Register  Login  Active Topics  Maps  

Moses McCormick’s admirable achievement

 Language Learning Forum : Lessons in Polyglottery Post Reply
221 messages over 28 pages: << Previous 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... 11 ... 27 28 Next >>
laoshu505000
Senior Member
United States
Joined 4294 days ago

121 posts - 231 votes 
Speaks: English*

 
 Message 81 of 221
18 November 2009 at 9:10am | IP Logged 
Shadow1984 wrote:
Hello Moses,
I just wanted to say that I am new to learning languages but you are a real inspiration! I have watched your youtube videos and that is how I found out about this site. Thank you for all of the tips that you have shared!


Hello,

Thank you for the support. I feel very happy that I've been somewhat helpful to you for learning foreign languages. If you ever have any questions, feel free to ask and I will get back to you ASAP. Take care and good luck with your studies.

Best

Moses McCormick
1 person has voted this message useful



NielDLR
Bilingual Diglot
Newbie
South Africa
thelinguaphile.com
Joined 3913 days ago

11 posts - 17 votes
Speaks: English*, Afrikaans*
Studies: Mandarin, French

 
 Message 82 of 221
07 January 2010 at 10:53pm | IP Logged 
Hey Moses!

You really are an inspiration. My first foreign language is also Mandarin. I was just
wondering, what was the most difficult language you studied? Is it even possible to
choose such a language?
1 person has voted this message useful



laoshu505000
Senior Member
United States
Joined 4294 days ago

121 posts - 231 votes 
Speaks: English*

 
 Message 83 of 221
09 January 2010 at 3:08am | IP Logged 
NielDLR wrote:
Hey Moses!

You really are an inspiration. My first foreign language is also Mandarin. I was just
wondering, what was the most difficult language you studied? Is it even possible to
choose such a language?


Hi there,

It's difficult for me to say which was the ''hardest'' language to learn overall since I look at each language by aspects. I would say that Vietnamese would be the hardest for me in terms of pronunciation. In terms of writing, I would say Chinese, Japanese and Thai. Grammar , I would say Arabic, Georgian and Russian.

I think all languages have their own aspect that makes the language difficult to learn.

How long have you been learning Chinese for?

Moses
1 person has voted this message useful



Po-ru
Diglot
Senior Member
United States
Joined 3958 days ago

173 posts - 235 votes 
Speaks: English*, Japanese
Studies: Korean, Spanish, Norwegian, Mandarin, French

 
 Message 84 of 221
11 January 2010 at 3:43pm | IP Logged 
Moses, I e-mailed you a while back and you never replied. I see your posting on here,
so I'll give it a shot here.

First, I want to say your a big motivation to me. I am 20 now and can only hope to be
as skilled as you are when I am your age.

Second, I was wondering how you approach a new language and how you go about learning.
For example, Dr.Arguelles goes with a systematic grammatical approach to learning
language, while Dr.Kaufman, focuses less on grammar and more on vocabulary. I was
wondering what your method for learning was, like how you approach a completely new
language. I know you mention you focus somewhat on phrase books but I am wondering if
there are any other materials you use or how you utilize the phrase books. If you've
answered this already please provide me with the link or video.

Thanks Moses

All the best
Paul
1 person has voted this message useful



laoshu505000
Senior Member
United States
Joined 4294 days ago

121 posts - 231 votes 
Speaks: English*

 
 Message 85 of 221
12 January 2010 at 11:07am | IP Logged 
Po-ru wrote:
Moses, I e-mailed you a while back and you never replied. I see your posting on here,
so I'll give it a shot here.

First, I want to say your a big motivation to me. I am 20 now and can only hope to be
as skilled as you are when I am your age.

Second, I was wondering how you approach a new language and how you go about learning.
For example, Dr.Arguelles goes with a systematic grammatical approach to learning
language, while Dr.Kaufman, focuses less on grammar and more on vocabulary. I was
wondering what your method for learning was, like how you approach a completely new
language. I know you mention you focus somewhat on phrase books but I am wondering if
there are any other materials you use or how you utilize the phrase books. If you've
answered this already please provide me with the link or video.

Thanks Moses

All the best
Paul


Hey,

I'm sorry for not responding to your message. I get like millions of messages almost everyday over on youtube and am unable to respond to them all. It's just not possible for me to do.

As far as my language approach, I plan to update my technique and post it here on the forums for everyone to see it. I'll try and have it up by sometime this weekend or before. Talk to you soon.

Best

Moses McCormick
1 person has voted this message useful



elvisrules
Tetraglot
Senior Member
BelgiumRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 3947 days ago

286 posts - 390 votes 
Speaks: French, English*, Dutch, Flemish
Studies: Lowland Scots, Japanese, German

 
 Message 86 of 221
12 January 2010 at 12:17pm | IP Logged 
Hi Moses,

I see you are learning Yoruba. I would really like to study the language to fluency and was wondering if you had any advice on learning the language. I didn't find an online Yoruba learning community and resources seem very scarce. Are there are resources you would recommend I purchase?

Thank you,

David
1 person has voted this message useful



laoshu505000
Senior Member
United States
Joined 4294 days ago

121 posts - 231 votes 
Speaks: English*

 
 Message 87 of 221
12 January 2010 at 2:27pm | IP Logged 
elvisrules wrote:
Hi Moses,

I see you are learning Yoruba. I would really like to study the language to fluency and was wondering if you had any advice on learning the language. I didn't find an online Yoruba learning community and resources seem very scarce. Are there are resources you would recommend I purchase?

Thank you,

David


Hi there,

I have a really good Yoruba coursebook and dicrionary which I haven't made a video about yet. I will make a video for you when I get back home from work.As far as online community, I have yet to find one myself unfortunately. Talk to you soon.



Moses McCormick
1 person has voted this message useful



elvisrules
Tetraglot
Senior Member
BelgiumRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 3947 days ago

286 posts - 390 votes 
Speaks: French, English*, Dutch, Flemish
Studies: Lowland Scots, Japanese, German

 
 Message 88 of 221
12 January 2010 at 11:12pm | IP Logged 
Great. I know there's a Yoruba Teach Yourself, but it's out of print. When I saw there was an FSI course available for free online I was quite excited, but unfortunately the audio files are always cut off after a few minutes only.


1 person has voted this message useful



This discussion contains 221 messages over 28 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28  Next >>


Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version

You cannot post new topics in this forum - You cannot reply to topics in this forum - You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum - You cannot create polls in this forum - You cannot vote in polls in this forum


This page was generated in 0.3438 seconds.


DHTML Menu By Milonic JavaScript
Copyright 2020 FX Micheloud - All rights reserved
No part of this website may be copied by any means without my written authorization.