United States
Joined 5598 days ago

121 posts - 232 votes 
Speaks: English*

Message 121 of 221
12 April 2010 at 6:08am | IP Logged 
m.alberto1 wrote:
hey Moses,
I saw your videos on youtube and was really inspired.
You inspired me. I'm thinking of putting up my own videos within the next few days because of you!!
Ang galing mo talaga. Naimpress mo ako!

Matthew

Talagang nagpapasalamat ako sainyo!

I would be very happy to see your videos. Perhaps you could make some Tagalog lessons for all of us over on youtube=^_^=

Moses
1 person has voted this message useful

hribecek
Triglot
Czech Republic
Joined 5131 days ago

1243 posts - 1458 votes 
Speaks: English*, Czech, Spanish
Studies: Italian, Polish, Slovak, Hungarian, Toki Pona, Russian

Message 122 of 221
12 April 2010 at 2:24pm | IP Logged 
Hi Moses
Maybe you missed my post on the previous page so I'll post it again.

Hi Moses

I've found this post and your achievements very interesting. Imagine what you'll have achieved in another 10 years, incredible.

I have a few questions for you if you'll be kind enough to answer them. Sorry if you've already answered them somewhere.

1) Do you have a precise list of the languages you've studied and levels of them anywhere? I'd be interested in knowing your levels in all of those languages in all the different disciplines - speaking, reading, writing etc.

2) Have you studied Czech yet? It's my number 1 foreign language.

3) Why is your name Laoshu? I'm a beginner at Mandarin and I think it means rat, doesn't it?

4) Do you ever suffer from lack of motivation and for example just watch TV or something because you don't feel like studying sometimes?

I expect you're very busy so thanks in advance for any reply.

laoshu505000
United States
Joined 5598 days ago

121 posts - 232 votes 

Message 123 of 221
13 April 2010 at 6:11am | IP Logged 
hribecek wrote:
Hi Moses

Hi Moses

I've found this post and your achievements very interesting. Imagine what you'll have achieved in another 10 years, incredible.

I have a few questions for you if you'll be kind enough to answer them. Sorry if you've already answered them somewhere.

1) Do you have a precise list of the languages you've studied and levels of them anywhere? I'd be interested in knowing your levels in all of those languages in all the different disciplines - speaking, reading, writing etc.

3) Why is your name Laoshu? I'm a beginner at Mandarin and I think it means rat, doesn't it?

4) Do you ever suffer from lack of motivation and for example just watch TV or something because you don't feel like studying sometimes?

Sorry for late reply again,

Things are crazy for me lately. To answer your questions though:

(1) I've made a video in the past on all of the languages I've studied, but not in all aspects. Perhaps I should make another one for that.

(2) No, I haven't started learning this language yet, but I will start on it eventually.

(3)Long story..haha! Yes, my nickname is ''Rat'' Perhaps I'll make a video telling this story.

(4) Motivation, I rarely get demotivated when it comes to learning languages, but there's a possibility that I could if I can't find people to practice with-even that rarely happens. As far as other things triggering motivation, I like to listen to certain kinds of music and watch certain movies, typically old school kung-fu fliks. For so,me reason, I get pumped up whenever I watch those..haha.

Again, sorry for this late reply. I hope I've answered your questions thoroughly. I think I'm gonna have to make a video about my Chinese nickname. Talk to you soon.

Best,
MM

Edited by laoshu505000 on 13 April 2010 at 6:12am

laoshu505000
United States
Joined 5598 days ago

121 posts - 232 votes 

Message 124 of 221
13 April 2010 at 6:12am | IP Logged 
laoshu505000 wrote:
hribecek wrote:
Hi Moses

Hi Moses

Sorry for late reply again,

Things are crazy for me lately. To answer your questions though:

(1) I've made a video in the past on all of the languages I've studied, but not in all aspects. Perhaps I should make another one for that.

(2) No, I haven't started learning this language yet, but I will start on it eventually.

(3)Long story..haha! Yes, my nickname is ''Rat'' Perhaps I'll make a video telling this story.

(4) Motivation, I rarely get demotivated when it comes to learning languages, but there's a possibility that I could if I can't find people to practice with-even that rarely happens. As far as other things triggering motivation, I like to listen to certain kinds of music and watch certain movies, typically old school kung-fu fliks. For some reason, I get pumped up whenever I watch those..haha.

Again, sorry for this late reply. I hope I've answered your questions thoroughly. I think I'm gonna have to make a video about my Chinese nickname. Talk to you soon.

Best,
MM

Smart
Tetraglot
United States
Joined 5121 days ago

352 posts - 398 votes 
Speaks: Spanish, English*, Latin, French
Studies: German

Message 125 of 221
13 April 2010 at 8:47am | IP Logged 
Moses is VERY talented. I plan to be just like him in the future :D

hribecek
Triglot
Czech Republic
Joined 5131 days ago

1243 posts - 1458 votes 
Speaks: English*, Czech, Spanish
Studies: Italian, Polish, Slovak, Hungarian, Toki Pona, Russian

Message 126 of 221
14 April 2010 at 9:09am | IP Logged 
Thanks for the reply Moses, I appreciate how many messages you must get from people like me.

Does anyone know where I can find the video of Moses talking about all his language levels?

I'm pretty motivated but, my biggest problem is that I love languages so much that I can't stop reading about them on sites like this when I should be actually studying them!

Thanks again
2 persons have voted this message useful

Budz
Octoglot
Australia
languagepump.com
Joined 6155 days ago

118 posts - 171 votes 
Speaks: German*, English, Russian, Esperanto, Ukrainian, Mandarin, Cantonese, French
Studies: Italian, Spanish, Korean, Portuguese, Bulgarian, Persian, Hungarian, Kazakh, Swahili, Vietnamese, Polish

Message 127 of 221
14 April 2010 at 5:12pm | IP Logged 
Yeah it's funny. First we had the 'professor' and he was treated like a god and everyone had to ask questions as if he knew all the answers. Well, the professor really was a god because he wouldn't even allow frivolous comments.

Now it's Moses. Yes, he has a good knowledge of a huge number of obscure languages and if you want to know some sources for how to learn some of them, then his videos are a must. But people are asking him questions that are ridiculously out of his territory.

I'm sure Moses would agree. If you want to learn a language... give it a go and work at it. That's how you bloody learn. There's no point asking someone else how they did it. You know how they did it? By working at it. There's no magic.

7 persons have voted this message useful

Budz
Octoglot
Australia
languagepump.com
Joined 6155 days ago

118 posts - 171 votes 
Speaks: German*, English, Russian, Esperanto, Ukrainian, Mandarin, Cantonese, French
Studies: Italian, Spanish, Korean, Portuguese, Bulgarian, Persian, Hungarian, Kazakh, Swahili, Vietnamese, Polish

Message 128 of 221
14 April 2010 at 5:25pm | IP Logged 
By the way, there's no point listening/watching a video of Moses talking about his level of the languages he speaks. That can only be done by native speakers of the languages he speaks.

He obviously can speak extemporaneously in many obscure languages. That's very impressive. If he were learning those languages exclusively then the standard of any of them probably wouldn't be so impressive. But that's the whole point - he's not learning just one language.

I'm learning about 10 languages myself and I can converse in another ten. But that's it - it's a conversational level. I suspect it's similar to Moses' level. If you're in the country and you meet someone there that can't speak English - then you have not the slightest difficulty in having a conversation... and that is a fantastic experience. Compare that with people that go to China to 'teach' English and think they've experience China but can't speak any Chinese... but they think because they can say 'hello' and 'thank you' they're experts on China.

This discussion contains 221 messages over 28 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version