Canada
Joined 5406 days ago

24 posts - 24 votes
Studies: French, English*

Message 73 of 221
13 August 2009 at 6:18am | IP Logged 
Fasulye wrote:
As I have a You Tube account myself, I just communicate with Moses
directly on You Tube. That's the most natural way. Moses is very cooperative. He takes
comments and questions seriously and gives a lot of useful suggestions concerning
language learning. It's a two-way communication. I appreciate this kind of polyglot
exchange very much. To communicate with him on You Tube you have to register there.

Fasulye

Once you find out more on his learning style would you or Moses be so kind as to
relay the info back to us? I would find it very interesting. I know Moses videos have
lots of info on this already but sadly i have no speakers for the foreseeable future.

Edited by AlejandroMendoz on 13 August 2009 at 6:34am

1 person has voted this message useful

Splog
Diglot
Czech Republic
anthonylauder.c
Joined 5450 days ago

1062 posts - 3263 votes 
Speaks: English*, Czech
Studies: Mandarin

Message 74 of 221
13 August 2009 at 10:27am | IP Logged 
AlejandroMendoz wrote:

Once you find out more on his learning style would you or Moses be so kind as to
relay the info back to us? I would find it very interesting. I know Moses videos have
lots of info on this already but sadly i have no speakers for the foreseeable future.

Here is my own understanding of his Moses's approach, at least as I can tell from his videos:

1: Moses tends to study four languages at a time. Each one is studied every second day for three hours. During any one day, then, there is a total of six hours studying.
2: Work with a book from the "Teach Yourself" series and a phrasebook from the "Lonely Planet" series. Supplement these with bi-directional Oxford dictionaries, and (in some cases) a highly regarded grammar book.
3. Listen to the recordings that come with the Teach Yourself series many times and focus very much on mimicking the accent.
4: Study these books intensely, continually evaluating what is going to be useful in real life conversations, and what to reject as of no immediate conversational value.
5: With the stuff that is of high conversational value, create many real world scenarios on your own, and work through them repeatedly. This usually replaces the artificial exercises in the textbooks.
6: Go to internet chat rooms where speakers of the target language congregate, and try to use as many of the new words and phrases as possible. Take notes of things that you do not understand and look them up later use.
7: Make a video in the target language, and ask for feedback from native speakers, and for volunteers who would be happy to chat with you in the language.

I am sure this is a terrible oversimplification, but it certainly does seem to be a common pattern mentioned across many of the videos and comments. Perhaps others (maybe even Moses!) can improve on this understanding.

Edited by Splog on 13 August 2009 at 10:29am

6 persons have voted this message useful

Fasulye
Heptaglot
Winner TAC 2012
Germany
fasulyespolyglotblog
Joined 5628 days ago

5460 posts - 6006 votes 
1 sounds
Speaks: German*, DutchC1, EnglishB2, French, Italian, Spanish, Esperanto
Studies: Latin, Danish, Norwegian, Turkish
Personal Language Map

Message 75 of 221
13 August 2009 at 2:12pm | IP Logged 
Splog, this is a good overview of the methods Moses uses. For more details it`s of course recommendable watching Moses` own explanations he gives in his videos. What he studies of his languages he always wants to put directly into practice by using internet chatrooms of his target languages.

Fasulye

AlejandroMendoz
Canada
Joined 5406 days ago

24 posts - 24 votes
Studies: French, English*

Message 76 of 221
14 August 2009 at 3:16am | IP Logged 
Thank you,Splog. I have watched several of his Moses' Videos already but right now that
is kind of difficult considering i have a pair of busted Speakers.

Asiafeverr
Diglot
Hong Kong
Joined 6123 days ago

346 posts - 431 votes 
1 sounds
Speaks: French*, English
Studies: Mandarin, Cantonese, Shanghainese, German

Message 77 of 221
30 August 2009 at 6:04am | IP Logged 
I am currently studying Shanghainese with Moses every Friday, Sunday and Monday at 9pm Eastern Time (9am the next day here). He usually skims through the book looking for keywords like when/what/where/how. We then make up questions that we are likely to be asked by native speakers and come up with answers. Between each sessions he asks me to make up 5 questions using specific words he plans to work on during the next session and he also makes 5 questions. After a few hours of studying with him I can now introduce myself, tell people why and how I am learning the language, etc. Since this covers 90% of what native speakers talk about when they first meet me, most of them think I understand a lot more than I do and do not believe I've only studied the language for less than a month.

Fasulye
Heptaglot
Winner TAC 2012
Germany
fasulyespolyglotblog
Joined 5628 days ago

5460 posts - 6006 votes 
1 sounds
Speaks: German*, DutchC1, EnglishB2, French, Italian, Spanish, Esperanto
Studies: Latin, Danish, Norwegian, Turkish
Personal Language Map

Message 78 of 221
31 August 2009 at 4:27am | IP Logged 
I am also a polyglot working with a studygroup, therefore I am very interested in getting an in insight how Moses works with his studypartners. So with a language on a beginner level it's more chosing important words and then composing sentences with them. In my studygroup we use the traditional method using textbbooks and working through them by starting with Unit 1 and ending with Unit 20. It's our Turkish studygroup, but we're planning to study Danish as well from January 2011 - July 2011 to prepare my visit of the Universala Esperanto Kongreso in Kopenhagen in 2011.
Fasulye

Edited by Fasulye on 31 August 2009 at 4:33am

Al-Irelandi
United Kingdom
Joined 5316 days ago

111 posts - 177 votes 
Speaks: English*

Message 79 of 221
29 September 2009 at 6:37pm | IP Logged 
Greetings all.

I would like to thank both Professor Arguelles and Moses McCormick for their beneficial videos and information. Their input has been truly inspirational and highly motivational in pushing me forth on traversing the path of 'polyglottery'.

Carl
2 persons have voted this message useful

Shadow1984
Groupie
United States
Joined 5270 days ago

53 posts - 57 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: German

Message 80 of 221
16 November 2009 at 11:44pm | IP Logged 
Hello Moses,
I just wanted to say that I am new to learning languages but you are a real inspiration! I have watched your youtube videos and that is how I found out about this site. Thank you for all of the tips that you have shared!

This discussion contains 221 messages over 28 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version