dbag
United Kingdom
Joined 4823 days ago

605 posts - 1046 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Spanish

Message 121 of 271
19 April 2012 at 8:43pm | IP Logged 
Decided to start unit 36 yesterday, which is the start of the subjunctive. Pretty easy
unit really, I definitely feel comfortable to move on tomorrow.

Decided to leave the conversation stimulus's till a later date. I really just need to
go through those difficult tenses, and get the complete structure of the language
ingrained at a deep level.

The conversation stimulus offer extreme training in the language though, and will be an
essential tool on the road to fluency, but I just feel it's going to be much more
efficient to leave them for the moment.

So tomorrow its onwards and upwards to unit 37, and level 6.
1 person has voted this message useful

dbag
United Kingdom
Joined 4823 days ago

605 posts - 1046 votes 

Message 122 of 271
21 April 2012 at 2:10am | IP Logged 
Well, I think I am only just beginning to understand what a challenge the subjunctive
is going to be. There are just so many set phrases it is used after, and so many
variations. These are not slipping of the tongue naturally!

dbag
United Kingdom
Joined 4823 days ago

605 posts - 1046 votes 

Message 123 of 271
24 April 2012 at 12:45am | IP Logged 
Going to the Czech Republic tomorrow morning, so I'll have to give the drilling a rest
for a while, mores the pity. I will be taking a lot of listening material with
me though. This is a skill I seem to be making a lot of progress in. As they say,
practice makes perfect. BTW minor milestone the other day, I managed to watch a couple
of documentaries on RTVE the other day, and understand a lot of what was going on. I
just know that if I keep stabbing at it, eventually Il be able to watch stuff in
Spanish for enjoyment.
To this end I've sent Ive signed up to the Super Duper Challenge: 100 movies, 100
books, and 50 hours of conversation in the next 20 months, starting from May 1st.

I need to sleep, but I would have liked to write more, maybe in a few days.

James29
Diglot
United States
Joined 5176 days ago

1265 posts - 2113 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish
Studies: French

Message 124 of 271
24 April 2012 at 1:26am | IP Logged 
I just read the subjunctive chapter in Breaking out of Beginner's Spanish and I found it quite helpful. It explained it in a very practical way instead of a textbook way. If you have the book it may be worth it to read that chapter.

Have fun on your trip.
2 persons have voted this message useful

dbag
United Kingdom
Joined 4823 days ago

605 posts - 1046 votes 

Message 125 of 271
11 May 2012 at 6:31pm | IP Logged 
James29 wrote:
I just read the subjunctive chapter in Breaking out of Beginner's
Spanish and I found it quite helpful. It explained it in a very practical way instead
of a textbook way. If you have the book it may be worth it to read that chapter.

Have fun on your trip.

Hey thanks, I'll be sure to take a look at that tonight. I'm quite fond of that book
actually. Very good for dipping into in quiet moments.

dbag
United Kingdom
Joined 4823 days ago

605 posts - 1046 votes 

Message 126 of 271
11 May 2012 at 7:08pm | IP Logged 
Okay so I'm back from my trip, and super hyped up for learning Spanish. I actually
managed to use Spanish around every other day while I was in the Czech Republic and
Hungary, and I think I fared rather well.

Now,I am not a fan of guided walking tours, prefering to discover cities on my own, but
I decided to do a guided walking tour of Prague.... In Spanish! I didn't understand a
lot of it, but it gave me a few hours in the company of Spanish speaking peoples,
which was a great opportunity to get some practice in.

There where also two girls from Chile staying in my dorm in Budapest, Who I spoke to in
Spanish every chance I got. I would have spoke to them solely in Spanish, but there
where many more English speaking people in our informal “ group“ and as they both spoke
excellent English it would have been rude to speak Spanish ALL the time. I think I did
well though, and was rarely, if ever at a loss for words. I spoke to one of the girls
for an unbroken half hour as we walked up to the public baths, without any strain,
although using, I imagine, quite basic language.

Later on in a local club I met another Chilean girl who I spoke to for quite a long
time, which was great as I really felt like I was socializing in Spanish. Later the
same night, an American guy asked me if I spoke Spanish while I was sitting next to one
of the Chilean girls,to which I replied " a little". The Chilean girl chipped in and
said " no, you speak A LOT of Spanish"! To say I was over the moon to hear this would
be an understatement.

A couple of days later, on my last day, I heard a group of people speaking Spanish as
we where checking out of our hostel. I asked them where they where from (Alicante) and
had a very nice conversation with all of them (there where about ten of them) My
Spanish was actually a lot stronger than there English, which is unusual. They asked me
how long I had been studying, and where amazed that it had only been 18 months. It was
actually quite embarrassing as they kept speaking about it, and said they had been
studying English for 5 years and couldn't speak as well.

I relate this not to boast, as I really don't speak that well, but I think it is
important to celebrate these small victories. So needless to say I have had a massive
confidence boost, confirmation if you will that the hard work is worth it, and it is
with renewed enthusiasm that I push on.....

Edited by dbag on 11 May 2012 at 7:11pm

3 persons have voted this message useful

James29
Diglot
United States
Joined 5176 days ago

1265 posts - 2113 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish
Studies: French

Message 127 of 271
12 May 2012 at 11:47pm | IP Logged 
Those sound like huge victories. Congratulations. What a great trip. I tend to "freeze" when talking to strangers in Spanish... you are lucky to be able to chat with new people. Sounds like you had a lot of fun.
2 persons have voted this message useful

dbag
United Kingdom
Joined 4823 days ago

605 posts - 1046 votes 

Message 128 of 271
31 May 2012 at 7:06pm | IP Logged 
Thanks James. I must say though I always feel a little nervous beforehand, and
strangely, much more if I am with a friend than if I am alone.

So, a quick update on what I've been up to, then I had best move on with writing about
how I got on in Spain.

At the moment I am on unit 42 of plati, which is the last unit of level 6. I have also
revised all the previous units of level 6, except unit 41. I need to go through the
unit of suffixes 1 more time, for some reason despite being a very easy unit, the
responses don't come as naturally to me as those for the present subjunctive.

I find this reviewing of units to be incredibly useful, without it it seems like the
contents of a unit are just stored in my short term memory.
I have actually found the subjunctive quiet easy (although it will be much harder to
remember to use in practice) but unit 42 is really quiet hard.

I have also joined the super challenge, but I will update about that later.

In the last couple of days, I have done something I have been meaning to do since
Christmas, namely start working through the Programmatic workbook. I much prefer this
book to the pmp books I have, and I have been writing my answers out in full rather
than just filling in the blanks.

This discussion contains 271 messages over 34 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version