United Kingdom
Joined 4781 days ago

605 posts - 1046 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Spanish

Message 201 of 271
24 June 2013 at 12:03am | IP Logged 
Crush, thank you so much for all of those suggestions. Theres a lot of really
interesting stuff there. Do you have a particular interest in Anarchism? I do, so I'm
really interested in a lot of the books on your list.

I am particularly interested in reading " Breviario del pensamiento educativo
libertario", as I used to be a youthworker and have a real passion for alternative
education.
1 person has voted this message useful

dbag
United Kingdom
Joined 4781 days ago

605 posts - 1046 votes 

Message 202 of 271
24 June 2013 at 12:22am | IP Logged 
Just another short update as the laptop is being repaired so I'm back to using the damn
tablet, which is very awkward to write on.

I am still working myself to death, and 50 to 60 hour weeks have become the norm. This
has to stop pretty soon as somewhat predictably I am just making myself ill. The money
saving is going well though. I have a 50+ hour week coming up, followed by a light
week, and then another 50+. After that I am packing it in for a while and going back to
normal hours. I was going to book a short break in Europe but of course flights have
gone through the roof, as it will soon be peak season, so I will just have to wait a
while. I am thinking of taking a few days in Estonia, and getting the ferry to visit
Helsinki.

Spanish has really just conisisted of listening and watching interesting content. I am
up to episode 38 of El Capo. I can't believe that there are 90 episodes just in season
1. After that I will probably go straight to El Capo 2, and I see that El capo 3 is
coming out soon. That will keep me occupied for a while. I am also really looking
forward to Pablo Escobar- El Patron del Mal and Los tres Caines and of
course there is La reina del Sur to get back to.

I hope that at some point during working through all that, my comprehension of
telenovelas will reach 90+ %.

Listening is such a strange skill. There is so much native content that I can now
listen to as though it where English, but at the same time lots that is barely
penetrable.

Edited by dbag on 24 June 2013 at 12:23am

Crush
Tetraglot
ChinaRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 5624 days ago

1622 posts - 2299 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish, Mandarin, Esperanto
Studies: Basque

Message 203 of 271
24 June 2013 at 5:47am | IP Logged 
If you're interested in anarchism, Spanish is the perfect language. I just finished Antonio Téllez's "Sabaté: Guerrilla Urbana en España" recently. I also recently read Jean-Marc Rouillan's (of MIL, GARI, and Action Directe) autobiography (translated into Spanish) De memoria I and II.

If you're interested in "Free Schools" and such, definitely check out Francisco Ferrer's "La escuela moderna", i think you'll find how some of the short samples included by students (some only 7 years old) really quite amazing.

Another book that you might be interested in is "1945: Advenimiento del comunismo libertario" by Alfonso Martínez Rizo. It chronicles the moments up to the revolution and the implementation of "el comunismo libertario". It's not particularly literary, but it is interesting as one of the few straight up portrayals of anarchism in literature by an actual anarchist. An interesting note: it was written just a few years before the Spanish Civil War broke out.

Also, another translation (again from the French) that is well worth reading is "Las aventuras de Nono" (Les aventures de Nono) by Jean Grave, written i believe for Ferrer's Escuela moderna, it's a kid's novel contrasting a libertarian society with current society. It's really fun, i feel like you could compare it to a more explicitly anarchist Little Prince or Momo.

If you check out Virus Editorial, all of their books can be downloaded in .pdf format (look for the "prueba de lectura" link at the top) and a good number of books that they haven't edited as well.

There are also tons and tons of movies and documentaries which you might be interested, i've seen probably hundreds of documentaries on the Civil War, the makis, etc. Right now i've got a series put out by the History Channel running called "Las ilusiones perdidas", talking about the time after Franco took power and the resistance.

Other interesting movies with a libertario theme:
La patagonia rebelde
Cell 211
El viaje de Carol
El laberinto del fauno (you've probably already seen this)
Martín (Hache) (lots of really interesting dialog)
El patio de mi carcel
La ciutat cremada (La ciudad quemada) (about "La semana trágica" in Catalan, but i think the Spanish version is easier to find anyway)
Salvador (lots of people have complained about its accuracy/portrayal of the members of MIL and of the Franquist regime, but to be honest i thought it was interesting)
El corazón del bosque
La estrategia del caracol
...and of course Libertarias

Some documentaries i've seen:
Lucío
¿Porqué perdimos la guerra civil?
El vindicador
Casas viejas: un documental
Las guerras de Cipriano Mera
España inmediata: Los anarquistas
Viva la Escuela Moderna: documental sobre Ferrer i Guardia
Buenaventura Durruti, anarquista, documental TVE2
Anarquistas: Hijos del pueblo/Mártires y vindicadores (there are two parts)

I'd also highly recommend watching the TV series "Remi: el niño de nadie", translated/dubbed from Japanese but really moving and inspiring.

There's also a ton of interesting stuff in Catalan. And some other movies that aren't in Spanish but are interesting nonetheless are "La Cecilia" (a group of Italian anarchists form a commune in Brazil), "La Bande à Bonnot" (anarchist expropriators, famous for being the first to use cars as getaway vehicles), and the films based on the life of Jacques Mesrine, a famous French bank robber.
4 persons have voted this message useful

James29
Diglot
United States
Joined 5134 days ago

1265 posts - 2113 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish
Studies: French

Message 204 of 271
25 June 2013 at 1:30am | IP Logged 
Where are you watching El Capo? I am watching it on mundofox and I only see 75 or so episodes in the first season.

There is lots of good anarchocapitalista stuff available at anarchocapitalista.com

And tons of great libertarian material available at UFM's New Media.
3 persons have voted this message useful

dbag
United Kingdom
Joined 4781 days ago

605 posts - 1046 votes 

Message 205 of 271
26 June 2013 at 3:02pm | IP Logged 
James29 wrote:
Where are you watching El Capo? I am watching it on mundofox and I
only see 75 or so episodes in the first season.

There is lots of good anarchocapitalista stuff available at
anarchocapitalista.com

And tons of great libertarian material available at
UFM's New Media.

James, thats strange, as I am also watching it on Mundofox. If you look at the little
bar with all the videos on for series one, it has 90 of them, although I,m sure there
where less when I started watching the series. Perhaps some of them are the first
episodes of El Capo 2?

I must say I wish they organised the videos in a better way, its a real pain having to
click through every video from the end of the season just to get to the one you want to
watch, especially using a dysfunctional tablet. Earlier on in the series they also
skipped one of the most important episodes.

Incidentally, I have just watched episode 44 and am loving it. I am considering getting
a multi- region DVD player so I can enjoy stuff like this probably.

Thanks for those links, they are very interesting. I have to be very careful not to
turn this into a conversation about politics or economics or the mods will have
something to say, but for the sake of my conscience I should point out the Anarch-
capitalism bears no relation to other forms of Anarchism. You can read more about the
differences , in Spanish , title=Categoría:F_-_¿Es_el_anarco-capitalismo_un_tipo_ de_anarquismo?">here

Other than that I will get back to the topic of languages. I watched a few snippets of
"La Patagonia Rebelde" on youtube, and I must say the dialog was extremely clear. I
seem to do fairly well with Argentine accents, which is good as that was one of my
goals back in the day. I will probably watch that whole movie fairly soon.

I am glad that they use the "vos" conjugations in El Capo. I am in danger of
using "vos" as my default setting as I have been exposed to it so much. In fact it
seems to be used in so many important parts of the Spanish speaking world that I am
surprised that its use seems to be completly omitted from most learning materials.
2 persons have voted this message useful

Crush
Tetraglot
ChinaRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 5624 days ago

1622 posts - 2299 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish, Mandarin, Esperanto
Studies: Basque

Message 206 of 271
26 June 2013 at 3:39pm | IP Logged 
Probably because most people who study Spanish through English want to learn either standard Mexican or Peninsular Spanish. I wonder what the situation is for speakers of Brazilian Portuguese wanting to learn Spanish? I don't see any reason not to use the "vos" forms if you like them and feel more comfortable with them. Personally, i love how they sound, it sounds syncopated to me because i'm so used to the "tú" forms. Maybe that'd change if i spent some time in Argentina or Chile or someplace, though.

Btw, i don't know what sort of music you're into, but the band Folie à trois has some really interesting songs, spoken clearly but quickly. All their albums can be downloaded (gratis, por supuesto) from their site:
http://folieatrois.org/

I'd start with the older ones (from 2004) and work my way up. I never really listened to hip-hop/rap stuff until hearing them, since then i've found a few other groups but nothing that really compares to them, in my opinion.

Random review
Diglot
United Kingdom
Joined 5542 days ago

781 posts - 1310 votes 
Studies: Portuguese, Mandarin, Yiddish, German

Message 207 of 271
26 June 2013 at 4:31pm | IP Logged 
@dbag and James 29: this is a private log, I think the mods here usually exercise common sense and
so will be less bothered about political content than in a public thread. Speaking as
someone with very different political views, I am quite interested in your links and as it
happens am quite keen to learn about libertarianism at the moment. I only find political
discussion upsetting when it starts ridiculing my point of view and at no point
have you ridiculed anyone else's ideas. I think you should keep posting this stuff since
the resources are interesting and useful to politically conscious people learning
Spanish and as long as you confine it to your own private log and don't attack other
political stances (exactly as you are already doing), it won't lead to off-topic arguments
and my guess is that would be all that would bother the mods.

Edited by Random review on 26 June 2013 at 4:38pm

3 persons have voted this message useful

James29
Diglot
United States
Joined 5134 days ago

1265 posts - 2113 votes 
Studies: French

Message 208 of 271
26 June 2013 at 9:22pm | IP Logged 
Yes, I realized seconds after my post that you guys were probably not talking about anarchocapitalism. Sorry about that.

Edit: regarding El Capo, I have not watched it recently and, yes, you are right, they now have 90 episodes on the website. I think that is "part 1" and "part 2". They can be bought on Amazon on 10 total discs with 84 hours so that must be the same. And, I too find it very annoying to have to click through all those episodes to get to the one I want to watch.

Randomreview, there is TONS of good libertarian material out there in Spanish. I don't want to clog up dbag's log with links. I will post some in my log later sometime. If you want any suggestions let me know. I owe you some advice. I finally bought Cassell's Colloquial Spanish today (which you recommended to me a long time ago) and it looks amazing. Also, I don't know how good your German is, but if it is good I am jealous as you will be able to read the original libertarian treatises which were all written by Austrians.

Edited by James29 on 26 June 2013 at 9:26pm

This discussion contains 271 messages over 34 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version