on Las Fallas etc. This was probably an example of a situation I could have taken
more advantage of, by trying to speak all the way there (3 hrs). Don't get me wrong, I
did speak, but I felt quite tired so was content to just sit and watch the scenery,
which was quite attractive as the train follows the coast nearly all the way to
Valencia.

When I arrived at the station I could hardly move for all the people that where there.
There was a real carnival atmosphere, and I had to take a taxi to the hostel as I
couldn't push through the crowds with my backpack on.

This was my first time staying in dorm rooms on my own (I have done it with friends,
but that's different ) and I must say that I was a little skeptical at first. Seriously
though, if you do a little research beforehand then it really can be a Fantastic way to
travel.

After dropping my stuff off and getting settled in to my room, I went out to explore
the city. As nice as the city was, I actually got a little bored after a couple of
hours and even began to question my decision to go to Spain. I felt like walking around
cities on my own would soon become a very lonely endeavor.

Luckily, things shaped up pretty quickly once I got back to the hostel. I met an Aussie
guy who was staying in my room, who was going to be in Valencia for a long time as he
was buying a flat there with the intention of renting it out. He suggested we go to the
shared kitchen to share a few beers.

Once in the kitchen, he started chatting to some guy he knew, who I heard mention
something about Intercambios. It turned out that he was going to a language exchange
night in a bar somewhere in the city, that is held twice a week. Of course I explained
that I was in town looking for the same thing.

" well, you can come along if you like". Brilliant, when is it? "I'm leaving in 20
minutes".

The Aussie said he would tag along too, just for the hell of it, and so it was that I
found myself of on some adventure with a couple of strangers, on the first proper day
of my holiday.
1 person has voted this message useful

camdo2
United States
Joined 4462 days ago

26 posts - 32 votes

Message 115 of 271
16 April 2012 at 1:22am | IP Logged 
Wow, sounds like an awesome trip. How is hostelling around Spain? Is it good or is it odd?

James29
Diglot
United States
Joined 5162 days ago

1265 posts - 2113 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish
Studies: French

Message 116 of 271
16 April 2012 at 3:22am | IP Logged 
This is so motivating to read your posts. Recently I have been skyping with someone from Valencia and I have been hearing about Las Fallas... I am jealous that you got to experience the real thing. It is also encouraging to see how well you managed with your Spanish.
2 persons have voted this message useful

dbag
United Kingdom
Joined 4809 days ago

605 posts - 1046 votes 

Message 117 of 271
16 April 2012 at 10:58am | IP Logged 
camdo2 wrote:
Wow, sounds like an awesome trip. How is hostelling around Spain? Is it
good or is it odd?

Hostelling around Spain is fine. In fact its a brilliant way to meet people. I think
the best policy is to read the reviews on hostelworld. I generally don't stay anywhere
with less than a 80% rating, and I always read the worst reviews first.

Having said that, some people on there are ridiculously petty, and seem to expect 4
star comfort. So you need to take some of the ratings with a pinch of salt. Everywhere
I stayed was very clean, comfortable and safe, with the exception of a hostel in Madrid
which was a little grotty, although full of interesting people to meet.

One thing, I would never stay somewhere where I couldn't lock up my stuff, although I
doubt there's many places like that around nowadays.

If you were to go, you would find plenty of fellow Americans there, I guess they are
one of the most common nationalities to be encountered in Spain hostels.

dbag
United Kingdom
Joined 4809 days ago

605 posts - 1046 votes 

Message 118 of 271
17 April 2012 at 12:22am | IP Logged 
James29 wrote:
This is so motivating to read your posts. Recently I have been
skyping with someone from Valencia and I have been hearing about Las Fallas... I am
jealous that you got to experience the real thing. It is also encouraging to see how
well you managed with your Spanish.

Thanks James. I've been keeping up with your log to. Looks like it's true about things
getting a lot harder when you reach unit 47! Looks like that unit is quickly gaining
notoriety.

Edited by dbag on 17 April 2012 at 12:24am

dbag
United Kingdom
Joined 4809 days ago

605 posts - 1046 votes 

Message 119 of 271
18 April 2012 at 11:06am | IP Logged 
I've just booked a flight to Prague for next Tuesday, and will be in Eastern Europe for
a week or two from then on, so before continuing to relate my Spanish trip, I thought
I'd just log what I've been doing since I've got back.

I have read quite a few articles in El Pais. Still not the easiest thing in the world,
by I am trying to spend at least a little time each day with native materials, and it
is helping, all be it gradually.

I have also read nearly all of the intermediate readings from the cvc lectures Paso a
Paso Page. These are getting easier, and are improving my reading speed.

I read a 50 Page children's book cover to cover and understood the main themes (it does
have pictures though!)

I have been making sure I am comfortable with the Level 5 material. I don't want to
start on unit 36 which is the start of the subjunctive lessons, until I am reasonably
comfortable that I won't need too much review with the preceding material. I have done
some of the conversation stimulus sections, imperfectly, a few times. Half way through
unit 5, they get REALLY hard!

I am considering cutting them out until I do a review of the course. That way I can, at
least to an extent, internalize all of the main structures of the language in as
efficient as way as possible.

I seriously need to get some conversation exchange going, but have had a few problems
doing so. For example, I found out that skype is not available for the BlackBerry
Playbook, which is the tablet I have bought. Great.

At least you can talk through the tokbox function on lenguajero, although I have had a
few microphone set up issues.

I have also had people contact me, and then flake out, which is frustrating. I
can't wait till I've got these issues sorted, because my Spanish isn't really going to
progress properly until I have.

Edited by dbag on 18 April 2012 at 11:20pm

2 persons have voted this message useful

James29
Diglot
United States
Joined 5162 days ago

1265 posts - 2113 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish
Studies: French

Message 120 of 271
19 April 2012 at 3:16am | IP Logged 
sharedtalk is an option for conversation exchange. it is kind of hit or miss sometimes (some people are there more to socialize than learn a language), but whenever I log into the text chat room someone almost always immediately requests to chat with me. There are simply always a lot of people logged on and looking to do a language exchange.

3 persons have voted this message useful

This discussion contains 271 messages over 34 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version